Sterndrive steering advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ttownthomas

Sterndrive steering advice

Post by Ttownthomas »

I know only smaller Bertram’s were built with sterndrives. On my b25 i’m wrapping up the engine refurb and will move on to steering next. She has original looking mechanical steering with a very leaky power steering system run off the stbd engine. How should a properly functioning system feel? Assuming replacement I’m researching mechanical, mechanical with power steering and hydraulic. What do I need to know?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Sterndrive steering advice

Post by mike ohlstein »

Power steering should feel like your car.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I had sea-star hydraulic steering on my boat when I had I/Os. The system worked great, I never ran the boat with the original power steering system so I don't have anything to compare it to performance wise. The ram goes on the starboard motor pinched by the 2 large bolts and attaches to the tiller inside and a tie-bar goes between the 2 motors.

I took the ram and tie-bar off when I took out the I/Os and planned on selling sometime in the future. As a fellow Bertram owner, would be willing to sell them at a good deal for you, to complete the system you would need a new helm pump and hoses. I want to keep my helm pump and hoses for my outboard.

I think the ram goes for over $500 new and tiebar around $150. make me an offer of what you think is reasonable, both are used but in good working condition.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

It attaches where? To the aft motor mounting bolts on the stbd motor? Any chance you have part numbers?
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

The ram is HC5332 model # BA135-7EM it is the stronger ram designed to be used without power steering. I have no idea what mfg or part number on the tie-bar.

This is not a great pic for what you want showing how it installs in the boat but the best I could find....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3mXRH2NSW9jbm2m6

I had the port motor out because of a coupler issue and if you look at the transom assembly you can see the tie-bar attached to the tiller on the slaved motor. The red arrow is pointing to the 2 large bolts (removed so tie bar could pass through) that would normally hold the ram for the power steering. In the pic of the hydraulic ram below the 2 large bolts go through the black piece on the end of the shaft and the tiller attaches with the bolt at the center of the ram.
hydraulic ram https://photos.app.goo.gl/DP4QNFr1chcKeDMU6

the tie-bar is stainless steel and has ends that are kind of like tie rod ends of a car
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bXdzdMhRyAADG54X6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i25C6eYkVGYD2Bk8A
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Oh. You had alpha I drives. I have MR-1's. They appear to have different setups. Do you still have your drives and transom assemblies?
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I sold the engines as a complete package.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I have dual stations and sea star hydraulic. Love it!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Marks. Do you have power steering or full hydraulic?
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Full hydraulic

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Good to hear. Thats the route IM going! Do you still have MC-1 Drives? If so is there any way to get a picture of how the ram is installed? Or at least tell me what side it is installed on?
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

The ram is mounted in the center of the drives and controls come off of both sides. I tried to take a picture but it’s not very revealing.

Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Is the ram mounted to the transom or to the mounting loops in the MC-1 inner transom assemblies?

What model number is on the ram?

Sorry for all the questions.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

I have removed the power steering from my MC-1 drives and am planning to upgrade to seastar hydraulic non-power assist. The diagrams in the seastar installation manual are lacking detail. Sorry if this is simple stuff I'm just having a hard time figuring out how sea-star intends for me to set it up.

Its ram model number BA125-8EMV

Bottom of page 16 here: http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-cont ... 43319L.pdf

I have loops on my transom assemblies and the original cable tubes so attachment points should not be an issue. At first I assumed the ram would mount to the stbd drive but I don't think there is not enough clearance on the outboard side of that drive with the way the transom curves back in. To put the ram on the port side I would have to fabricate an arm to hook around my upper bellows to reach the port tiller and then use the tie bar to connect them.

I'm trying to find a picture or description of a Bertram 25 with this setup to see how its done.
Last edited by Ttownthomas on Aug 4th, '19, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Lars

Post by Lars »

If you are installing hydraulic steering now, I would consider routing in a pump for autopilot while you are at it. A good autopilot makes life so much more pleasant for long straight stretches.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Bruce wrote:Image
Yes, this is the drawing I referenced in the above PDF. But does that get installed on the port or the starboard side Drive?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It would come in from the stb side on the stb drive.
Ttownthomas

Post by Ttownthomas »

Bruce wrote:It would come in from the stb side on the stb drive.
That is what I assumed originally but after measuring it does not seem that there is enough space stbd of stbd Drive for the ram and the extended shaft to fit. I was hoping someone could confirm if this application works on the bertram 25