31 Caribbean Vs 31 Bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

HGR

31 Caribbean Vs 31 Bertram

Post by HGR »

Hi guys, first post after searching for some time with no real success. I'm in the market for my first inboard sport fishing boat and based between Australia and New Zealand. Initially had my eye on the Bertram/Caribbean 35 but felt it a bit too much boat so have dialed back to the Bertram/Caribbean 31. Here's where my questions start. In Aus, the 31 is labeled as a Bertram however I assume that is just a production name and not necessarily based on the 31 Bertram produced in the US. Adding to that it seems that in the early 90's they went from being a Bertram 31 FBC to a Caribbean 32 FBC with no real difference in design that I can see. The model that I'm looking at is a 31 Bertram FBC 1991 model year.

Does anyone have any advise or links showing the differences between the US produced 31 and the Aus produced 31 FBC?
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: 31 Caribbean Vs 31 Bertram

Post by Bruce »

HGR

Post by HGR »

Thanks Bruce, so as I read it, the Caribbean 31 is "inherently" the same as the Bertram 31 as far as the hull is concerned.

If that is the case, any knowledge on if the engine boxes are the same size? The Caribbean has the engines under the salon floor as opposed to in the cockpit.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I was in Sydney recently and took a look at Caribbean's version of the 31 Bertram. It looked totally different from my 31' Bertram. I found out from the broker that boats in Australia are measured at the waterline. So the 31 is actually a 33 or 34 foot boat. When I looked at it in person, it looked pretty similar to the 33' Flybridge that Bertram built: https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/be ... r-3701198/

JR
HGR

Post by HGR »

Cheers JR. I've seen the 33', not common at all here. Big jump between the 31 Caribbean and the 33 Bertram though. The beam on the 31 is 3.56M (11.5') and the weight is approx 5.5T dry. The 33 has a 3.84M (12.5') beam and displacement of about 9.5T.

I completely agree that they look very different than the 31's in the US, the 31' Carribean just looks like a mini 35' Bertram. Even the interior layout is very similar. All just scaled down.
HGR

Post by HGR »

Just as a bit of follow up if anyone cares. I've been looking at the hull shape and production years etc and assumed that Caribbean started producing them when Bertram sold up. I don't believe that the US spec 31 is the same as the 31 offered in Australia/NZ. From what I can tell, it looks like the 31 Caribbean is based on the 30 Moppie hull. Bow flare looks the same, rub strip looks the same, transom, shafts, rudders, etc all look the same. Top side is of course pretty different but as far as the hull, I can't find a difference aside from air intakes.