25 Bertram Resto

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

25 Bertram Resto

Post by Craig Mac »

Very good resto from down under---the cap is little different on the Aussie built boats---but beautiful example

https://mansfieldmarine.com.au/mansfiel ... 9X-qUBYH5Q
Joseph Fikentscher

Re: 25 Bertram Resto

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

25's are very popular in Australia.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

If boats looked like that coming out of the factory today and I wanted to buy something in that range new...thats one I'd look at.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Yup that’s a dandy!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

They did a nice job on her. That is a good looking boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

They did all this excellent work and put in a single gas I/O ?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- It's a 25' boat...where is anybody going in that boat that requires twins?

The single motor has that thing zipping along, a single is more economical, less maintenance...(exactly half) takes up less space,

Gas over diesel can be desirable...the initial cost is less, parts are less and you'll never get diesel fumes or algae in the tank issues. Gas motors are quieter.
Yes gas is more costly to run...but its a 25' boat...where is someone going where the cost of fuel is a huge factor. I don't see the return on investment coming into play in a 25' recreational boat that's setup in that way. In that way meaning, small entertaining, day boat or weekender if conditions are right.

Single to twin reliability. True, if one motor goes down on a single the boats not going anywhere the wind and tides not taking them. But with twins...many of the issues that cause one motor to go out can cause two to go out. Bad fuel...anybody we know personally that fill up and run twin tanks from different fuelings? So if bad fuel is taken on you can switch to a good tank. People who travel in questionable places do...around here single or twin tanks get filled together. Hit something when running...chances are both sides can get hit. Although I have to say I've been lucky that any bad hit had one side vibrate pretty bad and the other not too bad...so I'd come in on one and use the 2nd to dock.
Mechanical or electrical issues...its an issue that cannot be put aside. Years ago many problems crept up slowly giving you a warning...hard starting, a miss, running warm, performance lost and you made sure not to leave the dock till the issue was addressed. Today electric components can be hit or miss with no warning...buddies boat was a prime example. We were going out on his boat with a group for dinner. To save time we went across the harbor to fuel up, took a quick ride, came back cleaned boat then got dressed for dinner as people came down. Went to start motors, one kicked right off the other just cranked and cranked. Found out it was the high pressure fuel pump. We took my boat. Another time, same thing but early am to go fishing, the computer fried.

The I/O...efficient, nice to have the motor all the way in the back...makes for a nice seat, table, motors often easy to work on, nice to be able to raise it going into shallow water. But that is all I got...not a big fan of placing a huge chunk of aluminum in the saltwater. Not a fan of the rubber bellows keeping the outside water outside.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Not sure what I would select for power---my favorite is the twin small blocks inboards----but was very impressed how the interior was finished for this size boat---
Mark

Post by Mark »

Certainly is a sweet looking 25 with more room than I would have though possible (without using outboards of course). From a fishing perspective, maybe move the engine a couple of feet forward and run a jack shaft to the out drive. Don't think this was set up with fishing primary. Would lose storage though and may make it a little tight around the front side of the engine box. Everything is a trade off. Very attractive though.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

First of all, I’m trying to picture the dinner scene when the motor quit...priceless!
If it was my motor, it would have learned new words, that’s for sure!

Then, as I’m reading through your explanation, I realize that we live in different worlds...
There are 3 concepts here: the gas vs diesel, the single vs twin and the I/O vs any other solution.

Gas is fine when you are close to shore. But in bad weather and spray coming inboard, I’d rather not have spark plugs. So, diesel is more of a safety precaution than anything else.

Single is also fine, but gas single is worse than diesel single. So, if it’s gas, it better be twin. I understand the tank issues and all else, however I have personally been saved by twin redundancy. If it was fuel related, you’re right, it wouldn’t be so, but luckily it wasn’t.

Last, the I/O thing. Well, when there are so many outboard outfits that offer such a vast choice, I have a problem justifying the I/O just because it makes a nice table or it lifts in shoals. And when I saved from drowning a buddy years ago because his bellows in his Wellcraft broke and his pumps couldn't keep up, I gave up faith for these motors.

I’m also inherently against gas engines other than outboards, for safety reasons.
Therefore, if I had this beautiful 25 in my possession, I would either go single shafted diesel, or twin gas outboards. Voila!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis the dinner thing was not a big deal, my boat was literally one step from his...

The biggest thing is nobody wants to leave their boat not working...so had to find the mechanic. Which again, not a huge problem as he was always at the marina, working by day and enjoying other people's boats by night. Normally he's off duty, but his off duty is like when he comes over to me for help when I'm enjoying life on the dock. I stop what I'm doing and see what I can do for him...sometimes its bring it to me on Monday or take it apart and leave in my car, I'll bring back tomorrow. So my walk over had him at the boat in nothing flat, couple minutes its diagnosed as "need a pump". He's got one at home he can bring tomorrow and he'll be running again.
Bud and me are happy its nothing serious and the crowd hops on mine, we warm up and go...
Twin engines are good, but two boats are better.

I think your as opposed to gasoline as we here are opposed to propane gas in the boat. To me, gasoline poses little to no danger if proper precautions are taken.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, I cook with open propane flame in the boat and I couldn’t come to terms with having 500 liters of gasoline under my feet. And just because you mostly use gas inboards thats why you don't use propane

Most of you use your boats for fishing, so you grab a food bag and go. We always use them to go swimming and as live aboards so we cook for many people many meals per day...propane makes all this very practical.

Very few boats have gas inboards, less than 5%, mostly imported, the rest are diesels for over, say, 25-30 feet, or outboards for the smaller ones or some monstrous ribs. Some cigarette type boats too. I don't think there is a market for gas inboards at all. I have one friend who has a gasser and wants to put diesels, he can’t sell them but for scrap, per iron weight.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis I have and use propane for the BBQ that is used outside...over the tunnel...also has a stand for when we go someplace that does not allow an open flame for cooking. The propane is the little cylinders. Otherwise it's microwave cooking...or I guess heating up.

I thought the rationale for your (Europe) going diesel was cost of gas. Here, diesel seems to cost about 1/3 more. No more the cheaper alternative. Funny, the days I started thinking diesel it was a 1/3 the cost of gas and was almost twice the range per unit. How things change
Joseph Fikentscher

My engine box is in the middle. Used it to put in a seat back/rocket launcher. The wife has a seat and I can fish 4 more lines.

https://www.facebook.com/enduranceb25/p ... =3&theater

A single diesel would fit well under the box, and jack shafted to an outdrive should give great performance.

I think.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Joe,

We had this discussion with my mechanic, whether a diesel I/O could be a good compromise or not.
He said, among other things, that the outdrive (I understand this is the outboard part of the I/O) is a rather complicated system with many angles, therefore a lot of moving parts, that renders it too sensitive for the diesel torque. It is better, he said, to couple it with a gas engine so it lives longer. He has seen many diesel engines (he works with Volvos mainly) shave off the teeth of many outer units.

Carl,

Before prices plummeted by covid, transportation diesel was at €1.30ish Now it’s at €0.98.
Gas was at €1.60, now it’s at €1.20ish.
So transportation diesel is still around 25% cheaper than gas.
Add to it the diesel inherent economy and you got quite a reason to go diesel.
Not that it will ever pay off the original disbursement (with the 30-40 hours we put in every year), at least its a good excuse!
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

On our annual trip to saltwater last week we stopped at my new favorite fuel dock in the maritime industrial area of Ballard. This place is my new best friend! The larger commercial boats that take on 3-4,000 gallons pay per gallon must be sub $1 per gallon. I paid $1.27/gallon for 71 gallons, less than half what they are charging at the marinas.

