Sport Fisherman head

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Sport Fisherman head

Post by pschauss »

This is what I have between my v-berths. It has a pipe connection in back near the top, presumably for the flushing water, and a hose connection at the the bottom which I assume leads to the holding tank. Does anyone recognize it? I cannot find a label on it to tell me the make and model, nor can I see any obvious way to take it apart.

If you look closely at it there is a blue T-shaped handle in the middle, behind the seat. When I pull it, it comes all the way out so I assume that something inside is broken.

https://imgur.com/SJCeu7p
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
1962 31

Re: Sport Fisherman head

Post by 1962 31 »

I had a similar set up was looking into repairing it
A new similar model was under 200 bucks so I just replaced the whole thing
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

That is not original. Bertram installed Grocos on the 31. Some were manual some electric.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looks like a porta potti.

Some have provisions to use as a permanent (?) head with water hookup and provisions to be hooked up to a pump out or drain into a holding tank.
Usually the way they are made, it's time to replace when parts start to fail or they look "crappy" pun intended.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Carl,
Galley Maid out of West Palm makes a porcelain head that has a built-in macerator pump and a stainless steel impeller, that fits where the old Groco head was. It's got 3/4" inlet and outlets and a plastic piece that hides the hoses for under $400.00 back in 2004. Will grind a herring for chum if needed, I know from experience.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Has anyone replaced a head recently? If so, what brand/model did you buy?

The Galley Maid web page does not seem to have much information.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I have the stand up head and put in a Jabsco. But if I ever have to replace this one, I am going to think about what else is available. Have not had a problem with it, but the fit was not perfect. I made adjustments but there are a few things that just irk me about the fit.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Was fishing on a 60 some odd foot Viking last year and had to use the facilities. Quite impressive and powerful and up to the task. My Groco was almost as old as me and couldn’t flush a peanut. Guys at Worton Creek put in a porcelain Dometic and converted to fresh water flush. I am delighted with it and it has withstood the torture test of my son “Vincent the clogger”. The switch to fresh water from sea water cuts down on stains and odors. Patrick Callahan at Worton Creek can supply the particulars.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Priceless wrote: Nov 22nd, '20, 19:37 Was fishing on a 60 some odd foot Viking last year and had to use the facilities. Quite impressive and powerful and up to the task. My Groco was almost as old as me and couldn’t flush a peanut. Guys at Worton Creek put in a porcelain Dometic and converted to fresh water flush. I am delighted with it and it has withstood the torture test of my son “Vincent the clogger”. The switch to fresh water from sea water cuts down on stains and odors. Patrick Callahan at Worton Creek can supply the particulars.
How many gallons of fresh water did you need to add to the original 18 gallon fresh water tank?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

If I ever have to change my electric head, I’ll check the Raritan Phii model.
It is electric, but if anything goes wrong, instead of having to wear gloves and do the impossible, it switches to manual mode.
Haven't tested how this is done, but only the promise that you can escape disaster is compelling enough.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Didnt add any water capacity. It uses very little to flush and we only use fresh water for hand washing and cleaning up tackle with the shower on the way home.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Good to know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Where is the seawater intake for head on the sport fisherman model?

The only through-hull in the vicinity of the head on my boat is under the floor board between the v-berth and that one is connected to a pump which looks like it is meant to pump out the holding tank.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

It should be a 3/4 inch intake hose. If you pull up the cabin floor boards you should be able to trace it back. I would think even though it would be a long run, the intake should be just forward of the where the cabin starts.

Any place further forward you probably could not pick up water while running. But then again, to save money, they may have stuck it right up there in the bow area.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Pete Fallon wrote: Aug 6th, '20, 20:57 Will grind a herring for chum if needed, I know from experience.
Pete: I can think of all kinds of jokes to go with this one!!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Are you sure that is not a Porte potti and does not pump overboard. Almost looks like the bottom us a holding tank type.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Tony Meola wrote: Mar 26th, '21, 23:00 Peter

Are you sure that is not a Porte potti and does not pump overboard. Almost looks like the bottom us a holding tank type.
Tony,

It does look like I have some sort of hybrid arrangement made from a porta-potti. There is a small diameter hose coming out of the top leading to a vent near the starboard bow and a larger hose coming out of the bottom leading into the space under the v-berth. I still need to have another look at the plumbing, but I think that this hose goes directly to the pump-out fitting. I am not certain that I even have a holding tank other than the one in this unit.

Also, under the starboard side of the v-berth, I have a large diaphragm pump. The input side connects to a "t" fitting on the hose which runs to the pump-out fitting and the output runs to a through-hull fitting (with a valve) under the deck directly aft of the head.

When I pumped out this system last fall, only a minimal amount of waste came out. If I had had a holding tank, I would have expected more given what I know of my boat's previous history.

I was planning to replace this setup with a Raritan PH but that will depend on whether I actually have a holding tank.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

https://www.overtons.com/thetford-porta ... 17464.html

Peter

Does it look something like what is in the link above?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Tony,

It doesn't have the removable holding tank. A pre-purchase survey done for the previous owner in 1984 describes it as "Manual self-holding w/pump-out".

https://imgur.com/SJCeu7p
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Carl

Post by Carl »

Porta potties can be setup for pumpouts as well as for external holding tanks. Although most I have seen have a visible removable holding tank.

What was surveyed in 1984 does not mean that is what is there now.

Manual with pumpout can be porta potti as well as what you are thinking.

I have not seen a marine toilet that was plastic like that...porta potti's yes. Any latches on the back...what is directly under it?
Can it be removed easily to get a better look. Can you see a name, model # ?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That looks like a Prota Poti to me or something similar to one. IN fact that is not even installed like the original. The original was part of the forward bunk area. The original Groco, was actually moved up so that it filled in the spot where the two bunks start to meet. It had a wood cover on an hinges that you lifted to access the toilet. With the lid down looking forward into the V berth area, you could see the Groco under the wood cover. A cushion was on top of the cover.

On the boats with a stand up head, the area that the Groco took up in the V berth became storage.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315