Generator raw water intake

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

Generator raw water intake

Post by coolair »

On my boat the original head was removed. Just inside the cabin i have 2 thru hulls. Could these be used for generator and say AC intakes or are they too far forward?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tony Meola

Re: Generator raw water intake

Post by Tony Meola »

Matt

On my 31, the 3/4 inch intake for the toilet was in the cabin in line with the toilet, actually also inline with the dinette seat against the bulkhead. I also use it for my wash down pump, and I can pump water and or flush the toilet with the boat running. The 11/2 inch thru hull was for the waste to pump out and that one if it is like mine it is slightly forward of the head area. That one might be border line when running.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Coolair
On my 1970 31 Flybridge cruiser i have one just inside the door to the cabin in front of the bulkhead that is the discharge for the holding tank of the vacu-flush system. Also i have a thru hull under the kitchen sink on the starboard side. The kitchen sink and the bathroom sink are linked together and go to the discharge. My generator thru hull is on the starboard side just between the shaft coupling and the shaft log and my A/C thru is on the port between the shaft coupling and the shaft log. A question i have is where my A/C thru hull is located-- what type of water pick up is best. I have a brass circular plate with about 75 holes. It works fine at the dock but underway i loose my prime and it shuts down so i only use it when staying overnight or at the dock. I have been told i need a scoop pick up so i do not loose prime underway. What are your thoughts?? The generator has the same screen as the A/C but it works fine underway cruising at 20 to 30 mph. Some have said that the gen should not have a scoop and force water into the generator. Again your thoughts or opinion.
thanks
coolair

Post by coolair »

I was planning on using them for wash down pump, ac and generator. But was not sure if they would be out of water while under way. Both the 3/4" and the 1 1/4" discharge are right next to each other even with where head would be.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If it works on mine it should work for yours. I do not have a scoop on mine. Just a flush Thru Hull. A scoop might help also.

If I can suck water on the 3/4 not sure why you can not. The 1 1/4 I can not speak for.

What I would do, is hook up a washdown pump to it, and take the boat up to cruise and turn the pump on and see if it will pick up water.

The other option is to move the Thru Hull back between the engines, offset to one side.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

well we gonna find out!! :-D
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I plan on using mine for wash down and ac they are in the same position as yours I think it will work just fine!
Jason
coolair

Post by coolair »

is the little round screen covering the thru-hole good enough or do you need an in line strainer for the generator too?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Matt

I had the strainer on mine and removed it about 10 years ago. We get a ton of real grass in the bay up here, and the to that I need an online strainer. The screen did help some, but grass still gets through. Not an issue once I am in the ocean.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Matt I have seen these used before. If you don’t have a strainer you could clog up the https://www.westmarine.com/buy/groco--p ... gJ4lPD_BwE
Jason
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Don't use a scoop on the gen set, but make sure it's not behind anything that could cause turbulence or cavitation.

I always used an inside filter. Gen impellers are not as robust as their big brothers.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bruce
thanks for the guidance and advice regarding the intake on the gen set. I plan on changing the a/c to a scoop on the next haul out to see if that will solve the problem. Let us know what we can do to assist you with the website.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Being it is the most forward thru hull I shouldn't have problems with turbulence and it already has the small round screen on it, not a scoop. Thank you Bruce!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The AC thru hull most definatly needs a scoop.