Bertram 25 Companion Way Hatch Hinge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertram 25 Companion Way Hatch Hinge

Post by 163 »

Hi,
I am looking for a hinge for my Bertram 25 hatch. The specific hinge is the one that attaches the small wood piece that hangs down over the door. This is the only one I am missing. All of the others are fine.

Would someone take a minute to post a picture of their hatch, specifically the hinge I am referencing? A source to purchase one would also be very helpful. I have checked with High Tide Marine and they have no idea what I a talking about.

Thanks in advance!
HotSpot

Re: Bertram 25 Companion Way Hatch Hinge

Post by HotSpot »

Hi there,

Here's a pic of the hinge I think you are referring to.

Hopefully this can help you locate a replacement.
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

HotSpot,

Can you take an overall pic of the original hatch / door? When I got my boat it was gone, I am curious what the original setup was.
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

I’ll see what I can dig up. Currently the boat is in hibernation under two covers and a blanket of snow.

However, I have the panels in disassembled state here with me for refinishing, sans brackets. I’ll mock it up at the very least so you can see how it works.
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

Here are some more pics of this hatch in various configurations. What may not be clear is that there is a piano hinge between the two sections of the top of this hatch that allow it to fold under itself to open. The sides of the top are wider than the opening of the companionway, thereby allowing it to rest on top. The vertical piece which holds the locking mechanism for the door is narrower and will drop between the opening of the companionway with little gap on either side.

ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Thank you for the pics.

Post by 163 »

Hotspot,
You nailed it. I'm looking for the 'piano hinge' that you describe connecting the small piece that hangs down, with the lock in it, that attaches to the larger piece that is flat across the top.

My pieces of wood were repainted and have holes that match the spacing and number of screws in your picture.

I will start my search from there. If anyone has a detail pic of that hinge it would help even more.

Thanks,
Everyone!
HotSpot

Post by HotSpot »

Hi 163

The piano hinge I mentioned connects the two horizontal panels and allows them to fold in half so that the front section can be moved toward the bow and out of the way.

The vertical panel with the lock is simply joined to the horizontal panel with screws from the top as you described. There’s no hinge there. It’s fixed in place.

Please let me know if this helps.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

The hatch on my 25 FBSF has two piano hinges, one mounted on the boat and the other is 1/3 of the way toward the opening. The whole thing folds out and lands exactly on the doors where there is a tongue and groove connection that captures the top of the doors. The vertical panel is tapered on both sides from top to bottom to follow the line of the companionway hatch. There is a hasp that then locks on one of the doors so one lock secures all three elements.

Post by 163 »

I have a hook that can hold the hatch open, it attaches to the windshield. Because of this I am concerned about screwing the small board straight to the top board. I believe eventually the screws would come out. Also the holes in the small board don’t match the ones in the top board. There was something else there at one time.

I am going to look for some kind of hinge. We will see what I can come up with.

Thanks again everyone.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

My companionway door and hatch and all hardware are sitting in my garage. Do you still need info on this? The boat looks like this right now:

Imagebulkheads reemoved - 1 by ttownthomas, on Flickr