running aground boblico

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bobfioresi

running aground boblico

Post by bobfioresi »

hi bob heard you were shinning up your props in great south bay the other day my son said your boat looked great he was the little boat that pulled you off when you ran aground with little 17'' footer hope you had no damage bob fioresi 31 bertram FRAYED KNOT
scenarioL113

Re: running aground boblico

Post by scenarioL113 »

south bay is tough, I almost ran aground last week just west of Captree. Most of the buoys are out and I was def in the channel but I clearly saw the bottom just feet off my starboard side (maybe 12 inches worth)......slam the throttles down and neutral....as my wife is yelling "what the hell are you doing, I almost spilled my wine"..... you just cant cant make this up....
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Is t it a joy. They pulled the buoys for the Babylon and Lindenhurst cut a few weeks back. It’s a real nail biter now. We got forced aground in the summer when a 40’ boat decided to take over the state channel and push us off course between frank and ducks and cedar.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I don't like your channels WITH the buoys...never mind without them.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Nov 17th, '20, 06:50 Is t it a joy. They pulled the buoys for the Babylon and Lindenhurst cut a few weeks back. It’s a real nail biter now. We got forced aground in the summer when a 40’ boat decided to take over the state channel and push us off course between frank and ducks and cedar.
Pete, I have always used Jones Inlet but the last month or two I have been goin out Fire Island for Stripers. The Lindenhurst cut had the buoys removed but they were still there for the Babylon cut (This was like 3 weeks ago). It is quicker to go the "cuts" than to go under the big Robert Moses Bridge. When I returned home I cut thru Captree and went thru the Babylon Cut so I could mark a bread crumb trail on the Chartplotter (which I did). I was thinking maybe those buoys stayed in but then 3 days later they were gone...

I guess it is safer to just go the long wayyyy....smh

@Carl, every boater that moved from Brooklyn to Long Island says the same thing....No damn water on Long Island...so true!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You guys should come on down to Barnegat Bay. Not too bad if you are up on a fly bridge and the sun is right, but if not there are some spots in the channel to the inlet that are really really skinny.

I think from Montauk to Cape May, we all face the same situation in some sections.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my son was driving while i was setting the course for offshore location he starts looking at the chart and question me why i wanted this wreck instead of the one he wants and takes eyes off the water right before a tight turn to West Island and at 30 knots he was in two feet of water in seconds he pull back the throttles before going aground in the sand bar SOO00 son you get out and push i am not starting engines in two ' of water. he carry anchor about 50 yards and drop it so he can use rope leverage to advance boat ----wow hard pulling and along comes a good samaritan with a little boat to give us that extra effort.he pull us 20 yards and we were in 4' of water so i started the engines and follow the contour with the furuno sonar chirp until in the channel appear and we were off and running no prop. damage what so ever but without your sons help we would have had to wait for high tide it was dead low at the time.i thank your son a hundred times and he would not take a tip -------you raised a find boy in impossible times,Best of health brother
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Thank God nothing happened! Bob F. your son rocks!

Bob L., did you catch anything that day?

David
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we lost so much time that we decided not to go to a 40 mile offshore wreck so instead we trolled for bass about 5 miles east of inlet .we caught a big bass and release it because there is a size limit of 36" in NY. we could not catch a small bass went home without any fish but a lesson was learn, first of all that water was freezing cold and partying the night before fishing is a no no. my son is a better Captain then i am as of late . at 74yo i fall asleep at the wheel with those fancy seats on the bridge (copy of 61 Bertram) mounted on shock absorbers and enlargeing the sonar display with chirp you get all kinds of thing laying on the bottom like watching Drain The Ocean program (national geographic channel) on tv. sleeping at the wheel not smart!!!! sitting on your leather recliner with 6" seat bottom ,air condition or heated bridge with Fusion stereo may not be the the best idea and never use autopilot ,remember the words " be careful what you wish for"
Last edited by bob lico on Nov 18th, '20, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

In case you need a sound track for the ride:

https://www.asleepatthewheel.com/
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my son installed Fusion stereo with sub woofer so driving in that big open ocean for hours listening to oldies on iPod tends to put you to sleep especially if your a old bastard.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

One thing I know for certain I have zero interest in having a stereo on the boat. Nice big leather seats I would love.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

bob lico wrote: Nov 18th, '20, 09:19 my son is a better Captain then i am as of late
Bob, I decided a while ago that my two sons were better at everything than I was. That I didn't figure this out even sooner was only due to the fact that I am also not as smart as they are.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Interesting post for an open forum...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan