Marine stereo recommendations?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

Marine stereo recommendations?

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi All,

I'd like to be able to get a stereo on the boat to be able to listen to music as well as some baseball games. Some friends have got stereos where the phone will link via bluetooth and take calls and play songs via the cellphone. The plan was to put 2 speakers in the cabin bulkheads as covered as possible from the elements, the head unit will be high up in my doghouse so it shouldn't take spray

I am not looking for anything special or high powered, as I don't expect to listen clearly while running. On the flip side, I don't want to be replacing components yearly.

recommendations?
Carl

Re: Marine stereo recommendations?

Post by Carl »

Whatever I recommend, buy something different.

I have bought expensive and cheap and have yet to have a system that sounds good. Jensen Marine sounded good on dads boat, so when my old $$ got lifted I went with that. Sounds ok...went with Bose speakers...sounds worse. Added a sub-woofer. Now deeper bass and speakers still sound lousy. Could be the chincy housing they came with. Chincy, not cheap...

Eh...someday I'll get it figured out. Although I put my money on the enclosures being inadequate in my side panels.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Carl,

When you say enclosures, you mean having something on the back side of the speakers makes a big difference?

Something I hadn't thought of, I was thinking as simple as drill 6 1/2" diameter hole high under the gunnel and have it free open in the cabin
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6hEzz35zTn9vEtyPA

I probably could make some type of speaker box inside the cabin - sorry for bad pic, I didn't take pics after wetting out the glass.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1NisXdWjNRjptboZ6
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Most of the subs I've seen for marine use are designed for free air - no enclosure necessary. I have a Rockford Fosgate PM-3 head, a small JL Audio amp, and 4 JL Audio speakers. Bluetooth and Sirius (I haven't signed up yet since the boat is grounded).

Sounds good with very limited use. Wife likes to bluetooth from her I-phone so she doesn't have to listen to my music!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
coolair

Post by coolair »

I Have had good luck with Fusion stereos. On our bay boat I have had a Fusion head unit and JL Audio speakers for going on 10 years and they still work and sound good, but the display on the radio has gone out. On the Bertram I just installed the new Fusion Hideaway head unit, signature series amp and 6 signature series speakers. We will see how long they last.
I have been told by the electrics guys the JL Audio speakers are the best...
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Dug

Post by Dug »

I like Fusion stereo’s and Bose speakers. But I’m not a wakeboarder. :)
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

ok, on the fusion. Been looking at their basic models - I haven't cut any holes in my dash and really don't want to do any patching in later so I am interested in any unit which would give me flexibility after it's useful life is over.

seems like all have similar power but NMEA2000 comes in at higher levels

RA-55 - $179 - small cut out - smaller than standard auto stereo
RA-70 - $249 - same size as standard auto stereo - has NMEA2000 - could be shown on electronics displays
BB100 - $289 - basic control pad - looks like 2.25" hole cut out - has 7' cable for wired control pad - has NMEA2000 - could be shown on electronics displays

is it worth $100 for the smaller circle cut out? Has anyone gone down the nmea2000 path for stuff like this before?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

JL audio is good stuff, enclosures are important with mid to low end freq.
Also amp tuning, crossover, gain controls is critical. When running blue tooth with phone, setup with phone audio all the way up, then adjust the gain with volume knob on radio. never control volume with your phone, it can make a good system sound like crap.

don't go with 3 way speakers, they never sound good. At the most mids use two way. Best is to use a seperate speaker for high, mid and sub.

Any sub that free flows and not loaded is going to over drive itself and sound weak.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have an RA-70 but not the NMEA 2000 model. I use it with the Fusion app and Bluetooth connection. The RA-70 has separate volume control for two zones so I run two speakers in the cabin directly off the RA-70 and then feed four speakers (2 6.5" speakers on the bridge and 2 7.5" speakers in the cockpit) from the second zone. This is nice to have music in the cabin while at the slip without impacting my neighbors.
I had a remote control on the bridge with a previous system but do not have that with the Fusion, I just use the bluetooth connection from my phone or iPad. I have had the bluetooth cut out a few times but not enough to be a concern for me. The RA-70 does come with a remote mute function. A brown wire if I remember correctly, that when grounded mutes the stereo. I have a toggle switch at the helm so I can override the music if I need to - I do not believe I have had any real need of it yet.
Details on the equipment are listed below. You are more than welcome to give it a test listen if you are in Rhode Island.

JL Audio - M650-CCX-SG-W
JL Audio - MX770-CCX-SG-W
Wet Sounds HT4

Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

I have the RA-70 with JL audio 6.5 inch speakers. I love the JL audio speakers, three years of issue free use. They are loud enough to hear music when the boat is at cruise.

The Fusion is a nice unit, but I'm not sure I would replace it with another Fusion unit when the time comes. My main issue with it is the interface on the phone. Unlike other Bluetooth devices you have to have the fusion app on your phone to control the volume. My unit is installed in the cabin, so instead of just being able to hit the volume buttons on the side of my phone to adjust the volume I have to unlock my phone, open the Fusion app then adjust the volume. Obviously, these are first world problems, but it's still annoying when trying to run the boat and back the music down when slowing down.

I have a JL audio Media Master and speakers installed on my golf cart and I love it. https://www.marinestereo.com/product/jl ... ckage.html No app required, smaller package, AM/FM, Bluetooth and an Aux outlet in the back.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I went with the Fusion RA-50 in a kit form with a pair of 6" speakers. I am going to mount the first set in the corners of my cabin bulkheads under the gunnel and the stereo high up next to my vhf in the doghouse. I may add another set of smaller speakers in the doghouse itself.

When I created the VHF panel, I also put a lip in the front of the doghouse so I could eventually enclose the area and hide any wiring, I have a piece of flat fiberglass which I salvaged from my engine cover which could be hinged from that front lip, I haven't figure out how I would keep the panel secured in the back, once I do I could potentially mount some small speakers downward facing in that area.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Re7xrhPWgUdh8fCt9
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

The Fusion RA-55 kit showed up today, I took a quick look at it and it seems really well built and sealed.

Being the lowest end radio of their line, I'm sure it won't be the greatest audio wise but it will serve my basic needs.

As for the size, it is definitely smaller than a standard car stereo so when I mount it, I will leave enough space for a standard size radio. If it does fail in the future I could cut the mounting hole larger and get a standard size radio. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that for quite some time but the option is there.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

My set up:

(1) Marine Amplifier with Fusion Bluetooth Module attached to it;

(2) Two 8" Pioneer Marine Speakers under the gunwale aft of the engine boxes on both sides;

(3) Two 6.5" Pioneer in the inside laterals of the flybridge.

Any family member or friend can connect with their phone or any type of device that has Bluetooth in it. Since the speakers are facing the inside of the boat it does not bother our dock or shore neighbors.

Its a marine environment and the sun, salt and rain will destroy them with time. If one speaker gets damaged, take it out and connect a new one. Take the loss and continue to enjoy.

If you are doing rave parties behind or in your boat, get professional help.............to install a better sound system. :-D