Ballard is an old fishing center which used to be full of dive bars now all gone since the techies moved in but this place reminds me of a "dive" fuel dock hardly even identified other than an old painted sign on the side of a building. He does a robust business and the fuel dock attendant was cheerful and helpful.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

Have not bought diesel yet this year, still on the hard, but we have it delivered to the boat, and we are paying about the same price as what they sell it to the gas stations. So I am assuming it will be under $2.00 a gallon in NJ, since it does not have all the road tax applied to it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:My engine box is in the middle. Used it to put in a seat back/rocket launcher. The wife has a seat and I can fish 4 more lines....
Joe - Very Nice. In the water and cruising the river. Hard to tell from the pic but are you at Manasquan River Club or Lightning Jacks?

Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

Doug-
That would be my favorite marina too at that price!

Yannis-
I'm not sure of the latest fuel price but think gas is in the 2.30 range and diesel comes in around $3.20 on land. On the water no road tax added, but extra insurances and a captive audience...
As to outdrives and diesel...true your not going to pull a 250hp gas motor out and stick a 300hp diesel in and expect the drive to take it. BUT, like going small block gas to big block gas or even upping the hp a good amount you need to match the drive to the power and torque.
They make some very robust outdrives. My dad had a little 17' Chrysler runabout with a Mitsubishi diesel and huge OMC outdrive that was a factory prototype he bought from the engineer that put it together. That was back in the gas crunch days of the 70's. It wasn't a great setup with WAY too much weight in the back, required HUGE trim tabs to get up on plane. But once it was on plane it just went and went barely sipping fuel...didn't hurt it was a flat bottomed ski boat design. I think True World had a diesel I/O as their Flagship design for years with a single Yanmar. I have no issues with the robustness of the I/O units...my issue is it a hunk of aluminum hanging off the back of a boat in Salt Water. Use the best paints and coatings is all well and good till it gets scratched off.

Joe-
You put that hump to good use.
Joseph Fikentscher

Mark,

I usually dock at Manasquan River club. Not sure if I am launching this year. need to do some work on the boat and also thinking of moving, downsizing. Kids are gone so I don't need a 4/5 bedroom home in a highly taxed state. I live in Wall (Manasquan mailing address) a few blocks behind Harpoon Willy's. Was an easy 5 minute commute to the boat.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

What about outboards then?
They are also aluminum chunks hanging in the water.
Also, before you say that they are in the water ONLY while they are working and are lifted up while at rest, I bet there is less than 10% of them being COMPLETELY lifted up so as not to touch the water and continue making electrolytic contact. Which is as if they weren't lifted up at all!
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

I just filled up the B35 in Panhandle of Florida and paid $1.85/gallon. This is off-road or dyed diesel so we don’t pay fuel (road) tax.
Best price at a Marina that I can remember!
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis-

I love outboards! I have a 3-1/2hp Mercury for my Avon Dingy. I have a 7-1/2 Hp Evenrude from the 1950's that was my dads when he was growing up. I like them on ski boats especially in a lake.

Salt water application for bigger boats...I still like the familiarity of I/O's. My first boat to hit the water was I/O...it was pretty new with no problems to speak of. I boaught wanting to cruise around and I did...boy did I. Then got board and started to fish and tha was just the wrong boat for fishing. Got a deal on a 23' with brand new motor that was inboard. I am completely familiar with inboard...while not as efficient air love the absolute simplicity of the design...and no big hunks of aluminum hanging off the back in salt water.

If there was a perfect solution there would not be choices.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Mark,

I usually dock at Manasquan River club. Not sure if I am launching this year. need to do some work on the boat and also thinking of moving, downsizing. Kids are gone so I don't need a 4/5 bedroom home in a highly taxed state.

I'm in a yacht club now...ridiculously cheap but I am so tired of sending so much of my income to the city both for personal and business. Traffic, while light now sucks the life out of me. I leave earlier and earlier to beat it...but how much earlier then 5:30 can you leave for work. Then you have to get home...If I left when we close at 3pm..not so bad. But that rarely happens. Leaving at 4,5 or six means an hour traffic for a 20 minute ride. Might as well stay and work some more... it's more money to give to the gubberment. Hire people...lol. City pays my trade more then I can for an easier job with full benefits. Bring someone in...who wants to pay $17 bucks a day to cross a bridge and sit in traffic.

