Cummins B series Injector issue? Miss on startup

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Cummins B series Injector issue? Miss on startup

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have been having this problem for last 2 weeks. The port engine will have a miss on startup and clear itself after a few seconds or if I increase throttle. I have had 2 diff times the engine would start and then stall and I will have trouble starting it and will fire right up after a bleed one of the injector nuts. The engines run fine when I am cruising and have idled all day on my trips out fishing.

I cranked and opened individual nuts to see which injector was “dry” and I came up with #4. I pulled the injector and found a lot of carbon on the injector tip and orifices. I cleaned it up and installed with new washer etc…

I thought all fixed but problem persists. I then did above procedure and came up with #2 injector and had same symptom of pretty heavy carbon and cleaned like above.

Problem still persists and I am just chasing my tail now. I will post a video of the problem.

I am thinking possibly a “sticky” or malfunctioning injector @idle. I am still getting 2800 rpms out of them and running dead even (port~starboard).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WBEmDtQYz9DT8x5A8
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET