Boat Trailer Companies - Sources, References, Etc.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Boat Trailer Companies - Sources, References, Etc.

Post by Vince Luciani »

Hello Fellows,

I have accepted an offer to purchase my boat from the couple who lives in Idaho! They seem like great people and perfect bertram 31 owners. They have the love of the bertram lines as well as a multitude of skills which will keep her going for a long time. They have been getting quotes to transport. However, they really want to purchase a trailer and have been speaking with one company located in Connecticut named "boattrailerdepot.com". They have asked if I could kindly inquire if anyone has any references or information on them. Also, if anyone has a lead on anyone who is selling a trailer, either new or used, I am sure they would explore that option also.

As always, thanks for all your help!

Vince
John F.

Re: Boat Trailer Companies - Sources, References, Etc.

Post by John F. »

No idea on the trailer, but congratulations on the sale. Even if they're paying your full ask, they're getting a sweet deal. Again, congrats
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
WAC

Post by WAC »

ABTrailers in San Bernardino CA builds them custom for the Bertram's. He built mine. It was for sale but now sold.
Alex
818-780-1594
abtrailers.com
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Vince,

Congrats on the sale! Glad you were able to find a home for her. Hope you and wife are doing well1

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Congrats on the sale. I did a lot of research considering purchasing a trailer a few years ago for our 31. I also live one town away from the BoatTrailerDepot site you referenced and have never heard of them, but it looks like their website contains photos of LoadMaster (http://www.loadmastertrailer.com/traile ... -trailers/. I purchased one of those about 10 years ago from their Tampa, FL site for our 18' Boston Whaler Outrage. Probably the best boat trailer I've ever seen or owned. They do a few things different. Most trailer companies run the frame up to the trailer tongue and run bolts through to connect the two. Loadmaster wraps/bends the frame so it runs parallel with the tongue for a bit, much stronger. The reason I opted out of a trailer was not that I couldn't locate a good trailer, but the tow vehicle and GCVWR needed to legally tow. If you want to make sure your insurance will cover the boat, all safety designs with respect to capacity must be carefully reviewed. I've seen articles about being able to tow with 3/4 ton, 1 ton etc. trucks, many on this site, but if you read the fine print and talk to underwriters, you're covered - but if it's a total loss or a high liability loss, insurance companies have the right to fight it if you didn't follow all DOT required precautions. My F250, fully decked out with extra load air bags etc., would do fine - physically. But, it cannot accommodate the gross vehicle combined weight ratio and I was not willing to risk lack of insurance coverage vs. what I just pay to have it hauled via hydraulic trailer twice a year. Best of luck.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

John,
Thanks for the kind words! I think the same. I am glad to sell it to the right kind of owners.

Mark,
Congrats on you purchase! She is beautiful. I hope you, your wife and family enjoy her for many years.

Ranjr,
Thanks for the information. I will be sure to pass it along!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi Vince,
I will second recomendation of ABT trailers.
I’m not sure because I haven’t talked to Alex Whitaker in a long while but
he was streamlining his company for trailers more, and discontinuing Bertram fabricated parts last I talked to him.
He knows 31Bertrams specifically, and how to provide proper support for these boats. I’m not sure if other manufactures would have this key expertise on how this is done correctly as he does. Fantastic wealth of knowledge,
he loves Bertrams!
Please, try to reach out to him, super nice guy!
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Thanks Rocky. I will pass that information along. There is no substitute for experience!
Jhaszard

Post by Jhaszard »

Hello Vince
Please give me a call. John. 772-913-0190. Ophelia, Va. Thanks
coolair

Post by coolair »

My buddy had a 28 Albemarle. He had a trailer built by MYCO trailers in Florida. 100% custom welded trailer. was very nice, they were very very detailed, down to wanting to know where the traducer, thru hulls, etc to make sure the trailer did not hit anything. They sent drawings, etc. was pretty expensive though. I think 14 or 15K
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Allow me to echo the previous recommendations for Alex Whittaker. He built my trailer… it's a work of art.

Cheers!

John
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Thanks fellows! Although I don't think my buyer is going to purchase a trailer from Alex, they tell me that they have spoken to him several times. They said Alex is a great guy who was very generous with his knowledge and experience about our beloved 31 bertrams. The buyers wanted me to pass along their thanks for the contact.