Documentation measurements

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrhaszard

Documentation measurements

Post by jrhaszard »

Having a bit of conflict with USCG Vessel Documentation Center folks. I noticed the length and tonnage on the Documentation certificate are for a B28 not a 31 FBC. Apparently been that way for an undetermined amount of time. They say since 1980 when it was built. I don't believe that but it's their game. The hull and IMO numbers are correct and hull numbers on the boat match.
In order to clear this up, they want a new application (plus more money) with measurements. Since the boat is in the water, I can't measure all. Would anyone have numbers for overall : length; breadth; and depth in feet and inches not including swim platform or rub rail.I am guessing tonnage is 15 tons.
Any help is appreciated.
John
BERG1847M80F
Ernie Sandoval

Re: Documentation measurements

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Hello, my Documentation numbers for 1986 FBC are as follows: Gross tonnage 11 GRT, Net tonnage 9 NRT, Length 30.6, Breadth 11.2, Depth 5.1. I wonder if the depth counts the props on shaft!?
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Depth isn't the same as draft. Your draft is roughly 3' 2"

Depth is:

"the vertical distance taken at or near amidships from a line drawn horizontally through the uppermost edges of the skin (outside planking or plating) at the sides of the hull (excluding the cap rail, trunks, cabins and deckhouses, and deck caps) to the outboard face of the bottom skin of the hull, excluding the keel. If the vessel is designed for sailing and the interface between the "keel" and the "bottom skin of the hull" is not at a clearly defined location (as is the case with an "integral" or "faired" keel), include the keel in the depth measurement."

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO% ... 070703-783
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

Thank you guys
That is precisely what I needed. Forms are on their way to Falling Waters, West Virginia
BERG1847M80F
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

As Mike points out USCG doesn't care how much water our boats draw. They are looking for the "gross tonnage", essentially the cargo or passenger carrying capacity which is how they base most of their regulations. I made the same mistake a couple years ago which is embarrassing since I have my-------100 ton license!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

You learn something everyday!! Thanks!!
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686