Maiden Voyage - For Us Anyway

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mark

Maiden Voyage - For Us Anyway

Post by Mark »

Well, it is official and my family are now proud owners of a 31 FBC. I apologize for not posting sooner but the wife wants me to take her fishing so gotta comply even though she needs some TLC. The boat that is. The trip from northern Connecticut was both eventful and uneventful. We headed up Saturday June 28th early with 5 family members in the truck and a boatload of tools and extra stuff some of which were provided by members of this board. Thank you to them!! Sunny when arrived and then began to rain until the evening. We did get the fuel filters changed, the boat with the gear, put new antennas on, and do a couple of things that the yard forgot. The outriggers weren’t on and the mast head light and gps antenna were laying down. The double spreader outriggers were fun in the pooring rain and trying to stay out of the water. We got everything done in time to take a shower to wash the rain water off and go to dinner in Downtown Mystic. Oh forgot...the port motor wouldn’t turn over. Yard left power on to devices and battery was dead. Hooked up to shore power and thought the battery would recharge. Tried again before taking a shower and still dead. Went to replace battery but noticed one of the cable was loose so we thought maybe bad connection. Recharge again until next morning. Had nice dinner and evening and slept on boat...3 of us. My son and girl friend went to stay at a friend’s house about 45 min away. Get up next morning planning to leave by 9am. Fog always a possible issue up ther so can leave too early in unfamiliar waters. Battery still dead. Need to wait for store to open to get battery. 8D installed outboard. Not ideal and fun for 2 of us to get the 135lb monster out and then new one in. Battery in and motor fires up. Top off with fuel and leave the dock at 10:15. Possible thunderstorms all around but first part of trip calm and beautiful. All gauges reading good. Go past center LI Sound lighthouse and see the huge white cloud ahead. Wife say storm up ahead. I said...don’t think it is storm. Think it is fog. Within 10 minutes, 100 yard visibility. Hope the radar works. An old Furuno 1721. Went from 2200 rpm doing about 22.5 knots downtown to 1300 rpm. Radar picking up targets along way and navigated safely for next hour. Fog cleared and head on to East River. Now a few hours behind schedule and go against northbound flood tide. Was doing 2200 rpm again at 23 knots til Hells Gate. Still doing 2200 rpm but only making 18 knots. Some crazies out and about zooming back and forth. A plane directly above landing at LaGuardia. Head into a stiff southeast wind going through the Verrazano-Narrows and past a freight throwing 6 footers and around Sandy Hook heading south. Boat running well but a little choppy into south wind. Get to Manasquan about 4:15 and have to wait for 5pm Glimmerglass bridge opening. Only opens on the hour. In the slip at 5:15. Engines ran great. In the slip. Nothing could be better! I’ll post pics in a few hours.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Carl

Re: Maiden Voyage - For Us Anyway

Post by Carl »

Sounds like a great maiden voyage!

Sure a few hiccups before takeoff...but better it happen before then during. Imagine losing radar or a motor in the fog or in hells gate.

Odd that happened as when we went to pickup my biddies boat from Kent Island Maryland it was the same thing. Boat all prepped for him to leave Saturday morning at 7pm. We get there Friday afternoon so he could pay...sign over papers. But before we do our "walk through". One battery is dead, get motors running with parallel switch and as he's talking up on the bridge the exhaust is sounding different, I look over and the gauge is rising...new impellor as the "new one" they put in before we got there...well if they installed they did a lousy job. Then it was install new battery and as you said electronics work.

So a good shakedown cruise, happy the rest was pretty much uneventful. I agree with your wife...go fishing. Relax and enjoy her you'll have plenty of time to tend to TLC. TLC is great for lulls in the fishing or lousy weather.

Enjoy!!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Mark wrote: Engines ran great.
Mark
This was all I saw. Good for you!
Enjoy and thanks for sharing here.
Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

Good to hear the trip went well, just so y ohh know, group 31 batteries will spin the 270's. They are much essi at to handle th an those 8D's. If you are uncomfortable running one 31 to turn over the engines, just put two in for each engine.

Now enjoy her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Great. What boat did you buy?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Dug

Post by Dug »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

great story and happy for your safe successful voyage home.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I thought we were promised pictures?
Best,
Stephan
Carl

Post by Carl »

Stephan wrote:I thought we were promised pictures?
Best,
Stephan

I'm sure he's just waiting for the Photomat to finish Developing the Film.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

[quote="Carl"}I'm sure he's just waiting for the Photomat to finish Developing the Film.[/quote]

But that is a one hour service unless you want that special Kodak Koda chrome color.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sorry for the delay all. Ran out of photo solution and my dark room bulb burnt out. LOL. Some may be out of order and I'm not a historian so forgive missed pics, descriptions, etc. I know I missed the Hells Gate and RFK bridges.

At the Marina - I'm the guy with the funny face pointing

Historic Mystic River Bridge mechanisim

A few spots near the mouth of Mystic River

Into Long Island Sound we go

Stafford Shoal Light in middle of LI Sound

Entrance to East River

Throgs Neck Bridge

Whitestone Bridge

Rikers Island and LaGuardia Airport as a plane come down to runway

Williamsburg Bridge

Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges

Whitehall Ferry Terminal and Lower Manhattan

Battery Park with One World Trade Center in the background

Heading away from Lower Manhattan (Neat first collage pic)

A pretty green lady! And one of the few statues still standing!

Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge and just a little and just a little bit of Staten Island

Another day at the slip with furry engine box covers

So many pics to take but just too much to post. A recommended ride for anyone heading up to the northeast. Just plan the tides appropriately.

Mark
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Thanks very much for sharing these.
The covering boards around the cockpit look fabulous and I especially like your fur engine covers.
Regards,
Stephan
Carl

Post by Carl »

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Your boat looks fantastic, I wish you many happy years with it!

I thought my outriggers were long...you got me beat.
Everyone should have furry engine covers.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Beautiful pics!

Last time I was in NY I was up the twin towers...I still have the ticket...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

She looks good. I will have to make the trip through the canal one day and catch up with you so I can get a closer look.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Carl wrote: I thought my outriggers were long...you got me beat.
Everyone should have furry engine covers.
Yeah...they are long. 32 ft. Trying to figure out how to rig them as the rigging is shot. Looks like he had a double line with a swivel below the clip on each line. The black anodizing is faded. Putting CX on it helps temporarily. The yard took them odd every year. Almost all the spacers and grommets are missing. Have them on order. Should tighten things up a bit.
Stephan wrote:Thanks very much for sharing these.
The covering boards around the cockpit look fabulous and I especially like your fur engine covers.
Regards,
Stephan
There are some spots where the varnish has been breached. While it looks good varnished, I think it is a slip hazard. Probably going to strip and go with oil or natural.
Tony Meola wrote: I will have to make the trip through the canal one day and catch up with you so I can get a closer look.
May be going to Tices Shoal this weekend. Have to fix Perko strainer first. Took apart to replace gaskets and clean up and one of the wing nuts won’t tighten. Looks like wing nut is stripped. Hopefully not the bolt. Now need to find bronze wing nut in next day or 2.

Thank you to all for kind words. I’m sure the pics make here look better. As I mentioned, she needs some TLC. In the last 2 weeks, I have been down the boat probably 6 out of 7 days either working on it or going out fishing or for a ride. Enjoying each day.

Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mark wrote: Yeah...they are long. 32 ft. Trying to figure out how to rig them as the rigging is shot. Looks like he had a double line with a swivel below the clip on each line. The black anodizing is faded. Putting CX on it helps temporarily. The yard took them odd every year. Almost all the spacers and grommets are missing. Have them on order. Should tighten things up a bit.
32'..no wonder they look long. The problem with the black riggers is they fade. Mine were in mediocre clear anodize when I got them. I scuffed them up and sprayed black. I do not recommend that as its a job every couple years to repaint. But taking apart, prepping and finding an anodize house with a large enough tank is not a good option either. I do not know how it works on black anodize, but the Rupp cleaner/polish is the cats meow on clear. Instant shine and holds up longer than most products...did I mention instant shine.

Mark wrote: May be going to Tices Shoal this weekend. Have to fix Perko strainer first. Took apart to replace gaskets and clean up and one of the wing nuts won’t tighten. Looks like wing nut is stripped. Hopefully not the bolt. Now need to find bronze wing nut in next day or 2.
If its holding you back, a SS wing nut can usually be located in most hardware stores...or a standard hex nut in bronze or SS with a washer under. Keep the Bronze Wing Nut on your list, but at least your running again.
Mark wrote: Thank you to all for kind words. I’m sure the pics make here look better. As I mentioned, she needs some TLC. In the last 2 weeks, I have been down the boat probably 6 out of 7 days either working on it or going out fishing or for a ride. Enjoying each day.

Mark

In my opinion that is how a boat should be worked on...use a bit, work some and its ALL enjoyable. The more you get to know her the more speed bumps you'll find and you will tackle them as you go along fixing, repairing and tweaking to fit your needs.

Pictures don't make her look better, they show the boat in the light you wish her to be seen, a glimpse at your end product.

Keep enjoying!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

Unfortunately I have a wedding this weekend. Shame, Tice's is a straight shot out of our creek. I will not be down until Monday. I have some minor work being done on the house, and it gets wrapped up on Wednesday, with the installation of new garage doors.

Maybe another day. Would love to see what you picked up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

i'll be down at tices sunday if you want to raft up. i'm only going to hang out for the afternoon
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

She’s a beauty best of luck.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony Meola wrote:...
Maybe another day. Would love to see what you picked up.
No problem Tony. Plans were changed for me too on my side so probably not heading down that way this weekend.
Reelcrazy wrote:i'll be down at tices sunday if you want to raft up. i'm only going to hang out for the afternoon
Oldest has some school friends coming in this weekend and we were thinking about a day trip Saturday but they made other plans yesterday. I definitely plan on making a weekend trip down the this summer.
PeterPalmieri wrote:She’s a beauty best of luck.
Thank you Peter!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I never grow tired of watching the wake of a B31!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote:I never grow tired of watching the wake of a B31!

if that ain't the truth...

and I don't mean isn't.
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

it would be great to get a barnegat raft up some day
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Reelcrazy wrote:it would be great to get a barnegat raft up some day
There are a number of us within 20 miles of each other.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315