ZF Transmission and Electronic Microprocessor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

ZF Transmission and Electronic Microprocessor

Post by THESALTYSATO »

I had an unusual situation today. When docking the boat I first tested my reverse on both engines and everything was fine and then the starboard engine gave me a problem. I the put the std in reverse and back to neutral. The std then went into reverse by itself and back to neutral- then into reverse again on its own although the control was still in neutral. I shifted to forward and fine and then back to reverse and back to neutral and it did the same thing. After several more times of this occurring it actually accelerated in reverse one time on its own. I pulled away from the dock and played with the control and it continued to do the same thing of going into reverse and back to neutral on its own and also into forward occasionally. Has anyone had a similar situation? As I see it - it has to be in the mechanical cable(which appears fine) to the processor, the micrprocessor, the wire from the binnacle to the processor or the binnacle itself. Any thoughts before I go see the ZF doctor? I have Yanmar 6 LP engines with ZF Hurth 2.0:1and ZF Mathers MicroCommander electronic controls that were probably installed in about 2002 when the engines were installed. Thanks
Amberjack

Re: ZF Transmission and Electronic Microprocessor

Post by Amberjack »

I have the same Yanmar and ZF package except with Hynautic engine controls which come with their own maddening issues. My transmission has never "hunted" as yours does which argues against the possibility of your linkage being out of adjustment and poised indecisively between neutral and reverse. They are either in gear or not in gear and they stay there. Try disconnecting the electronic controls and manually shifting back and forth without the electronic controls to see if it still happens. If the erratic behavior isn't recreated it must be the controls.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Amberjack thanks- great idea. I am not very mechanical but will try to give it a try this weekend.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Amberjack
I did a you suggested- it is in the controls.
I researched the internet and found an individual in your area. His name is Bill Roberts and he used to run the service department for ZF Mather(Roberts Maritime Systems LLC-(360-914-0256) Wonderful individual on the phone and gave me some ideas to try to pinpoint whether it is the control head or the microprocessor. I have the 585CE Mathers MicroCommander actuator. Today he had me remove the binnacle and check the wiring to see if the eight wire connections were tight as well as any play in the shift lever. Tomorrow I am to open up the box to the microprocessor and he is going to walk me through the process to to check the voltage on each of the 8 wires that control the system to determine if is the binnacle control or the microprocessor. If you ever have a problem , I believe he is the go to person. He can repair, sell you a rebuilt(exchange) or sell you new. Extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Again thanks for your comments and suggestions.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

To follow up on the progress of my controls. Last week Bill Roberts assisted me on the phone to further trouble shoot the problem and we came to the conclusion that the the binnacle was probably the problem. Also after I sent him pictures of inside the two microprocessors -he informed me that I had the boards already installed for synchronizing the engines but they had never been connected. First I ordered a new binnacle which arrived on Friday and he included the necessary connecting wire for the synchronization . I called him yesterday (Saturday) and he returned my call in a few minutes. Bill walked me through the wiring of the binnacle and sent me a diagram of the correct wiring color pattern . I tested the binnacle at the dock and everything appears to be working properly and not going in and out of reverse on its own. This week after I use the boat some to make sure everything is OK he told me to call and he would assist in finalizing the wiring to synchronize the controls. UNBELIEVABLE service.
If anyone has ZF controls I would definitely recommend Bill.