Yes...it's time to downsize and head out...but where? I need to be by water...and not a lack or river...
Joseph Fikentscher

Carl,

Thinking about North Carolina. I can save 10 grand/year in property taxes. And still be near or on the water.

CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Yannis wrote:Carl,

What about outboards then?
They are also aluminum chunks hanging in the water.
Also, before you say that they are in the water ONLY while they are working and are lifted up while at rest, I bet there is less than 10% of them being COMPLETELY lifted up so as not to touch the water and continue making electrolytic contact. Which is as if they weren't lifted up at all!
You are correct. Not all can tilt fully out of the water. This is one reason I added the jackplate. Gives my 7 inches of vertical lift to easily clear the water.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Carl,

Thinking about North Carolina. I can save 10 grand/year in property taxes. And still be near or on the water.
Hurry, Joe, this place is filling up fast! V-drives will tough around here unless you are always cruising the ICW or heading off shore. Skinny water everywhere.
1963 Bertram 25
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Carl,

Property taxes have gotten out of control. And in NY we get such great schools for our taxes, I felt it necessary to pay for private. Garbage collections are paid for except electronics, big stuff, leaves and clippings in their container of choice. With all this No more plastic bag stuff....why do I have to buy special plastic bags for my lawn, leaves, and tree trimmings? Would it not be better to just place all in a garbage pail than dump into the back of the truck?? But no...special plastic bags OR I can buy special paper leaf bags, ones that don't fit inside the pails well. So bags get left out and of course it rains or is windy that night. In either case I'm cleaning up a mess again. I clean as garbage men, aka- Sanitation Engineers don't clean what they spill or care if the leaf bags rip open, get knocked down. Has to go out the night before, but not before 5pm or ticket. I'd bring out at 5:30 when I leave or 5:15 when I walk dog...but they come lately around 3 or 4am.
...and the new Zero Vision scheme from De Basio. Change speed limits because schools are several blocks away OR they adopted a new Speed Reduction Zone. Yup....just in case you can get your car out of traffic and manage to go far enough before stopping at a light 35MPH is changed to 25mph. Luckily we don;t even need cops to patrol those area's as they are enforced with Speed Camera's. Had one put in by my house...Blvd was regulated from 40mph to 30mph because the end of the Island is coming up in 3000' and road stops ahead.
So done...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Do they actually enforce the not before 5 PM rule? It is 7PM in my town and has be taken in as soon as the garbage is collected. At least that is what the town says, but they do not enforce it. They mayor knows he would be tar and feathered and rode out of town on a rail.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Was thinking about NC too or possibly. But where! Still need to work and not a tradesman where I can just start my own thing. Need to be close to the water but also close to the woods. Have to make sure not near any pig farm runoff. Got to worry about Hurricane alley. South Carolina an option too. But similar concerns. Oh, and gators trying to eat your dog. But a much shorter run to the Gulf Stream...

Mark
Joseph Fikentscher

Mark,

A lifelong friend owns Broadcreek Boatworks in Wanchese and also owns the boat Kahuna from Wicked Tuna. Around there would be nice.

But I think further south around the Wilmington area might be a better buy for the money. I don't need to be right on the water. Just need to be easy driving distance to a marina.

Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Mark,

A lifelong friend owns Broadcreek Boatworks in Wanchese and also owns the boat Kahuna from Wicked Tuna. Around there would be nice.

But I think further south around the Wilmington area might be a better buy for the money. I don't need to be right on the water. Just need to be easy driving distance to a marina.

Driving distance to the marina would be fine by me...

Provided it's not stupid driving like it is around here. Two people decide they want to go 25 mph in a 40mph zone. Hey, I'm fine with that, its two lanes and I have a steering wheel with a gas pedal, I can go around...Oh, But that's right, they also want to drive next to each other taking up BOTH lanes...maybe for company or moron support.

