veranda pvc

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

QUOTA2

veranda pvc

Post by QUOTA2 »

Has anyone used Veranda PVC boards vs Starboard for cockpit panels?. Veranda says it's waterproof, no rot and can be painted just not sure how strong it would be.
CamB25

Re: veranda pvc

Post by CamB25 »

Pros:
- very lightweight
- easy to cold form
- paintable
- relatively cheap

Cons:
- very brittle
- don't hold fasteners well in my opinion
- "flimsy"

I used the PVC for helm seat bottom and back pans, then pulled them off and re-made the parts from starboard. Also played around with PVC for coaming pad backers, but I will probably go with starboard or the lighter version when the time comes.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Mark

Post by Mark »

I find PVC more brittle and if any cut edges are exposed, they are porous and will hold dirt that will eventually grow mold. Not to mention PVC is probably the most toxic material to us and the environment. Definitely don't use inside closed in areas if you or any children plan on spending any time there. I'm trying to use it less and less where I can find an alternative.

Bob Lico mentioned on another post about pre-made fiberglass sheets that are pre-finished. Not sure the cost compared to PVC or Starboard.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Brandon33

Post by Brandon33 »

It is waterproof, won’t rot etc but it’s nowhere near on the same level as starboard. It can only be painted white or very light colors or it will turn into a wet noodle in the sun. It dents and gouges pretty easily and any cut edge is super porous but it does sand pretty easily. Id say it’s useful if your cut edges aren’t visible and if it’s not in an area that gets a lot of wear. I use it a lot on houses when people want “maintenance free” solutions and honestly I try to steer them away from it as much as possible since it moves so much once it bakes in the sun, has to be fastened every 12” or else.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Brandon - Good point about shrinkage and expansion depending temp. Have to fasten every 12” into something solid and use glue at joints that basically melts pvc. I believe the shrink/expansion rate is about 1-2 inches over 10 ft span.

Mark
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Actually a several of the members have used Azak for the s use paanelsx in the cockpit and for the engine panels in the companion way.

I would check with a lumber yard for their thoughts on the difference between Veranda and Azak.

You are probably going to need a 4 x 10 piece which is special order. I know home Depot carries both Veranda and Azak but I have only seen 4 x 8 sheets in home depot.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Use komacel for that application, so much better than either of the other boards being discussed

Of course if you can get prefinished fiberglass panels that would be good as well but not as easy to get nor as easy to cut

You can get 10’ komacel boards , you get 2 panels out of one board and need a second board for the other. End up with a nice scrap piece

You get it from a local sign supplier or ask a sign shop
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Quota2,
What ever you use you will need a piece for the transom that is at least 105 " long to allow for the curve of the transom . When I was building boats we had a 10' x 5' lay up table with a glass top that was 3/8" thick. We also had a chopper gun that we used for small parts. I had the guys lay up 2 sheets that were 8' x 4' long and 2 sheets 10'x 4' , gel coated one side (smooth side) and left the backs unfinished . The 2 sheets cut in half gave me the side panels for true cockpit and the remainder gave me the transom section cut in half and the other pieces were used to replace the cabin overhead , head over head and side panel along the dinette area and small left overs were used for inside the hanging lockers and galley cabinet. I made them about 3/8 " thick with the gel coated surface. I didn't do the V berth overhead because it didn't need to be redone. If you know anyone in the boat building business ask if they will make up the panels for you. IU replaced just about all the old plywood and Formica panels throughout the entire boat. I also made a section cockpit sole and filler pieces between the engine boxes I had a 1961 express cruiser. If you can't find anyone to build during the winter months use Aztec , starboard is much to heavy and won't paint well. I originally did the cockpit panels with Formica covered 3/8" plywood back in 1978 when I got the boat they lasted about 10 years before they started to delaminate and rot at the bottoms.
Good luck with what ever you use.
Pete Fallon
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

If you can’t find a sample of komacel local give your address I’ll send you a piece , guarantee when you see it you will not want to use Adak or god forbid starboard
Mark

Post by Mark »

Raybo - Is Komacel compressed tighter than Azek? Komacel and Azek are both made of PVC so wondering what makes them different?

Mark
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Raybo

Is Komacdl rigid enough to support a hatch that can be open and closed for storage?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315