38 bertram bulkhead removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Anthony

38 bertram bulkhead removal

Post by Anthony »

I have a 1984 38 Bertram with 3208 troubles. I am considering repowering with Cummins 480 QSB. For ease of removal and install I would like to remove rear bulkhead, which is not in great shape anyway. Has anyone done this or have any advice. I think that Bob repowered a 38 in NJ with Cats.?
Thanks Anthony
bob lico

Re: 38 bertram bulkhead removal

Post by bob lico »

38' removed 3208 cats and repowered with cat 450hp c-7 . removed ugly buikhead and moved bridge entry to starboard side.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

You replaced it did you not?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Bob, Were you able to take it out in one piece or did you have to cut it out. How are the sides and top do they fit into a channel I know how the bottom is configured because I already did some repairs.
The bottom was rotted pretty good. Do you have any pictures? Were you able to use the same shafts, exhaust and engine beds? Is the boat still in NJ?
Thanks Anthony
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i did not personally take out the bulkhead and the cat. 3208/ 420hp engines because the boat was in a yard in NJ that did not allow it. so the yardman removed the entire bulkhead and engines.,the engines were sold on the spot and the boat floated down to Tom`s River NJ. John Lane is installing the c-7 Catapillar with electronic cat computers. the boat has a gorgeous Captain Patrick bridge similar to current 50' viking so the ladder on port side of the bridge and would cause problems with passenger passing in front of captain to get to walk thru on starboard side of the bridge.so ladder to bridge will be from starboard side like new 61 Bertram. All work has stopped my wife had a major stroke and is in a assisted living trauma unit.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow, Bob, I am so sorry to hear about your wife! I will keep both of you in my prayers. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob so sorry to hear about your wife, anything we can do don't hesitate to be in touch.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Bob Sorry to hear about your wife I hope all works out for you. Thank you again for the info
Anthony
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Sorry to hear about your wife. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Tail Chaser

Post by Tail Chaser »

Sorry to hear about your wife... life can change in an instant. Praying for yall
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Sorry to hear about your wife. We will all be praying for her. Remember if you need any help yell.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Bob

Sorry to hear about your wife. As others here have said, let us know if we can help in any way.

FWIW, I live in Great River, just a few miles down the road from Sayville

We will be keeping you and your wife in our prayers.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob
So sorry to hear the news about your wife. Hoping for the best of recoveries.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Anthony

John has just purchased a set of 450 Cs with good gears out of a boat I know well. With that said I would do 500s in your boat. It's a running gear change but overall the right power for the boat.
I told Vinny if it were mine I'd do 600's. It's just programming.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

not boat related but i have to say the brain is an incredible organ. she had blood vessel burst on the right side of the brain . two weeks of intensive care in the stroke truma unit and received a huge favor i was able to get her into the only head truma assisted living on long island.the PT people an speech therapist are miracle workers ! working on her twice a day 7 days a week she now has full speech,complete use of right side and left arm.the brain has to learn to make the left foot move but she walks with the use of a walker.i am there 6 days a week. seriously can not think of boat other than i know quite a few in boating world and that 38' with one level salon,galley is the cats ass.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

JP, she moved along nicely at 24 knots with 3208 @420 hp now taking out 2500 pounds and going with c-7 450hp and some shifting weight to balance should be in at 26/27 knots. put 8 KW gennie in a W/p box under cockpit with hand made coosa board cockpit and massive kill boxes full lengh of deck
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
Glad your wife is responding so well. I am sure everyone in the sandbox as I are praying for your wife's full recovery.
Keep us up to date.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

somebody spent a trillion on the repower job in a well know boat yard in ft lauderdale. they put in new 1 3/4" aquanet 22 shafts /structs/PSS shaft logs and gears ,rudders so to go with 6CTA 600hp was a big jump and have to change everything.my partner is making a fistfull of dollars so possibly in the future but with F/G custom work ,paint etc going cost big bucks and out of my hands.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Horrible news Bob, so sorry.
As bad as it is your so right about getting the right kind of help and therapy.
Best wishes and prayers on her recovery.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Is the boat still over at John Lanes place?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes tony the boat is still there and engines are complete in his shop.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have cried many a night in the intensive care unit while they were trying to stabilize her blood pressure with two stents in her heart and the preventive blood- thinning medicine adding to the stroke problem. i just want to say to all my brothers whom have given me well wishers. i thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!! PS mike O and a dozen others on my e-mail i extend my thanks.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Bob,our prays are with you keep your head above the water
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what can i say, neil,kathy and the "CAPTAIN". thank you for the inspiring phone call.people like you make it easier to get thru hard times.a matter of hours i would have lost her if i did not get the world`s best Neuro- Surgeon flown in . BREWSTER we have to take him fishing!!!!.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