Almost as good as the guy that just cut you off decides to drive slow...hey again, no problem, we'll overlook the cutting me off, I'll go by and no longer do we need to meet. So I step on the gas and go by...but he speeds up. OK...no need for me to go any faster, , ,your awake and we are doing the limit, no worries I'll tuck back in behind...and we are back to slow. Here we go again...

That is only to be beaten by the car in the center lane with left signal on...so I pass on the right only to have the car make a right turn from the center lane.

Yes...I'd be ok driving a bit to a marina, just can't be with all the wonderful drivers that seem to congregate around here.

....if you can't tell, traffic is starting to pick up on the island again. Funny as the Mayor and Governor say we are still on lockdown....where's everyone going at 5:30 in the morning with no work??

Tony- I really don't know if they ticket for putting it out early, my wife says they do and I guess that's all I do know. Luckily I'm rarely home before 5 to put it out early...
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Down here you'll have to a different set of annoyances...there is no free ride, despite what AOC tells you in NY. No-seem-ums drive me crazy. Long haul to Gulf Stream from Wilmington. Good luck finding anyone to do work for you...subcontractors are the worst, builders are a close second. Have to learn to deal with summer grasses - no more tall fescue! But, I still think this place is paradise compared to the DC area. Wilmington has grown up quite a bit in the last 15 years, but it still has some small city charm. Also need to be VERY careful bout where you buy or build...elevation is key.
1963 Bertram 25
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Cam

The run offshore from Wilmington can not be as bad as it is up hear. My run to the tip of the Hudson is close to 100 miles.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Five years ago I left Long Island for Stuart, Florida. I read your posts now and find it hard to believe that I ever put up with that nonsense, but when you live with it every day you don't realize how bad it is. I wound up with a house almost twice the size I had in NY for about 2/3 the price. My taxes are 1/3 what they were in NY. The Gulf Stream is about 9 miles from the inlet; the continental shelf is 11 miles away. When the water is clean I can drift the reef in 40 feet of water and clearly see the bottom. Gas at the marina last week was 2.19 a gallon, for 90 octane non-ethanol. The people are, for the most part, friendly and respectful; it reminds me of the way Long Island was 40 years ago.
Downsides: of course, nothing is perfect. If the Army Corp releases water from the lake it poisons the rivers and turns everything to brown mud. If you work for someone else there is no money to be made; however, if you can work for yourself the opportunities are unlimited. It's like Cam said; the locals don't have much of a work ethic. Call a tradesman, and you might get a return call in 2 or 3 weeks. There is actually a local business here whose ads boast "We show up!"
The weather is, for the most part, magnificent. I always thought that July in NY was the best time of the year; here, it is July for 6 months. Is it hot in the summer? Hell yes, but it is not unbearable; and in my opinion, it is much better than being cold. It is only about 6 weeks, from mid-August to the end of September, that the humidity is really uncomfortable.
Hurricanes: I was terrified of hurricanes when I lived in NY, because I thought that a big storm would destroy everything you had, and there was nothing you could do about it. Since I have been here I have had a cat 4 pass 15 miles to the east of me, and a cat 5 pass 40 miles to the west of me. Neither did any damage at all; I never even lost power. There is a huge difference when you live in a place that is prepared for storms; the electric lines are designed to withstand sustained 140 mph winds, the drainage is designed for the heavy rains, and the houses are made of concrete. Unless the eye of the storm goes right over you odds are you are going to be OK.
I could keep going for pages. The bottom line is, I think, if you have had enough pick a spot and go! It isn't going to get any better where you are, and none of us are getting any younger. No one knows what the future holds; grab a piece of the good life while you can enjoy it.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

I've never lived in the Northeast but have spent years in several areas of the country; southwest, central, gulf and southeast. That's why before I retired I moved to Melbourne, FL, you can almost have it all here; the Atlantic Ocean with the Gulf Stream close by, 3 great rivers (Indian, Banana & St. John's) with awesome fishing, lakes everywhere and we get to watch every space launch from our front door. Plus the cost of living is probably 1/3 than in the northeast and very reasonable. The state, county and city governments are also pretty unobtrusive leaving you to live your life pretty much as you see fit. Is it perfect? Of course not but it's as close as I've been able to find. Now all I need is a boat so I can take advantage of all the awesome fishing!
Looking for my next boat!
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm not hooked on Florida...

