110v wiring

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

110v wiring

Post by coolair »

Does the 110v wiring need to be in a conduit? or is using the triplex wire acceptable?

Also I have read several times that if the run from the shore power inlet and the breaker panel is over 72" you must have a breaker in between? Does this need to be one of the new ELCI breakers?? My 110v panel is going to be mounted in the cabinet where the original 12V panel was, and the shore power will be in the traditional area aft of the starboard engine. which is about 12'
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: 110v wiring

Post by Bruce »

No conduit per say is required. But in rewiring a boat where I couldn't get to, to fasten the wires with clamp, I would run a chase conduit up one side. Easier to fish wires and secure at times.
No solid copper.
No aluminum.

Tinned copper stranded is the best.

If your wiring the boat to abyc standards for insurance reasons or just because, one of the el breakers or basically a ground fault breaker does get installed to trip and stop current flow.

Caveat....many old marinas, old backyard wiring and the such can cause havoc with the breaker constantly tripping, including issues on board if ac side is not done correctly.

Check with where you keep the boat and make sure the marina wiring is also up to latest standards.

I had more issues with ground fault systems on boats because a boat is supposed to be wet especially a sportfishing vs a howdy cruiser. Not saying don't do it, but expect possible issues.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I agree GFIs typically cause problems, i have had multiple brand new plugs bad right out of the box. I was just trying to make sure it was done correctly and not backwoods
There is already a chase conduit in the bertram that runs along the starboard side, BUT i was under the impression you can not or should not run your high voltage and low voltage wires through the same chase? That is the norm when wiring stuff on land..
thanks for info.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

power wires are okay to run together.

Its the data or comm wires that can pick up magnetic field and interfere with the signal. Run your nav comm wires in a different place. If there is a foil shield in the power or data cables, make sure they are grounded to reduce rf signals also