Bertram 31 carrying capacity

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Bertram 31 carrying capacity

Post by Amberjack »

Recent natural disasters got me thinking how my capacity to respond in an event. We don't see hurricanes this far north but if one of the Washington State Ferries went down with 2,000+ POB it would be a small boat rescue operation as was the Miracle on the Hudson. There isn't enough Coast Guard, Fire Department and SPD capacity to handle that many people and the WSF ferries do not have lifeboats, only life jackets so people would be in the 55 F water. So how many people could a B31 carry before the scuppers are awash? What is the maximum number of passengers anyone on the board has carried?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Bertram 31 carrying capacity

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've been on them with 12, and no problem unless they're all standing around in the stern..

In an emergency, if you stuff a few people as far forward as possible, probably upwards of 20 or 25..
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I would think depending on how you load the boat Mike is right. Instruct everyone to stray in place and not move. I bet you could vvlo we to 20 people kneeling down on the deck.

Move as many as you can forward and balance out the weight.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

Interesting question I was wondering the other day. With people you can distribute them so I Bet you could hold a lot especially in an emergency but the other day we went overnight for a tuna trip and I was concerned about weight as we were loaded very stern heavy.

In addition to the full tank of diesel which is located aft, we had a 40 gallon bait tank full, about 400lbs of ice on the deck, 5 guys, and then add 500lbs of fish. If you convert that weight to people I’d say you max is 10 people. I found my stern was sitting pretty low and the scuppers were only a couple inches out of the water. But I believe as the boat bobs, water gets in through the scuppers and into the bilge. As far as I can tell the deck isn’t sealed against the transom so water can deep down through there.
neil

Post by neil »

A lot more than you think,on my wedding night my brother drove my 25 home with 22 on one engine so I think our 31 with two Cummins ,just keep it in gear
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cruising in calm water at least 25 no problem.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Amberjack,
Back in 1980 I had 20 Adults and a 8' FRP dinghy on the forward deck going and coming from Marblehead to Boston Harbor to see the tall ships boat parade. Yes, I had enough life jackets for everyone aboard. Another time after a good day of tuna fishing at the Cape Ann Tuna Club dock, there were 18 people sitting around the cockpit covering boards when I noticed the aft bilge pump idiot light on the inner cockpit transom was coming on and off, had a few people move forward and then used the ice shovel to get all the empty beer cans out of the cockpit. They were all owners of larger than Bertram 31 Express boats but I had the largest cockpit of all. They were all great fishermen but lousy shots at throwing cans into a 35 plastic drum on the rear of the engine box to port. I would estimate that a 31 could hold at least 28 to 30 evenly distributed around the vessel before you started to get the scuppers under water.
Pete Fallon
captbone

Post by captbone »

A life or death situation, I bet you could get 40-50 people on a 31 Bertram and keep it afloat.

The key would be to get as many people as possible forward to keep the scuppers up. The bow would be down and she would be un-driveable but she will stay afloat.

It wouldnt be pretty and may cause some damage but I think it could be done.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

These numbers are about in my range of thinking and it is good to have thought through the process before any situation.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Great to pull a bunch of people from the water...but overload the boat too much and they may wind up back there again.

Hopefully we never have to put this to the test.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Lots of things to consider that goes to that number: Current load (fuel, gear, etc), fresh water vs saltwater event, sea conditions, are you transporting back to port (possibly navigating a not so friendly inlet) or just providing temporary boarding, and probably the toughest...is when you get to that number and you have to say no to people that are still in the water. Obviously save as many as you can safely but hope to never be on either side of this equation!!!

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Hmmm, I've been thinking from in the boat looking down. Never considered I could be in the water looking up (...and thinking "Wait a minute, I know that boat can hold 3 more people!".

Boat capacity of course depends on conditions and intent--just getting people out of the water vs transporting them somewhere. But it seems as though 20-25 is the baseline number with capacity going up from there if the goal is to rescue in place and the conditions are calm. 40-50 does seem high enough to potentially to roll the boat even if carefully distributed.

Anyhow, enough said. Back to worrying about the finish on the cabin sole.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820