New Outriggers. Need recomendations

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

New Outriggers. Need recomendations

Post by Ironworker »

My 31 had a set of old Rupp outriggers that are in pretty bad shape. Its likely going to take about $1000 to replace parts etc and I'll still have an old pair of riggers on the boat.

So I'm looking for new outriggers. What are the best outriggers for this boat that I should be looking at?

I appreciate your suggestions.

We made some decent progress this weekend installing the Glendinning engine controls and getting the Hynautic steering operable at both the tower and flybridge stations.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Dug

Re: New Outriggers. Need recomendations

Post by Dug »

Stay with Rupp. They are the best. Good deal on the other progress!!!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow and may run up to Stuart to check out the goods.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i had lee single extra stiff 22'
i guess it all depends on location and what your fishing for
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm strictly a offshore fishermen. The boat will be used in Florida and primarily in the Bahamas for trolling etc.

I spoke with Rupp this morning and they were most helpful. They recommend the 31 to 32' double spreader riggers. They are fairly pricey but then boats are cheaper than airplanes by a factor of ten. Interesting enough he said if there is one boat that they have installed virtually every kind of rigger on its the Bertram 31. He also added there have been some boats they have installed 3 or 4 different sets of riggers on.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

31' or 32 will look ridiculous, needing a 29 foot bridge clearance in FL was a colossal pain in the ass. i have a pair of 32's from rupp and i called them and they were able to custom turn new end points for me. I removed the last section and shortened them by something like 90 inches. Mine are from 1998, i took them all apart. had them powder coated black, the gold was reanodized, installed pullies instead of eye hooks and restrung them with colored spyder line. I think i spent $1900.00 for all of that with a few new parts and now they look brand new. I think a new set like mine were close to 10k delivered to me.

before
shortened
powdercoated
pulleys
layed out
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Ironworker can you start a post on your fly by wire controls? Im seriously considering doing that this winter. what is your engine setup and cost if you don't mind on the controls

Sean
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

happy too.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Wow, those outriggers cleaned up great.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I know that I will start an argument but that is what we do here so we all can learn and get each others opions, so I am going to say that o a 31, out riggers over 25 feet are too long for our boats.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

The top of the tower to the waterline on my boat is 20'. I was thinking 31 or 32' was a little long for this boat but Rupp seemed to think that was the magic number.

Which is exactly why I started this thread to get your opinions.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

out riggers over 25 feet are too long for our boats.
Just got a quote from Rupp...I believe their smallest are 28' (maybe '27), and the bare-bones (basic) set up for a pair of 28' single spreader tournaments was $5600 for the pair. Additions are provided as necessary (listed on their site)

Had been speaking with Lee Tackle several times of the last few months, and lets just say that my experience with regard to customer service was a bit lacking.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rupp and Lee make nice products and I do not think you could go wrong with either. If all else is about equal, go with price and customer service. I know dealing with Rupp years ago they were very helpful, not all about the upsell.

As to length, I am sure there are a bunch of perfect sizes but when it gets down to it, its your choice and your choice only.
I know when I traded a job for mine I thought they were too long @ 22' on long gunnel/cabin mount bases. After making a drawing, tracing a picture of the boat, then scaled the outriggers, it looked off. Made the outriggers shorter and shorter till they looked right, 19' was perfecto for me. A few strokes with a hack saw, turned a spike turned to fit top and I was done. Well that and adjust the double spreader placement a bit....and paint black...and that was it. What I think made it work best for me was to have the outrigger angle match the windshields angle then have tips extend to the transom. That changed a bit when tower went on and had rigger bases incorporated...but it was still pretty close.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Our boat original came through with the Lee Riggers with 19 foot poles and with the base they were 22 ft long.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've had great luck with 21' poles, no wires. Let 'em flex. Makes your presentation more lifelike.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315