B28 BowRail Fittings Needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RumLine

B28 BowRail Fittings Needed

Post by RumLine »

We're new to the Bertram family as we have acquired a '78 B28. What a classy gal she is! No Clorox bottle here, to say the least. I can't help getting a

big grin every time someone come up and says, " That's a great looking boat. Love those old Berts."

Any how, I am in search of two bow rail fittings. These are the beautiful sculpted, fittings that attach the rail to the deck supports.

Does anyone, who may have replaced their rail, have a couple laying around? If not, Any suggestions as where to locate some?

I have already talked to High Tide Marine, no luck there. Any and all suggestion would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
RumLine
Yannis

Re: B28 BowRail Fittings Needed

Post by Yannis »

I cant picture what you're referring to.
The rail tube fits directly into the deck supports that are screwed onto the deck, without any additional fittings...
Do you have any pics?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
RumLine

Post by RumLine »

Upon further inspection, I see what you mean. Thanks for keeping me straight.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

B28's OEM railings have separate fittings that connect each upright stanchion to the horizontal rail, as well as a 'vee' fitting at the bow and end fittings aft and base fittings for the stanchions themselves. Visit Suncor Stainless website and peruse their fittings, if I recall correctly the OEM fittings were ~30o and the tubing 7/8" diameter.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
RumLine

Post by RumLine »

Thanks for he clarification Preston. These fittings look like they had set screws that were tack welded where the set screws were located.

I really would like to try and find a couple of originals as the are beautifully sculpted.

I will, however look at the Suncor fittings and see if they will work.

Thanks.
RL.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I had to change my railing altogether as the space between the rail and the cabin was too narrow and was a constant threat to fall overboard. In our boating way we have to visit the bow quite often while mooring. The new railing stops quite some distance forward of the forward cabin corner, so all is good now.

In doing all this I remember that most of the allen set screws, both in the stanchion bases but also in the upper rail connection fittings were either missing or shot. As these allen screws are imperial I had a hard time sourcing them.
Finally I had my inox guy weld the stanchions around the base fittings, but not weld the upper ones, so that in case of a dock collision the rail could just dismantle without breaking the boat. The T shaped upper fittings don't need a set screw anyway because they can’t move as they're slid around the new railing which is one piece all around.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Yannis
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing to my 28 this morning. Is there any chance you post a photo of what it looks like and where it stopped. Also did you bend the rail and if so what did you use.

Thanks Kenny
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Kenny,

I sent you a pm.