Do I Need Crush Collars or Sleeves

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Nardi

Do I Need Crush Collars or Sleeves

Post by John Nardi »

Hi,

I am using all Centex new components for my exhaust runs from the engines to the muffler to the outlet. All the fiberglass is at least around 1/8 of an inch thick...I plan on using the good T clamps...Do I absolutely need to use stainless crush sleeves or collars to prevent cracking? Thanks in advance....John
JP Dalik

Re: Do I Need Crush Collars or Sleeves

Post by JP Dalik »

I have not used crush collars
Have always used a good lubricant to slide the rubber or silicone hump hoses on an double clamped.
Have done quite a few boats with no issues.
If your using high temp silicone collars use the recommended clamps so you don't cut into the collars.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Hey JP can I call you about this and also ask you about your rigger set up? Thanks, John
Carl

Post by Carl »

Only one time have I had a muffler crack when clamping.
That was some 24 years ago when trying to stop all the lil drips and drops after I bought boat. Clamps to that muffler always loosened up, I'd reach in there blind with my 1/4" rachet to snug. Then after a bit of running the drip was back, tighten, good for a bit then drip drip...finally after tightening one time it didn't sound too good with a crunch, the drip became a leak. Pulled the deck up, disconnected the forward leaking section to find it was cracked. I found it had been cracked once before and it was glassed back together on a taper that wasn't quite round. Hose would snug then slide forward loosen and leak. I made cut out the repair, glass sprung back in shape and I glassed it back nice and round the way it should be. Clamped hose and it was good til I pulled it from service this year.
You can crank down a pretty good amount on the glass without crush sleeves.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Just back on line John. Call me whenever

I can pm you my number
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"