2020 NC rendevous??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

2020 NC rendevous??

Post by Rickysa »

Any dates set? Now that I have a boat that might make it, I'd sure like to attend!
Tommy

Re: 2020 NC rendevous??

Post by Tommy »

Hi Rick,

It was great to catch up with you by phone the other day; I hope you've gotten those Yanmar turbos spooling up to your satisfaction.

Regarding the NC Rendezvous, Capt. Lin Spears and his team have changed the format this year to a one-day event given the virus related restrictions. So, on Saturday, July 18th, the Bertram fleet will rendezvous at the hook at Cape Lookout for a raft-up, beach-up gathering. The Bertram hospitality team will provide beverages, but each boat will be responsible for their own picnic lunch. As the date approaches and we have a better handle on the weather forecast, Lin will provide additional details. In the past the boats have gathered just south of the Turning Basin no-wake zone and the flotilla has cruised together to the destination. In past events some of the folks have gotten tickets to climb the lighthouse, in addition to other water related activities. I'm not sure if the following links will open, but the intent is to share images of this beautiful area with the rest of the folks on the Bertram31.com Board.

https://www.abwatersport.com/wp-content ... p-1600.jpg

https://www.crystalcoastnc.org/region/c ... gIADPD_BwE

https://492c7d6cb32b08f84ce7-4d56858185 ... 9_1818.jpg

https://www.spectrumproperties.com/wp-c ... thouse.jpg
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Tommy
great post with the pictures
Look forward to seeing you there
john
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i might be down there on the 12th
so i would miss it
have a great time
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hello Faithful, this just in from Capt. Lin Spears, organizer of the annual NC Rendezvous (I have some family issues going on, so don't know if I will be able to make it this year):

Sorry to have been out of touch so long. We are still planning to converge at Cape Lookout this Saturday, July 18, at NOON. Feel free to head out earlier but we are trying to offer a more relaxed schedule and flexibility for all.

As shared earlier, we want to pay all due respects to individual levels of comfort to gather or not to gather, thus the more relaxed format. We will have beer, soft drinks, and water out on the island as well as a tent and possibly a small tethered blimp in case you cannot spot us. Please bring you own picnic to enjoy on your boat or on the island.

Obviously, this event is a little more weather (wind) dependent as boats will travel out the inlet to the Cape and back. Assuming the wind is favorable, we will locate either inside the hook if wind is out of South or East or on the ocean side if the wind is from the North or West. Our crowd will be easy to spot – ie- look for the BERTRAM’s. Should it be or projected to be a very windy day, we will most likely alter the plans and go behind Shackleford Banks.

Clearly, this is a bit up in the air but it will be great regardless. In the event of known changes, we will try to get an email or another post out even as late as Friday evening or Saturday AM. After Thursday, neither Joel or I will be seeing email, so text us both or call. My number is (910) two-two-eight-8456 and Joel is (919) four-two-seven-1254.

It will help to hear who might be coming if you will advise. Guests are welcome as well.

Post any questions. See U Soon.

Lin Spears
(910) two-two-eight-8456
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Final Update from Capt. Lin Spears:

Weather Forecast: SW wind 9-14 MPH; seas 1.5'; partly cloudy; high temperature 83 degrees

Good morning. As we close in on our event this Saturday, the 18th, I wanted to send the attached weather forecast for that day. It does appear sea conditions will be favorable travel to Cape Lookout. Please plan accordingly and head out on your own. We will be fully set up by 12:00 noon with refreshments and fellowship. Remember to bring picnic for your crew.

Understanding that some of you will be in larger boats that will need to be anchored off, please signal Joel or myself on shore and we will send a smaller boat out to get you. I will try to have a handheld VHF so you may try calling on channel 11. Bring what you need onshore such as chairs, towels, sunscreen and the like.

After today, I will not see email so if you need me, call me at (910) two-two-eight-8456 or Joel at (919) four-two-seven-1254. I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Lin Spears
Rapscallion

Post by Rapscallion »

the NC Rendezvous is this Saturday July 18th. The format is an anchor up Beach party on Cape Lookout, a barrier island 9 miles from Beaufort Inlet. Please come if you can. Noon on Saturday.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Can't wait till next year.

We have sold our house in NJ and are going to move to the area between Beaufort and Wilmington. No plans yet but we are leaving on Friday 7-24-20.

Looking forward to the boat being hauled down and hopefully can make next years shindig.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Can't wait till next year.

We have sold our house in NJ and are going to move to the area between Beaufort and Wilmington. No plans yet but we are leaving on Friday 7-24-20.

Looking forward to the boat being hauled down and hopefully can make next years shindig.

Sorry to see you go Joe, but glad for you!

If I can't go, having a friend leave this place is the next best thing.
Last edited by Carl on Jul 20th, '20, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Joe
if you decide to move to Morehead City area please let me know. I will be glad to assist you in any way that i can.
Welcome to North Carolina.
As Tommy said our waters are getting our share with idiots("wallys") but nothing like up north from what has been said.
The waterways and back waters are wonderful here and you can still get away from the crowds and put up an umbrella on a sandbar.
Look forward to crossing wakes.
john
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The wally idiots must be rich idiots too!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Going crazy with the move. Boxing and Packing. Moving the boat to storage tomorrow. Will move it down to NC when I get an address (buy a house).

Movers come on Thursday, Closing on Friday then into the car for the drive to NC.

Looking at the Shallotte Inlet area, Southport, Beaufort, etc.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Are you going to have the movers follow you as you look for houses?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Going crazy with the move. Boxing and Packing. Moving the boat to storage tomorrow. Will move it down to NC when I get an address (buy a house).

Movers come on Thursday, Closing on Friday then into the car for the drive to NC.

Looking at the Shallotte Inlet area, Southport, Beaufort, etc.

Wow. You are picking a wide area to search. Assuming you have a place to stay down here. What are you looking for? Price range?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Afew years ago when I was traveling up and down the inter-coastal annually, Oriental NC struck me as really nice area.
Had a great small town feel to it.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Congratulations. You are escaping just in time. Looks like our Governor is going to bankrupt us and wants to increase our tax's 30%.

Are you still going to run the business from there?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315