Flybridge panel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

Flybridge panel

Post by coolair »

whats the general consensus on material and design to replace the plywood panel on the fly bridge under the helm?
Was thinking either something like starboard or using a thin sheet of core material and covering with fiberglass.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tony Meola

Re: Flybridge panel

Post by Tony Meola »

Plywood is easy to work with, not that big of a piece so weight is not an issue. No real rot issues up on the bridge.

But if I was doing it I would go with Coosa, Penske board or something like that. You might be able to glass the back side and edges and formica the face of it to make it easy, or get a fiberglass skin and glue it to it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Matt, if you decide to go with coosa don’t buy a full sheet for that. I may have a left over piece in my shop that would probably be about that size I could give you. I’ll look around the shop tomorrow and see what I may have.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Matt,

Mine is a thin (2-3mm) plastic like surface, that looks like carbon fiber.
It’s cracked all around the screws that keep it in place, but I assume that it would have looked nice and sporty when it was new...hmmm, say, some decades ago.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Donmystic1

Post by Donmystic1 »

I have a used panel from a 28 Bertram
Pm me for pictures
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I am in process of redoing my panel as well-----original was 5/8 plywood covered in Formica-----lasted 43 years --can't complain.

Wanted to use a piano or soss hinge for the doors instead of a butt hinge---will probably need to go to 3/4.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Matt, I have a few scrap drops from my last coosa project that would be big enough to work for you. ¾”. Yours if you can use them. I’m thinking plywood would be fine for what you’re doing as well. But if you want to see what Coosa board is like to work with, these are just gathering dust at my place.

My shop is about a ¼ mile from that guy in Brazoria county that had the North Coast boat with the Cummins engines on pallets you looked at awhile back. I make it up to Harris county every now and then as well.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thank you for info. Thanks Danny.
I talked with the guys at the local fiberglass supply and they recommend i try a light weight foam core because its not structural. Couple layers of mat on each side and it should be good. the sheet is cheap enough so.. we will see how it turns out.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
HyenaLuv

Post by HyenaLuv »

If you could use it, I have a gauge panel off a 28 at my house. In Houston.

When I re-did mine, I used some sort of starboard knock off junk.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with marine ply with a nice veneer. Stain it to match the rest of the wood. Go for an old school classic look.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I was under the bridge this weekend and noted the wiring harness has a lot of mold----is there anything I could spray down with that won't be harmful to the

wiring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

As in black mold or is it green? I assume you mean on the wire casing and not the connections.

If it is truly mold, I would first wash it with a good detergent and if that did not work, then I would try a 5% bleach to water solution.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Yes--black mold on the plastic casing.
Mark

Post by Mark »

You could also try Hydrogen Peroxide or Benefect Decon 30. Bleach could make the wiring brittle depending on the age of the wiring.

Peroxide will take a little work meaning brush it on and keep applying until it stops bubbling and the brush/wipe off.

The Benefect Decon 30 you just spray on. You can wipe off or leave it. Up to you. I used the regular Benefect to disinfect or walls after a bad mold issue during the rebuild of our house. Many restoration companies use it. Oh...it also kills Covid-19. The difference between the Benefect Original Disinfectant and Benefect Decon 30 is that the Decon 30 has an added surfactant to help with cleaning and use on vertical surfaces. I think the Decon 30 has a little less thymol in it though. I have no affiliation with the company. Might be hard to find now, though. Usually Amazon has it or janitorial supply companies.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

I never heard of Benefect Decon 30 but I just came across a product called Anti3. That is the website also. Hospital grade cleaner disinfectant, that kills mold. They do not ship to all states.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony,

Benefect is also hospital grade. I originally saw it being used at HSS in NY several years ago. I know insurance professionals use it for clean up including drug and blood related cleanups. And it is all plant based. You can spray the disinfectant on your counters and let it dry. No need to wipe off or rinse. Once dry, ok for food contact. Website below. No reason why it can't be used on a boat that I can see.

Anti3 looks like a good product but its active ingredient seems to be ammonium chloride.

https://benefect.com/us

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp