Finally the boat burnt some diesel fuel.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Finally the boat burnt some diesel fuel.

Post by Carl »

Saturday was a good day. I mounted the filter, ran the fuel lines to and from motor. Laid out the raw water intake, modified the transmission lines to clear deck. filled filter with fuel, pumped the lil handle. Borrowed a bucket and ran a hose...found my keys...turned the ignition on (is it an ignition on a diesel) ....pressed the start button which scared the hell out of me as it fired right up. I was expecting some cranking after almost two years.

Backpressure showed maybe .5PSI even with a little gooseing. The only way I was able to see 1psi was a bud holding a rag over the exhaust flange. Nope It doesn;t prove its going to work, but shows at this point its ok.

DON"T forget to turn the sound on and put volume way up!

https://imgur.com/xBWjKfv

CamB25

Re: Finally the boat burnt some diesel fuel.

Post by CamB25 »

The engine sounds happy to have a purpose! Congratulations!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Happy day!!!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I was waiting for this day,
Congratulations Carl! And all the best for both of them to make you a very happy guy whenever you push those throttles coming up very soon I’m sure! As usual, please keep the pics and videos coming.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Joy!
Congratulations.
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
John F.

Post by John F. »

I couldn't get the video, but congratulations
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:I couldn't get the video, but congratulations

Too bad John...the motor sounds great. It's # 1 on my new playlist.
Maybe by the time I get the other one cranked up, I'll figure a better way to post clips. I'm hoping that will be in the next week or two if I have any expectation of getting a slip this year.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sounds great Carl
best of luck with them
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Good to hear. The day is getting close. Amazing how fast those diesels fire up. One turn if that and you are off to the races.

Hopefully by the end of June you are floating.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Awesome
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I can’t hear the sound but I’m sure its a melody!

Install it as a ringtone!!!
Congratulations Carl.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:I can’t hear the sound but I’m sure its a melody!

Install it as a ringtone!!!
Congratulations Carl.

If like my computer you have to turn it on from the screeen...bottom right.

While I'd love to hear it as a ringtone...I'm not sure that is a good idea. I'd just let it ring and hope they'd call back soon.
I'm sure it will wear off soon enough...but for now, it's music to the ears.

Thanks all for the encouraging words. I know everyone has heard diesels run before and are over it. It is just a milestone for me; aside from a video sent from my friends who went to check them out, this is the first time I got to see and hear one of mine running, see it start up. I expected some cranking to be involved as I just ran the lines, topped off the motors filter, the Racor. Figured there was going to be air or something to not let it kick off. In truth...if it just cranked a bit I'd have been kinda happy I got that far. Guess you can tell from the video clip I was a bit excited...watching it back I was all over the place.
All good, it was a good day.

Yesterday..not so much. Finalizing the layout of the exhaust on the Starboard side...I need to move the turbo housing a few degree's...it said no. No, not gonna go! Gotta love those soft little hex head bolts they use. Of course the two problematic ones are the ones tucked in tight. A little spray and a loosen up blessing was offered as I covered the motor and made my way home. One good note...floor fits better then expected with the larger mufflers. A slight tweak and a shim and I think that's gonna be it. Motor box will be the last of the "is it gonna fit" loose ends....aside from the few hundred loose ends not related to them fitting.
Buddy of mine gets a bit excited when I tell him I really haven't exactly measured to see if it will fit...it's just gotta. And if it don't it will...I have a sawzall, grinders, big hammers, and a crate of fiberglass glue.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Carl,

Sounds like a perfectly tuned orchestra. Looks nice too. Can't wait for the duet! Amazing that it fired up that quickly.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

sound great congratulations it a great day to hear them light off with just a touch of the button
little quiet for my liking but...…… haha
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Carl,

Love the sound. Glad to hear that you are making progress.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

1962 31 wrote: little quiet for my liking but...…… haha

You have a point Tom.
Two boats over Mike asked me what happened, I thought you were starting it up today.
I'd like to say he was inside his boat or sanding the bottom...but he was playing with some deck rigging or something sailboaty.

Mike came over later when I had it running again (had to hear it one more time and do some checks...like to make sure it wasn't just a lucky shot it started earlier) and told me he had heard it early. He thought it was it was Ronnie with his diesel pickup again. He expected mine to be louder... I have to say away from the motors, it is pretty quiet...throaty for sure, but quiet. If I run the boat like I am hoping to, it will be a good thing. Although I see sound insulation being an important upgrade. Again.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl there is no better feeling than the thrust of diesel power as you throttle up the engines. There is no sweeter sound than the rumble of diesels as you idle out of the marina and there is absolutely nothing finer than the whiff of diesel exhaust on a crisp, clear morning as you handle lines at the dock just prior to heading out. Congratulations and get that boat in the water!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

SWEEEEET!!! Keep up the great work, Carl!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

One note on air in the line. I have had it happen. She starts and idles well, then you put it in gear and start to accelerate and it bogs down or dies. UGH. I have managed to just let it idle long enough to start to move the air out of the lines. Then once out on the water, nurse it up to speed then it cleared right out.

Otherwise start bleeding the injectors.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Tony, good to know.
Diesel is still real new to me..at least the hands on running part and maintaining part.

Gonna be a whole new world...hard starting used to be pull flame arrester off and check for fuel, if good, pull plug to check for spark...somewhere between the two I managed to get them going. I don't see that being my method moving forward. Cleaned out my spare parts draw...no more extra plug wires, inline gas filter, Cap, rotor, electronic ignition backup, old contacts, spare plugs and extra coils.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

One other thing, keep some wire ties on the boat. Should a fuel pump give you a hard time while you are out, there is a switch on it that you can wire tie up so the pump runs and you can start the engine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

One other thing, keep some wire ties on the boat. Should a fuel pump give you a hard time while you are out, there is a switch on it that you can wire tie up so the pump runs and you can start the engine.

Tony-

I am always prepared!

I always carry a supply of Wire Ties, Bungee Cords and Duct Tape, if I can't fix it with that stuff, it ain't broke.

if you think I'm kidding...went camping with family a few years ago. Went to lift the Pop-Up tongue off the hitch and pulled my back out bad...But managed to get camp setup, hit the river for a couple hours, diner. Next morning I saw stars trying to move, had a few Motrin..usually 20 minutes later I can move a bit...NOPE. Normally at work I keep a weight belt or compression belt to help support back. Didn't have either...but I did have a container of bungee cords. After three or four strapped around my waist I could just about stand, a few more I was taking steps. Made our trip to the river and the ice cold water did wonders on the back, only needed a few bungee cords going back.

One question, what would I tie up?? and my pump is a Cav, not one of the more popular ones...wonder if still the same option.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I will see if I can snap a pic this weekend when I head down to work on the old girl.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315