STERN BILGE PUMP

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

STERN BILGE PUMP

Post by THESALTYSATO »

I have a 31 Bert with 3 bilge pumps. The middle and bow discharge the bilge water high above the water line. The stern discharge is in the boot stripe at water level on the port side. The other day I heard a bilge pump come on at the dock before I left the dock which is very unusual. When idling I heard my bow bilge pump coming on frequently which is unusual as I have a dry boat. Also the boat is kept on a lift. I returned to the dock put the boat on the lift deciding that I would let the hull dry overnight and then wait until the next day to see if i could see any moisture on the light blue bottom paint possibly around a thru hull . The hull was dry the next day . I put the boat in the water and I surveyed and checked my sea cocks (5) individually - no leaks . Also ran my engines at the dock and could could not find any hose leaks around the engines as to why my bilge was getting water in it. I left the boat in the water for about an hour and I could see the water level rise in the stern and the stern bilge would come on . Finally I decided to put the garden hose into the discharge hole at the water line for my stern bilge pump and noticed water coming into the bilge . I removed the hose and the pump came on and a fair amount of small paint chips and dirty water pumped out. I did this again and clean water came out . I then added water to the bilge and the pump came on again and the discharge water was clear. I let the boat sit in the water about an hour and none of the bilge pumps came on . Then I decided to take a short ride and kept an eye on the stern an no water came in and the pump of course did not run. I have several questions. First are most stern discharges at the water level(boot stripe) on Bert 31's . Second question is- my back flow check valve is a good size brass one (can not find a name on it). When I ran the water back in under pressure with the garden hose, did that clean it out where I should not have any future problems. Third in the back flow brass check valve I assume it is a brass ball and keeps the water from backing up into the bilge or is it some type of flapper and the material that can be cleaned and serviced or do you just replace the whole check valve. The whole valve is about 6 inches long and has a brass 90 degree turn with a short rubber hose to attach to the bilge pump. Did I do a permanent fix or If what I did was a quick fix. Do I need to replace the existing brass back flow check valve. Where do you find one of this quality and not a plastic on made in China that will probably fail in a few years and I end up with a sinking boat.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: STERN BILGE PUMP

Post by mike ohlstein »

My pump outlets are high up. Nowhere near the boot stripe.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Is there no way to route the discharge hose up above the water line so that it routes up into a high bend before going down to the bilge?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

Its nice to have outlet low, less obtrusive and requires less head pressure to discharge.

But- - I'd mount high and not have to deal with check valves, or hoses and fittings gone bad at the worst time.
Its bad enough if your pump can't pump out...but if you started taking water IN instead of discharging, that is a real problem.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

All of the 31's from the factory had the stern pump exiting a few inches below the rub rail I have to guess mine is about 18 inches above the chine. Was your boat ever repainted or can you tell if any glass work was ever done on it? I would have to guess that someone did that to do as Carl said reduce head pressure and allow it to pump more water.

I suspect the check valve was stuck open and water was getting in that way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Tony -yes the boat was repainted in 2002 but I do not know if any glass work on the hull was done at that time. Although most likely was changed then as you said they came from the factory just below the rub rail. My thought is to put a new hose from the thru hull to the check valve and put a slight upward bend upward above the water line. Then maybe at a later date have it glassed over and add a higher discharge or as you say just below the rub rail. It is interesting that someone along the way decided to put it in the boot stripe. As they say --"It"s always something". thanks for yours and others comments
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Saltysato,
Like Carl and Tony said the original from the factory rear bilge pump outlets were just below the rub rail on the starboard stern just forward of the transom curve. The discharge hose was routed outboard of the cockpit sole then up along the stern cleat where the glassed in rib that the stern cleat wood( oak) is screwed into, with a loop just below the gunnel . The check valve in your bilge line is more than likely full of old debris. What size is the rear bilge pump, I always recommended at least a 2000 gph rear pump and a float switch with a high water alarm mounted to the lowest point on the inside stringer, I had a white light on the transom inside trim board just below the fiberglass covering board that would come on when the pump was operating. The 31 Bertram sits bow down when at rest at the dock or on a mooring, the forward bilge pump discharges about 18 " above the waterline on the Port side, the 3rd midship pump was an add on by the past owners, mine was a 2200 gph Johnson Pump with a optima float switch( all 3 bilge pumps were 2200 gph Johnson pumps with float switches). The midship pump discharged just aft of the main bulkhead foreword of the engine,2 or 3" below the rub rail, no check valves on any of the pumps and the hoses were all 1" white sanitation hose smooth bore interior double clamped at both ends. I also had a 3500 gph Rule trash pump that supplied my salt water wash downs and both 40 gallon oval live wells with cushions on top just aft of the engine boxes. That pump had a Y valve on the intake line above the sea cock that could be used as a 4th bilge pump if needed.
If you had to use that pump you were in deep trouble.
Pete Fallon
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Pete,
Thanks for your comments and information. I do not know the size of the stern bilge pump but I will look my next trip to the coast. If it is not 2000 gph I agree with you it ought to be changed as you suggested. Also I like the idea of a light coming on when the pump is activated. As i get older i do not hear so well and a light is a good idea
I had already purchased a high water alarm which is on my list to install.
Hope all is going well for you and your knee. We all kept up with you and all of the problems you had . Too many for one person to endure. Hopefully it is finally over and you have a pain free knee and are able to enjoy doing things again. Again thanks for the suggestions.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If the boat was repainted, then I would put money on it that it was changed then. I like it high, for two reasons, no need to worry about water backing up and helping sink the boat, and I like to see how much water pumps out when I put her up on a plane. I always look back from time to time when I am running to make sure I am not pumping water.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315