She is home!!!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tavis

She is home!!!!!

Post by Tavis »

Sorry guys... It is has been awhile since I have posted, we were pretty busy through the holidays, and I cheated a few times on the Bertram 31 society Facebook group...

She finally made it home!!! As you guys warned me, I am spending more than I anticipated.... Hindsight is 2020 (that has a new meaning now!), I should have just cut the tower and shipped it the day I bought the boat... But no crying over spilled milk, our boat is home!!!!

After spending a day on her on the hard, some things are in better condition than I anticipated, and some things are far worse... The electrical is horrific. She is a floating bonfire waiting to happen. Aside from birds nest wires everywhere, some of the engine wire harness leads are done with speaker wire... I have been reading posts here on complete rewires... It need to happen now, including all new harnesses and sending units for the engine... I am going to read a bit here, then ask some questions.

Here is the order of my rebuild at this point;

1. rewire, engine harnesses, new gauges/switches
2. control cables and levers
3. rebuild rear decks and new engine boxes (maybe raise scuppers and relocate exhaust)
4. glass front windshield in
5. top to bottom new paint and new rubrail
6. new hardtop
7.new electronics

This order may change... But the goal is to continue using the boat between phases... Pics follow:

https://imgur.com/a/7luLHF9
Tommy

Re: She is home!!!!!

Post by Tommy »

Congratulations Tavis,

The Patty May looks good at your place; now let the fun begin! You've got a solid boat that you are improving, so the money and time will be well-placed. What might be the new name?
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Her new name is, Attitude Indicator.”

We will be conducting a proper name changing ceremony soon :).
Carl

Post by Carl »

I am not saying not to do your list of absolutely needed items....but remember she has made it 30-40 year ok without your intervention. So "maybe" relax, enjoy and get a feel for what got her through the last 20-30 years and ease into the projects.

Then again if you have the means to get it all done...my mouth is shut.

Great looking boat, best of luck to you.

Carl
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tavis

She looks good. Cosmetically in pretty good shape. Wiring is easy if you think about it and take your time. The only pain is getting the wires up the pilister to the bridge.

When we repowered the Diesel Mechanic found that when he hit a block in running the cables to the transmission in the pilister, one of those TV cameras allowed him to see where he had room to run the lines. They can be had fairly reasonable at Harbor Freight if you do not have one already.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Tony, Thanks for the advice on the camera, I will look into one for sure.

Carl, That is also great advice... I certainly do not have the means to do it all at once... The glass work can certainly wait, I was hoping to wait on the electrical.... but it looks pretty dangerous...

Where do you guys recommend mounting batteries? Currently there are literally wedged (no tie downs or anything securing them) onto the shelves outboard of the motors. I would like to put a generator (port) and hot water heater (starboard) in those locations... What about mounting batteries under the settee on the port side? I am currently am running two group 31 batteries, and would like to add one more isolated by a diode for the house...
Carl

Post by Carl »

My 3 batteries are mounted on a shelf dead center between motors, right in front of rear bulkhead. Short simple run to starters with switches and isolator that are mounted on the bulkhead.

Dangerous as you said gets addressed ASAP or sooner. Odd your surveyor did not mention...

On a good note, our boats allow good access in most places. Yes sometimes panels have to be removed...but they can be removed and replaced. That and they are pretty simple boats so not SOO much wiring. Another silver lining, getting in there is a good way to learn her.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

as UV would say
time
money
patience
boat looks good
best of luck with her
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

if you have to open up the pilisters i would recommend
installing some pvc conduit with drag lines for future use
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John F.

Post by John F. »

Everything on your list, except the wiring, is optional. I'd take care of the wiring first. I took out a 5 gallon bucket of wiring to nowhere out of both my 31s when I got them. Once the old dead wiring was out, I just needed to replace some and fix others to make the boats safe.

So, I'd take care of the wiring first. Then run the boat and see what you want to do next. Your priority list will be pretty clear after using the boat a bit. Have fun.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rewire.
I used 110meters of wire, new battery switches, I had a good electrician.
I waived the jenny I put solars.
I make ice every day.
I have a-gas bottle instant water heater.
Solar and butane are a class above anything else.
Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
micky

Post by micky »

The easiest way of doing the electrical is ripping everything out first.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you use the external strainers you can eliminate the internal Groco's that are usually between the engines. Then you can set up a shelf in the center under the companion way, as Carl said. That will get you 3 possibly 4 if needed, dead center and low. You can either purchase holders or battery box's or build one.

