Diesel Fuel Additive

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mark

Diesel Fuel Additive

Post by Mark »

The 1999 6BTA in Old School was built to run diesel fuel that is much different than today, no? I thought I read where Cummins doesn’t recommend any additive. In the practical world does that make sense? I run a 50/50 blend of FPPF Total Power and 8+ Cetane in my 2005 GMC. 2 oz per 10 gallons. I have no smoke and fuel filters are clean. The do have a marine formula but see much about it.

I came across this product https://priproducts.com/wp-content/uplo ... /PRI-D.pdf and seems to be highly regarded but have not heard about it before.

Thoughts?
Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Yannis

Re: Diesel Fuel Additive

Post by Yannis »

Ive been through hell with biodiesel residue that had turned into honey like consistency. I think we can have up to 9% of biodiesel in diesel.
A ship engineer suggested to me the german product Grotamar. Three years now, each time I turn my engines on I think of him with respect...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

I have used power stroke. I really don't see any difference. When I was repowering 10 years ago I met the owner of a web site called extremediesel.com. he was repowering his boat also. Both he and thdd diesel shop I used said that the only thing they would recommend is adding something for lubricity, but that is what not needed. Unless you are buying bad fuel then they would something like bio bor.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony,

A friend of mine is getting his fuel delivered and he has put 150 hrs on the motors so far this year. He just drained a sampling and changed his Racor filters. There was some water (not much) and the filters were dark. He is using Biobor before every fuel up. Problem with water is that you will not know until it is already in the tank. And if you are only changing filter once per season, you can run into a problem when you don't want it. 20 years ago most of the guys I knew used Biobor. Now, not sure and if I use something, would want it be good for fuel and motors.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
John F.

Post by John F. »

Fwiw, the diesel mechanic that went over my DD 8.2s recommended Stanadyne. I've been adding it since
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i agree with john F
used it in my yanmars religosity
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Stanadyne.
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Charlie J I still use it. 1 bottle for every 60 gallons. Stanadyne https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M ... UTF8&psc=1
Carl

Post by Carl »

Any reasons for the recommendation other then you used and haven't had a problem.

Kind of makes a subjective recommendation unless. You used product A after a fill up and your buddy who mirrors your use and care used product B and had...algae, water or....
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

The only time I add any type of additive is when I lay the boat up for the winter. My Racors are clean. The only time they were not was about 3 years after the repower when some water showed up in the bowl. I drained the bowl and not seen a drop of water since.

I think someone got too aggressive when washing down the hull and sprayed water up into the vent. I would say, unless you have a problem I would just go with straight diesel outside of laying the boat up. I usually use Star Tron for that purpose.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315