The guys have come together to help fellow sandbox members before, so everyone is here for you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob

I had no idea. Hope all goes well.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Bob sorry to hear the news. I am wishing your wife a speedy recovery!
Jason
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thank you for the advice I am in Florida now looking to see how the fly bridge comes off I’m thinking of shipping the boat back to NJ. I think it would be easier for me having the boat close to me rather than 1000 miles away. Just trying to weigh out all options. Bob once again wishing you wife a speedy recovery.
Anthony
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Anthony i am going thru a real tough time mentally for example my daughter visit twice a week to sit and talk with mom. my granddaughter her daughter was excepted into Penn State and my wife knows all the many achievements she has made as cheerleader,coach,gynastics and honor society with college level courses in her junior year but cannot remember or use basic I-phone .cannot remember what she ate yesterday but no problem 20 years ago.i can build everything on a 38' Bertram like build the engines and gears from scratch ,all fiberglass work,all kinds of fancy wood work even build cabinets,of course electronics/ electrical no problem but trying to bring back her former life one step forward one step backward. two hours discussion on using the cell phone and she gets confused the next day.i don`t have the answers that`s for sure.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Patience my friend. She will get it but it will take time. The brain need to be retrained. Keep supporting her and make sure she does not give up. My cousin had a stroke, we thought he was finished. Layed in a fetal position for weeks. He recovered, and had gained back full function. It is possible.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Bob, sorry to hear of your wife's troubles. We are wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

Regards,

Joe
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob- The i-phone is overrated anyway...so don't spend too much time worrying about that right now, maybe consider a retro flip phone. Remembering what was eaten last night isn't important when you consider the two of you ate together last night.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Bob .....
Sorry to hear about your wife and glad to hear that she is doing better.
All best
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl my daughter and son cheered me up today . dad mom test like you been doing the last 10 years ,every text is misspelled. terrible spelling , etc. i commended they are both right. Steve thank you for your concern and the 1 million dollar home on ST Lucie Blvd, Stuart is history i am staying right here in Sayville unless i could move to Sag Harbor
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob...sounds like your wife and you raised some great children. Its easy to be there in the good times...alot tougher in the hard times.

...your wife might be spelling and texting like you now, but I have a strong feeling it won't be too long before she's correcting your spelling and wondering what the hell is Bob trying to say in this text. Your "Fren" Carl
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks for the words of encouragement carl, i cannot wait for her to correct my spelling,speech,etc.my children talk to or visit their mother twice a week and both have families.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Bob:

Recovery is a process, dealt with it for long years with my father. Remaining optimistic must be your north and must be reflected throughout. Celebrate any and all progress she makes. The Faithful are strong at heart. This fight is yours.

David
incoming

Post by incoming »

Anthony -

I have an 85 Bert 38 with 480ce’s, pretty simliar to the qsb’s you are putting in. As a matter of fact, if you can get 480ce remans cheaper than the QSBs it could be worth a thought.

In any case I think you’ll be happy. I have her propped for ease on the engines and (hopefully) longevity. Can cruise anywhere from 18.5kts to 23kts, getting about .9nmpg to .75nmpg with a clean bottom depending on how fast I cruise. WOT is about 27kts.

Might want to take a peek at the aft engine room bulkhead to make sure it doesn’t need shoring up. Doubt it would need to be replaced altogether but maybe some doublers. The aft bulkhead toeboard tends to leak on it softening it up over time, and you’ll never get better access than when the engines are out.

Bob - I’ll add my hopes to everyone else’s for a quick recovery for your wife. So sorry you and she are having to go through that.
1985 Bertram 38 / 2002 6CTA 480CE's
Catalina31

Post by Catalina31 »

Anthony,
Here are two 38s with the bulkhead removed. They both have removable izon glass. I loved the idea and wanted to do it on our 38 but my wife shot it down quickly. Good luck with the project.
-Brian

Brian Vanderspek
B38 Off Hand BERL1215M82
Sold B31 Fun 'N' Games 315-174-1285