Bertrram 31 moppie totally open

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

totalsports

Bertrram 31 moppie totally open

Post by totalsports »

Hi, I'm new to the site and not computer savy, I have a bertram 1962 31 moppie open, hull no. 24 . I only know of one other like mine, so I dont get a chance to talk to anybody about it. I wonder about its value, and many other question about it, I live in the detroit area on lake St clair, and know the boat was bought new, in Miami and brought to honey harbor canada where it spent most of I'ts life. Looking for any comment or info thanks.
Yannis

Re: Bertrram 31 moppie totally open

Post by Yannis »

Its value is the one YOU give to it.

As for how different your boat is, compared to the majority here, consider that the most frequented and commented upon thread in the last year or so, is about a boat which is not even a Bertram.

Shoot your concerns and there will always be someone to advise something helpful.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Welcome.

When you say it is a Moppie Open, is it the Bahia Mar model. If it is we have several members who run the Bahia Mar.

Moppie is a generic term that is used for our boats. Moppie was actually Richard Bertram's wife's nickname and I believe that is what he named the first one that he raced.

As far as value, that is tough to say. We would need to know the condition and engines. Diesels are worth more. Just redone she is worth more.

Then the issue is what ever price we think it is, can you find someone to buy it for that price. For a while now the price's on our boats have been down, but now they are starting to creep up again. I have seen some redone 31's going for over $100,000. Question is, will someone pay that price.

So value is tough without more information.

In any event ask away, all questions are welcome and non are bad questions. You will find that outside of those of us who have known each other for a while, giving each other a hard time, no one will ever criticize you for the questions you ask or for what you might decide to do to your boat to make it look different.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Photos would help with the answer.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

Open makes me think your talking about the 31' Runabout.

They also made one of these with a hardtop called the Sedan. I think Whaler had one of those.
I've seen one Runabout and one sedan, both where in the yacht club where I bought my boat back behind the Island.
Definitely not alot of them around....its gotta haul being sooo light.

So is that what you have?

As was said, Moppie was Richard Bertram's nickname for his wife...he called many Bertram's "Moppie" I think my electrical panel has Moppie screeen printed on it.

Oh...welcome aboard!
neil

Post by neil »

The pic that Carl posted is a mop pie,I have a 25 moppie
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Honey Harbour/Georgian Bay is my neck of the woods.
There were/are a few 31 moppies, open convertibles and hardtops, up here.
One of the B31 opens was in my marina for acouple of years docked next to my B25 open.
That was at least one computer ago, so I'm struggling to find the pic's I took of them together.
The 31 open moppie was the twin of the 25, just stretched out 6'.
Though the windshield on the 31 looked a little goofy/unfinished.
All are great day/commuter boats.
Honey Harbour is a hub for island and water access only camps on Southern Georgian Bay.
There's probably acouple dozen Bertrams and Hunts birthed within a 2km radius.
Good, bad, and ugly, but all still turn heads and impress with their capabilities.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Carl

Post by Carl »

A few pictures to share from Tommy Drake

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bizarre that all these Moppies have single lever commands!
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

that has to be a VERY wet boat. My Bahia is wet, cannot imagine running it without the hard top and curtains and not soaking myself and everyone on board.

There is a 31 here on Lake Erie that looks like those pictured, but with a hardtop, that looks to be factory. Agree with others who said pictures would help.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for posting the pics, Carl; I'm still deficient in "Computer 101".
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Yannis wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 07:09 Bizarre that all these Moppies have single lever commands!
Question for you guys as I am ordering new controls soon... I am assuming it’s best to keep with transmission gear/throttle dedicated levers (4 lever system) vs a combined gear/throttle lever?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine has two quadrants with the throttles on one side and the shifters on the other. I feel like the levers are more sensitive this way. I prefer them that way, but others have different preferences.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 07:09 Bizarre that all these Moppies have single lever commands!
So does my 31 Express
Yannis wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 07:09 Question for you guys as I am ordering new controls soon... I am assuming it’s best to keep with transmission gear/throttle dedicated levers (4 lever system) vs a combined gear/throttle lever?
Single Lever Dual Purpose Levers are great till you get used to them...then run some ones else's boat without them.

The other down sides which I doubt has little to any effect on you is trying to hit a certain idle speed when trolling...they have alot going on inside and tend to go too far, not far enough or lever springs back some. The other down side is setting up a 2nd station, with these one set of cables piggy back the other adding more slop.

Personally I like as its so easy and takes up less room and you get used to how they work.
cariedl wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 09:23 that has to be a VERY wet boat. My Bahia is wet, cannot imagine running it without the hard top and curtains and not soaking myself and everyone on board.
Up sides are:

-the boat is light, on top of the water so spray should find it way behind when running.

-get wet and you just have to stand up to be blown dry in the breeze.

I have been told the 31's are Florida built boats to be run in warm waters and a splash here and there wasn't a big issue.

Tommy wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 09:30 Thanks for posting the pics, Carl; I'm still deficient in "Computer 101".
My pleasure Tommy.

My learning to use computers was sink or swim.
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick responses!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tavis,

With single commands you have faster reactions.
This is particularly useful when you’re singlehanded or manoeuvering in tight spots, especially when mooring and it’s windy.

I was used to outboards with single levers, but didn't take long till I got used to the new double lever scheme.
However, with double levers you can make expensive damage if you’re not careful.
Like I once forgot I was on 1500rpm, thinking I was still in idle, and shifted from N to FWD.
It’s one of those noises that hurt your inner self...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tavis wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 09:51 Question for you guys as I am ordering new controls soon... I am assuming it’s best to keep with transmission gear/throttle dedicated levers (4 lever system) vs a combined gear/throttle lever?

They both work very well. The dual action are a bit more of a pain to setup and adjust, have a few parts that need a bit more lubricating but it's really not a big deal.

Single Level, single action take up more real estate, not quite as instinctive to use, but extreme simple to install and adjust. As Rawleigh mentioned they can be responsive too. If you consider the travel on the throttles goes from idle to Wot in say 130 degrees on single action. The same 130°travel on Dual action controls goes from full astern to neutral to full ahead in the same 135°

What it comes down to is what fits best and personal preference.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ours came through with single lever dual function. I am so used to them I do not give them a second thought. Replaced them with a newer edition when we repowered. They do not creep or spring back as Carl has suggested. That has never been a problem.

The only issue I have with the new ones is that they have a built in set point when you go into gear. Well so do the ZF Transmissions, so I have two set point to pass through. That is the pay I have now. I should probably file down the one on the transmission.

As to Yannis comment, you can do some serious damage with single lever also. Go from forward to reverse to fast and you will know real quick. That prop is still spinning fast if you try and reverse from forward real quick.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 22:14 I am so used to them I do not give them a second thought.
They do not creep or spring back as Carl has suggested. That has never been a problem.
You hit right on the head Tony...We are "so used to them". I see it when someone else takes the helm and they have a tough time tweaking the rpm as its just a minute nudge of the lever for a difference. That also makes a small spring back/creep a larger rpm variation.
I think it comes back to they are just different, it's not really a problem. Up side is they are extremely intuitive and take up much less space.
However, if considering the two I like to give both the up and down sides before committing.
Tony Meola wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 22:14The only issue I have with the new ones is that they have a built in set point when you go into gear. Well so do the ZF Transmissions, so I have two set point to pass through. That is the pay I have now. I should probably file down the one on the transmission.
If you have ZF transmissions, the Shift Lever IS clamped onto the transmissions Shift Shaft making them infinitly adjustable. Disconnect cable terminal from shift lever, loosen the clamp bolt, then match cable travels, re-clamp, re-attach and verify.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I will have to take a look at that in the spring. As well as make sure the transmissions shift before I launch. LOL.

Had an issue last year, could not get the Port Transmission to move. The linkage froze up. I had lubricated it before winter set had set in. Had to use a hammer to tap it into gear. Once it moved I was fine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Froze how? Ice or locked up?

Cable I'd hope over the transmission.

Although on my old BW's it was an easy fix taking shaft out, cleaning surfaces, I think there was an O-ring I replaced, then reinstalling. EZ fix after someone explained it to me when I thought I had a major gearbox problem. Those trans were tougher to setup as you had to get the Control indents and cable travel to coincide with each of the ball indents on trans. Only way I got it to work with the 2nd station piggy back was to add another hole on the lever.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

The shift cable was free. We took it off the linkage and it moved free. For some reason something, the linkage, the transmission was frozen and would not move. Tapped it with a hammer and it actually moved. Then we were fine. Can't imagine what froze up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tavis wrote: Mar 1st, '21, 09:51 Question for you guys as I am ordering new controls soon... I am assuming it’s best to keep with transmission gear/throttle dedicated levers (4 lever system) vs a combined gear/throttle lever?
Tavis,

I installed Glenn Dinning controls on my boat (Palm Beach style levers) and love them. Significant improvement over the old controls with transmission in one hand and throttles in another. They aren't cheap but they sure are nice!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the reply's guys! With the hurricane down here I lost track of this thread. The pics you guys posted of the Convertible Sport Cruiser is exactly what I was thinking of. Very cool boat! Sounds like only a few of them were made though. It seems like all of the builders are producing the "Dual Console" boats now to target the family cruiser market--The Bertram 31 convertible sport cruiser was a big open family cruiser that was WAY before it's time. I saw one for sale on Yacht World many years ago, and wasn't sure if it was another model that someone cut the flybridge off of. Good to know that Bertram actually marketed and produced a few of these.

JR
neil

Post by neil »

My 25 ft mop pie is dryer than my 31 Bahia mar yes she does have curtains for some reason the mop pie just pushes aside
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

That has been my experience too.
B25 has more flair from the chine up at the bow...that's probably why.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035