Green Tides, Red Tides, wild bore, Fire Ants, Poisonous Frogs, Alligators, crocodiles, snakes of assorted sizes and venoms, Panthers and now Florida has toxic worms.

Hurricanes and humidity.

I love the beach...but seems like Florida is becoming a nice feeding area for sharks and they now have'em in all sizes and species.

However, I'd take over NYC in a heartbeat. The Mayor and Governor want me out, they keep pushing and pushing, I can take a hint. If I had a product or two I could make for myself I'd move now...well after kids got out of school.
Joseph Fikentscher

With family in Va, Florida seems too far south. Im sure there is some good fishing in southern NC.

CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:With family in Va, Florida seems too far south. Im sure there is some good fishing in southern NC.
5.5 to 6.5 hours from Wilmington up to Alexandria, Joe. Not horrible if the traffic north of Fredericksburg is reasonable. I've been doing the run once or twice month for 14 years...heading back tomorrow night or Friday. Come down for a visit and I'll show you around.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

If Y’all came to visit the FL Panhandle, Destin, or the “Redneck Riviera” (Panama City Beach), to Pensacola Beach and the Alabama Shore you would go home and start packing your bags!
Our Governor never closed fishing and boating, and is doing everything possible to get the State up and running.
We actually have three seasons, short winters, long cool spring weather and nice Fall weather too. Summer is hot but along the coast the breeze rarely stops. Other than Destin during tourist season, the traffic is light and bearable. Southern Hospitality is outstanding with friendly folks always offering a cold beer or Mint Julep! The Fishing is kick ass with bottom fishing and trolling just offshore! I grew up in Illinois then travelled around the world compliments of the USAF. This is the best place I’ve ever lived, to include So FL. Cost of living is very cheap, low tax base, cheap fuel and bait, with sugar sand white beaches!
Need I say more....
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tooeez wrote:Five years ago I left Long Island for Stuart, Florida....
nestorpr wrote:I've never lived in the Northeast but have spent years in several areas of the country; southwest, central, gulf and southeast. That's why before I retired I moved to Melbourne, FL,...
Seapalm wrote:If Y’all came to visit the FL Panhandle, Destin, or the “Redneck Riviera” (Panama City Beach), to Pensacola Beach and the Alabama Shore you would go home and start packing your bags!
You guys have us packing our bags. I have enough IT/Construction experience to possibly do a trade. If not, maybe I can verse myself in being a Medicare consultant. Both boys would probably come too since they are getting into spearfishing. Not a great way to fish in NJ with 5 ft visibility.
Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Mark, A lifelong friend owns Broadcreek Boatworks in Wanchese and also owns the boat Kahuna from Wicked Tuna...
Joe-I too have looked at Wanchese and Wilmington. They are supposed to be getting grant to dredge Oregon Inlet continuously to help with shoaling. Getting a little costly there and I worry about elevation as
CamB25 wrote:...elevation is key.
Always thought Florida would bee to hot. And the boss treats opening day deer season like a religious holiday. Not sure I could get used to hunting in hot weather but I'm sure we would adapt over time. Would have lots of cold weather gear for sale.

Well, back to packing....
Mark
scot

Post by scot »

Proud native Texan, great place. Won't go into all the attributes.. just say'in that coastal Texas is a good deal all the way around.
Keep it quiet, we are full up down here :)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

scot wrote:Proud native Texan, great place. Won't go into all the attributes.. just say'in that coastal Texas is a good deal all the way around.
Keep it quiet, we are full up down here :)
Scot

I have a friend down in Houston. He moved down there for a job, now he is retired. He keeps on telling me to come down and join him.

