Gluing nautolex to coosa

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Gluing nautolex to coosa

Post by pschauss »

I have replaced a section of my cabin sole with coosa. I tried gluing Nautolex to it using their #88 adhesive following the instructions on the can but the Nautolex wrinkled when the glue dried. I tried again on a left over scrap of coosa using 3m yellow super trim adhesive (spray) and the same thing happened.

Do I need to prime the coosa first?

Is there a better adhesive for this application?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Stephan

Re: Gluing nautolex to coosa

Post by Stephan »

Peter-
The little bit of work with Coosa (actually Baltek Airex PXc Board https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... o?pid=1593 )that I have done has been with a fiberglass skin on it.
I have seen epoxy with colloidal silica and also West System G-Flex (https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... o?pid=8694) to glue it in place. These were instances where it was being used to replace balsa coring and might not be on target for you application.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Peter, I can't help with your question but I'd love to stop by and check out the work you're doing sometime.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Happy to show it. My boat is at the Nicholls Point Marina (next to the Snapper Inn). I will pm my phone number so that we can set up a time.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I have a feeling that the glue is not sticking to the coosa. Try roughing up a piece first. Not sure how well it will come off if it does stick. If it does stick, it might not come off that well. Worse case you might have to sand and fair the coosa should you ever remove the nautilex.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

On second thought on a scrap piece try putting some glass on it, then sand that and see if it sticks.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

When I covered items in Natolex some years ago it was to marine ply for the deck. Anyway, I glued...but stretched tight and secured with monel staples all around the underside. I wonder if glues shrinking and pulling the material as it dries.
I'm not sure if you can staple coosa...but you should be able to clamp all around or maybe a few statistically places screws holding down some strips to hold it all till dried.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

You are right, it has been a long time for me. But you fold the material over the sides and staple it underneath with monel staples. Coosa will hold staples. But the Nautelex should not shrink.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brandon33

Post by Brandon33 »

90% sure the surface has to be sealed first. Probably just give your test piece a couple coats of whatever resin you have handy and test it again.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I tried again on my test piece, using the same scrap of Nautolex. This time I applied three coats of the 3m adhesive and let it dry for 10-15 minutes. It has been sitting for more than 24 hours now and no wrinkles so far. The only disadvantage to using the 3m product is that it is next to impossible to reposition the Nautolex once the two surfaces make contact.

I suspect that the leftover glue on the Coosa has acted as a sealant for the surface.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Did u coat the entire area with the adhesive or just a test area? Coosa has a very fibrous surface and needs to be sealed with epoxy to hold paint,I know the hard way. Try a sample spot, roll on with a paint roller a coat of epoxy, lay the nautilex on top, stretch as tight as possible,epoxy is a great glue, vacumn bag if possible . Recently saw Coosa company rep at a marine trade show in Tampa, maybe contact them!
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I removed the wrinkled Nautolex from a section of the cabin sole and applied new material using the 3M yellow super trip adhesive. This time I applied three coats to the Coosa and to the Nautolex and allowed it to dry about fifteen minutes. I end up with a much more acceptable result. With three coats on the Coosa and the Nautolex plus the extra time to dry, the Nautolex immediately sticks firmly EXACTLY where you put it so you need to have it aligned perfectly when you start to lay it down. Also, this stuff is very sensitive to imperfections in the surface.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou