Hydraulic steering question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tooeez

Hydraulic steering question

Post by Tooeez »

The Teleflex cable steering helm unit on my 28 flybridge cruiser is telling me that after 40 years its' life is about over. Does anyone have recommendations about the best hydraulic system to replace it with? The boat is single station with gas engines.
Tony Meola

Re: Hydraulic steering question

Post by Tony Meola »

Sea Star is the most popular. I have Sea Star in my 31. Works fine. In 10 years, I had one problem and that was the cylinder freezing up on me over the winter. Had to put in a new cylinder.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Thumbs up on the Seastar
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

Seastar beats hynautic in cost, simplicity to order, buy, install, setup and upkeep.
I have hynautic...only because thats what boat had. Install Seastar in dad...super simple.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i gave away at least three hynatic steering systems over the years and have nothing left however if your life depends on the steering of your 31 Bertram has to ride in the trough of 10 to 12 foot waves then i have the solution and yes it is on my boat and flawless for 15 years.same steering as indy race car but all 316 stainless including the hydralic cylinder, 316 SS left and right roller bearing Hein joints turn on your own lergth at 26 knots .pm me if you need this kind of sterring.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Bob, thanks but I think the race car steering is overkill for me. I will check out the Seastar--thanks for the input everybody!