I have had a brief tour of Dallas, and spent several weeks up in Wichita Falls/Iowa Park. I guess if I decided to become a rancher, I would lean toward the Wichita Falls area. But that is not happening, be hard to float the 31 up there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Tony,

I live an hour south of Houston on the coast. You’d be surprised how many of the boats in the marina up the street from me are owned by folks out of the Dallas area. From all over Texas really. Once you get used to the fact you can drive for 12 or 13 hours and still be in the same state, driving 6 or 7 hours to the boat isn’t all that bad. The Houston crew can be down here in an hour.

I’ve been on the Texas Gulf Coast for most of my adult life but I grew up in the panhandle with the occasional minus 10 deg f winter days & hip deep snow. Digging out the car and putting on the snow chains. (Only a few days at a time though) and I've dove with whale sharks in the gulf. So there is a lot of variability here.

Any board members that happen to be in the south Houston / Freeport area I’d be glad to show you around.

Seapalm,

I’m native Texan but I spend as much time in Florida as I can. When I retire I’m going to split time between Texas and far SE Florida. I guess I’ll be a snowbird running from too dang hot to even hotter. Lol.

You might want to keep quiet about that Fl panhandle. That place is sweet. Don’t even mention 30A. I love that area but haven’t been there in years. I know Michael hammered much of the area, hope it’s coming back.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Daniel

Unfortunately we are hoinbb no wggere while my wife's mother is still around. Then we will see. I am not sod on Florida. I am thinking Charleston area but who knows.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I made the mistake of dreaming a little and priced some homes in the panhandle, Carolinas now have sales people calling, emailing and texted me. I forgot what a pain that can be.

Its nice to know once your out of the city you can get so much more for your money...and get to keep more of it too.

Elevation is important
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Tony, I understand about needing to be around for your MIL. We lived out on the water for about 8 years in a house up on pilings. But my wife’s dad lives with us and when he hit 80 the stairs started to be a worry. So we’ve been back in town for the last 7 or so years. We’ll be in town as long as pop is in good enough health to stay with us.

But my wife and I do miss living on the water. Once you get used to a house up in the air it’s hard to go back to town. I had 3 garages and probably near 1000 feet of concrete area under the house. The garages had overhead doors front and back so we’d throw the doors open to catch the breeze and just about live under the house. It was nice to have the boat in the slip right there. We’re not done living on the water, but just not right now.

You do have to take the good with the bad though. When hurricanes came through we had to bug out, so you have to have a plan. And we had about 2’ of water in the garages with Hurricane Ike. But they’re built with that in mind so you just open up and hose out after the storm.
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote:But they’re built with that in mind so you just open up and hose out after the storm.

Provided of course it's still there to hose out....
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Yes, for sure. And therein lies the gamble I’ve been willing to take to enjoy the coast. Like I said, you have to have a plan for hurricanes. Not only how to prepare for them, but what to do if you come back to nothing. It can happen.

I work for a big petrochemical plant here on the coast. Many of my friends/coworkers move inland once they retire just to get away from the yearly worry. Not everyone’s cup of tea.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Also, everyone down here gripes about the windstorm codes that are enforced when you build. But from what I’ve seen after Ike, I believe it’s well worth the money. Not much will stand up to a direct hit, but we had sustained winds at my place of 110-115 mph and I lost some shingles, a hand rail, and some outdoor ceiling fans I didn’t take down. That and the water in the garages. But all in all the newer built homes fared pretty well.

Our house was adjacent to a very large wildlife refuge. The very first palmetto leaf I went to pick up after the storm had a rattle snake coiled up under it. Turns out if you scream like a little school girl it stuns them for just a second or two and gives you a little time to whack them with a 2x4. Boy oh boy, I love living the life on the Gulf Coast….always an adventure.