Declaring Victory - Shout Outs!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

Declaring Victory - Shout Outs!

Post by CamB25 »

It's time to declare victory. I have a short punch list, but the heavy lifting is finished. Evinrude steering crapped out on me last week so the boat is pulled for repairs. Also getting the boot stripe painted.

Shout Outs!

Thank you to all the Bertram 25 and Bertram 31 board members! Your support and encouragement throughout the years has been invaluable!

Thank you to Jared Houghtalen - Surveyor - https://jhhmarineservices.com/. Great person to work with, and he took some excellent photos of the boat a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Ey ... o4v3zFrXBI

Thank you to Craig Jeno and team at High Tide Canvas http://www.hightidecanvas.com/ for the amazing upholstery and canvas pieces!

Thank you to Stuart Foreman, RC, and Jorge of High Speed Welding https://www.highspeedweld.com/ for the great pipe work!

Thank you to Adam Meyer for working me through the insurance jungle! https://maritimeinsuranceinternational. ... dam-meyer/

Thank you to John, Patrick, Jeff and the team at Worton Creek Marina for painting my prep! - http://wortoncreek.com/

Thank you to Beau Johnson of Johnson Custom Boats - https://www.johnsoncustomboats.com/ for helping with structural work and design!

Finally, Thank you to my wife, Patti, for putting up with this project for 11+ years!

Woo Hoooo!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Re: Declaring Victory - Shout Outs!

Post by ktm_2000 »

I'd need more than 11 years to get my boat to look anywhere near as good as yours if I even could. It looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Cam,

She's a thing of beauty!!!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thank you Cam for sharing this amazing project with us.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Cam it must be nice to sit back and relax sometimes and that is also the smart route to take just pick up phone and call somebody to help the project. i had to look at myself in the mirror project after project trying to think a better way . except paint the hull sides myself and my son did the entire 31 project and invented new methods . Capt Patrick gave me the heads up on the use of epoxy and resin.quite a few on this board also help with props and cons of the project so i hope the brothers have also help you complete this beautiful Bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Cam

You came a long way. You hung in there, and now you can enjoy your efforts. Good Luck and enjoy her. You deserve it, great job.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Absolutely spectacular. Well done Cam. Try putting that alongside a Scout or other brand new center console..... We have a winner.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Well done good and faithful steward! She is a work of art, Cam!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

My skills in English are not adequate to describe my awe. Well done Cam, enjoy!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Congratulations. She turned out exceptional. Thanks for letting us follow along.
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Cam, we are the stewards of the boats we have the pleasure of calling our own for a few years in our lives. Not all owners leave the vessel in better shape than when they got it - you have done more than that. Great job!
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

That is a beautiful boat. I remember a thread a few years ago when you were ready to throw in the towel, so great to see the final result. If Bertram was paying attention they would bring you on as a consultant to roll out the 25 CC based upon this design work and I have no doubt it would more than hold it's own with any other CC of similar size being produced right now. Congratulations on a beautiful build. I hope you're back in the water soon to enjoy her.

CR
Last edited by cariedl on Sep 22nd, '20, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

fantastic work
John F.

Post by John F. »

Incredible work. Congratulations. Hope to see her on the Bay
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

So I heard you're ready to sell her and take on a new project...

All the shout outs your giving, I sure they would be proud to use your boat to demonstrate their little piece of work in that build.

Doing all the work you did is one thing...but pulling the right people together to complete the project to your vision, at your standards...that is a major task all to itself.

Great job! I'm happy for you. I hope you and yours enjoy her for many years!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I picked up the boat from dealer #2 yesterday. 5 months down with the steering issue. 2 months were spent getting jerked around by dealer #1 (1 hour away). Dealer #2 was great, but a 6 hour round trip. Evinrude eventually authorized the replacement of the entire midsection bracket with a new, 2020 unit. The new units are supposed to be bullet proof. I'll get it wet this weekend.

After 3 deaths in the family, one round of the COVID disease and a broken boat, I'm ready for 2020 to end.
1963 Bertram 25
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Spectacular vessel!!!
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Cam,

That is not a list of items I would like to deal with, hopefully this year will go better for you.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Thanks. Things got a bit better yesterday. I put my long johns on and took the Bertram out for a ride. Yes. I wore more than long johns! 45 deg F :-D

52 mile round trip, 20 mph average, 3.1 mpg, topped out about 45 mph. She rides high in the water near the top end and steering gets a bit squirrely. She seems to be happiest cruising at 30 - 33 mph, 4200 - 4500 rpm.

I have 2 months left on the Evinrude warranty. I'm trying to find any remaining weak spots!!!
1963 Bertram 25
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cam,
It's been an incredible journey for you and you forged that Bertram into a masterpiece. I wish you tons of enjoyment with her and I'm sure it will turn many heads to come!
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

30-33mph = 26-28.7kts

I will be psyched if I can cruise in that range, I'm starting to think a 300HP is a luxury and I might be able to get by with a 250HP motor. on the other hand I'll be happy if I can cruise at a solid 24kts and have quite a bit more left available if I want to use it on a FAC day.

As for long johns and 45 degrees? We'll see the long Johns part but not the 45 degree part for quite some time. We got stir crazy and went up to the White Mountains in NH and climbed Mt Willard in the snow 2 weekends ago. Thankfully folks had already done the trail in snowshoes as the snow was up over my knees any time we had to step off the trail to let others pass. Was 17 degrees and windy when not in the woods, Gaiters and Microspikes were a must.
Crawford Notch Station
https://photos.app.goo.gl/imd9VfxiGnc1aHxQ9
Mt Willard on the left, the trail to the top starts a little past the end of where you can see the road.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B8oQgbdXdseMFk9m7
No pics from the top, my camera had froze about 1/2 up and I didn't carry my cell phone
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Now that's a winter hike! Makes me cold just looking at the pictures!

250 hp should be fine if you watch your weight. I'm still light in the stern by 200 - 400 lbs. I had 80 gallons of fuel on board, but no passengers (wimps!).

I'm still trying to crack the code on the jackplate and engine trim. I had the shop lower the engine to the top hole to see if I could get some measurable effect from the jackplate...not much. An inch or two up seems to work fine with 12% trim on the engine. I forgot to trial the Evinrude auto trim feature yesterday, so the jury is out. My prop has vents that I want to play with as well to see if I can optimize the hole shot. No complaints, just playing around.

The boat rides like a cloud floating across the sky. Smoooooth. No shakes, shimmies, or rattles, but I do hit a resonance frequency or two in the upper ranges of the engine rpm that makes something in my engine fill areas rattle.
1963 Bertram 25
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Beautiful work!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Cam it turned out amazing!! It must feel so good to Good to be out on her after all the blood sweat and tears. I followed you along your journey great work!!
Jason