I think building one gives you more options on how they will sit and how the wires can be run. Simple to build, one out of plywood and glass it. Not sure if you can build one out of Azek or similar material. If you can they can be easily be made tight enough to hold any acid that would spill if a battery cracked. Little PVC glue on the edges put them together and instant seal.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Ashley (wife), son, and I just finished a 4 hour drive to visit family on the west coast of Florida, we talked about the Bertram project the entire way. After y'all's inputs, we decided we are going to be gutting every bit of wire, starting this week when we get home. Also based on your suggestions, we are going to mount a 3 battery system between the engines under the companion way. Tank 2 of the crazy 3 tank system, is currently occupying that space between the engines, I am going to be pulling fuel tank 2 and 3. She literally has diesel tankage from the forward v berth bulkhead to the rudders.... I guess the last owner would steam from Oak Island to Europe occasionally :).

Any recommendations on an economical source for marine wire?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

micky wrote: Jan 15th, '21, 18:49 The easiest way of doing the electrical is ripping everything out first.
Agreed. I started just fooling around with individual circuits then just ripped everything out including all the engine harnesses.

The second thing that I would suggest is to take a good look at the steering hoses. Those hydraulic hoses don't last forever. I replaced mine because I broke one. I also bought a spare!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tavis wrote: Jan 16th, '21, 09:59 Tank 2 of the crazy 3 tank system, is currently occupying that space between the engines, I am going to be pulling fuel tank 2 and 3. She literally has diesel tankage from the forward v berth bulkhead to the rudders.... I guess the last owner would steam from Oak Island to Europe occasionally :).

Any recommendations on an economical source for marine wire?

Tank 1,2 & 3....holy cow with the 210's I think you said she has...what is the range with full tanks?

Thanks for the laugh...economical marine wire. Your funny...

If you asked about economical terminals I'd be rolling on the floor.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony is right... Bestboatwire.com is where I had my battery cables made.
Exact size, color with shrink wrapped ends, correct terminals for much less then standard length cables and I got them very quick...even though they were backed up with orders.
Pricing was about what it would cost to walk into a Car Parts place and have made...except correct ends and marine cable.
Now it is kinda true each cable was "somewhat inexpensive" but order 15-20 of them...
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Carl wrote: Jan 16th, '21, 15:04 Tank 1,2 & 3....holy cow with the 210's I think you said she has...what is the range with full tanks?

Thanks for the laugh...economical marine wire. Your funny...

If you asked about economical terminals I'd be rolling on the floor.
I will get some pics for you guys when we get home of the tank setup... Crazy.... you should see the fuel manifold and valves...

I guess I should have said best place for wire, not economical :).
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Thanks for the resources... This week we start pulling wires... I am going to pull everything, including engine harnesses and gauges....
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Carl wrote: Jan 17th, '21, 09:21 Tony is right... Bestboatwire.com is where I had my battery cables made.
Exact size, color with shrink wrapped ends, correct terminals for much less then standard length cables and I got them very quick...even though they were backed up with orders.
Pricing was about what it would cost to walk into a Car Parts place and have made...except correct ends and marine cable.
Now it is kinda true each cable was "somewhat inexpensive" but order 15-20 of them...
Ashley said to just pull the bandaid off quick and spend the $$ to rewire it all... I promised her fresh Mahi in exchange.... I figure the fish will only coast me about $10,000 a pound. Seems like a good deal :).
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

All good stuff! I pulled all the dead wires out of mine when I bought it and repaired the remaining. Now of coarse I am rewiring the whole boat with the refit. I put a battery box under the companion way it will hold four group 31s. It was made from coosa.
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Here is a link to some pictures of the battery box. https://imgur.com/gallery/ieHDA0N
Jason
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

That is a beautiful job building that box.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That is a nice box. You do great work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks guys! I will make some more posts I have hundreds of pictures. I’ve been at it for three years.i have learned lots from this site and want to share.
Jason
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Snipe wrote: Jan 18th, '21, 04:55 Thanks guys! I will make some more posts I have hundreds of pictures. I’ve been at it for three years.i have learned lots from this site and want to share.
I know I am learning a ton from this community. I cant wait to have experience to contribute! Pease share more pics!
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Here is a pic of the center fuel tank that I will be pulling out in the next week or so.

https://imgur.com/a/8qULt9z
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That's great! I love that last picture...the joys of the unknown!

I'm weird with wire, but I would disassemble the wiring carefully. First, test everything so you know what works and what doesn't work in-situ. Take pictures of the connections on each device. Try to work out a schematic of how she's wired now. Sketch it out on a legal pad for each device. Inputs, outputs and wire sizes/colors. Cut wires at devices, but leave enough wire attached to remind you what was there.

It's easier to create, than to re-create. You'll be engaged in the latter.

I bought most of my wire from West Marine. They had some crazy 50% off sale on wire spools at the time...got lucky.

Good luck!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tavis

I find that labeling the wiring helps also. I use a P- touch that uses the TZ tapes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I have no affiliation with this ebay seller, I bought all new full spools of anchor marine wire from them this last summer, I think the prices from the vendor were quite good and they had free shipping
16/2 100' $42
14/2 100' $50
12/2 100' $65
2/0 heavy battery cable 25' $125

https://www.ebay.com/usr/luna-marine