Need Surveyor CT

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mark

Need Surveyor CT

Post by Mark »

Guys,

Hoping to officially join the group, finally. Have an accepted offer on a 31 FBC with 270 hp Cummins and now need a surveyor in Connecticut. Names of surveyors thrown at me so far are Chris Nebel and Andrew Dwyer. Would love a certified thermal imaging guy but as long as the person is a good surveyor. Also, looking for certified Cummins tech to look at the engines. The name that a few people have recommended for that is John Dudek.

Anyone know these guys or anyone else I should check out?

Amazing that the few I've called are all out 3 weeks before it can be scheduled.

Thank you
Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Tony Meola

Re: Need Surveyor CT

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

Congratulations. Enjoy the new ride.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

I've used both of these guys in the past - both top notch, and while a few hours away will come to Connecticut. http://www.mcdonoughmarinesurveyors.com did a BHM Downeast boat for me and http://www.gallupyachtsurveying.com/ did our present Bertram 31 Softop Express. Where is the boat you're looking at located? Best of luck.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Great news Mark!! Good luck.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Tony. Prepare for many phone calls. LOL
Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Great news Mark!! Good luck.
We'll see. Maybe I have just had too much time on my hands and drinking too much alcohol. LOL
ranjr13 wrote:I've used both of these guys in the past - both top notch, and while a few hours away will come to Connecticut. http://www.mcdonoughmarinesurveyors.com did a BHM Downeast boat for me and http://www.gallupyachtsurveying.com/ did our present Bertram 31 Softop Express. Where is the boat you're looking at located? Best of luck.
I'll check these guys out. Mystic. Thank you.

Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mark-

I have nothing to add in your search for a good surveyor but like to offer you the best of luck in both finding a good one and hoping survey goes as you wish.

...as to the Officially Joining part, if your here participating, like and honor the ride and fellow members, you've Officially joined in my humble opinion.

But having one is so much better than wanting...not all things in life work out that way.

Carl
Mark

Post by Mark »

Carl wrote:...as to the Officially Joining part, if your here participating, like and honor the ride and fellow members, you've Officially joined in my humble opinion....
Carl
Carl-Thanks...I hope the survey and all go well. You and all here have made me feel like part of the group over past couple of years...so thanks to all for that.
Mark
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

Call Grant Westerson in Old Saybrook, CT he was a Bertram dealer and a surveyor.
860-388-8899
Dug

Post by Dug »

Whats the boat Mark? Old School?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dug,

Sent you email.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

On my way to CT. Hope to be driving home Sunday with a new to us 31 weather permitting. Things took longer to get completed but being long distance and COVID-19 everything just takes longer. Have a few things to take care of today. Most of the major work done by yard. Would preferred to do it myself for both experience and cost but being 3.5 hours away, missing work, renting hotels all have costs too. Some things just needed to be done before heading south.

Planning to take the inside route through LI Sound then East River, Upper Bay and then around Sandy Hook heading south to Manasquan. Pre-plotted trip and comes out to 146 miles. Hopefully all runs well and no fuel issues. Fuel has been in tank for at least 19 months. Should make it on 1 tank. Carrying 4 extra favors and 2 engine filters. Put new impellers in. Changes trans oil. Have spare oil, coolant, jug of fuel, belts, duct tape, etc.

Any last thoughts or recommendations?

I’ll pics of the trip assuming all goes well.

Thanks.
Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Also, anyone know of potential marinas along the route in case of needed service or harbor that are reputable?

Thank you.
Mark
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

I think Tom ran that route a few years ago. Hopefully he see's t huus before you start. Weather is going to be iffy. Wa th the storms.

If you have to stop, there are marinas along the north shore of long island. Only one I was ever at was in huntington harbor, but that was 30 years ago.

Good luck, and safe trip.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Plenty of marinas on your way to the Hook, once past the hook its a ride to each inlet.

If you need a place to stay before the Hook, on the inside of the hook is the Atlantic Highlands Municipal, easy access, great for transients, fuel and service can be gotten. Also Great Kills harbor, but its a bit out of your way.

Not that you'll need it...but I'd purchase towing insurance from Boat US or Sea-Tow. I have heard some very expensive numbers from people needing a tow. Remember they charge from where they come from, not from where you are to where you're going.

I'm a fan of paper charts to look over my route...

Sharp Knife, tools and bungee cords. If you can't fix it with duct tape and bungee cords, its not broke. Cable ties are nice too.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark, did you end up as a proud new owner?????? :)