Rudder Leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Rudder Leak

Post by moguls2go »

guys-

I noticed a fair amount of water entering the boat near one of our rudder posts last season, which only happens while underway. At the dock everything is dry.

I assume this is a rudder stuffing box in need of repacking, but figured I'd ask for opinions in case others have had a similar issue and found it to be something other than the stuffing box.
Max
Carl

Re: Rudder Leak

Post by Carl »

Max,

Simplest of all would be snugging up the packing gland a little more.

next down on the list would be if packing is just worn away and you need an additional ring of packing.

after that comes if the packing is shot and you need to pull it all out and repack with fresh.

Then comes the point you need to see if the rudder shaft is worn so bad it will not seal. Sometimes you can polish away a small step or notch...other times the rudder can be lifted up a little or brought down a hair so packing can seal on a fresh pice of shafting. If not...new rubber

Sometimes the rudder port itself is worn so badly it does not support the bottom end of the rudder enough so as rudder gets pushed back from water and prop wash the shaft cocks in the gland and water gets by.

Then comes...is the packing gland leaking or did the seal on rudder port let go. A good hit can break the seal, loose bolts or solvents in the bilge. At rest the port sits stable and is sealed...push some water past it and you have a leak.

If boats out, I'd yank on the rudder a bit...should be very slight if any play. That would rule out worn wear at the lower end. Obviously if port moves...thats the issue.

From there I'd pull the gland apart and check the condition of the packing.

If boats in the water...I'd jump into snugging the gland up a bit till it stops leaking. If at dock...maybe a quarter turn and see. If underway, snug till leaking stops or gland gets tight.
Rudder packing can be tighter then shaft packing as rudder shaft only moves a little...so no overheating to worry about. A shaft gland you want to see a drop or 3 every minute or so.

Think I covered most of it...if they haven;t been adjusted in awhile, most likly just a little bit of a turn on packing nut will be all you need.