Cockpit size

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ljmauricio

Cockpit size

Post by ljmauricio »

Is the cockpit size the same in the Express as in the FBC?
PeterPalmieri

Re: Cockpit size

Post by PeterPalmieri »

yes
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I believe the cockpit is 110 square feet.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Yes and no. While the actual cockpit is the same there is more usable space in the Express-Bahia Mar since there is no step down between the engine boxes and there is space forward of the engine boxes for gear/fish bags and such. I added seats from Nautical Design that flip flop to face backwards so that every body is in on watching the trolled baits and action
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Got it. Thanks
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

The express has a little more area than the FBC , the step down between the engine boxes is forward of the center hatch , it's not much but it adds another 3 running feet of cockpit sole. Also depending on the year of the express the early model engine boxes are about 8"' shorter than the lift back style these are with the old style 2 piece engine box covers. About 111 SQ Feet.
Pete Fallon
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete Fallon wrote: Also depending on the year of the express the early model engine boxes are about 8"' shorter than the lift back style these are with the old style 2 piece engine box covers. About 111 SQ Feet.
Pete Fallon

That explains why I am so snug to the deck with tranny and motor.

As I told the gent helping me...they will fit I have grinders and sawzalls, they will fit.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok..so from what read and using the picture of the express below the only difference I see (without taking out a ruler and measuring) is that small section right at back of engine boxes which only looks like 18 inches or so. Then it drops down the the cabin entrance. With a helm chair in place like below, seems like it could be little dicey to get to main deck in rough wether. Or even just making a misstep to the side and you have a big drop. I like the concept of the express and given that I'm getting older and may do some amount of inshore trolling etc with the spouse, nice to get to where you need to quickly. Do you express guys find it easy to make that step in rough weather?

Thanks.
Mark B
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Carl

Post by Carl »

First that is not a stock Express. Motor boxes are not hinged to the deck.
I believe Express box is a bit longer too...hard to tell with that helm station protruding back, standard the wheel is mounted to bulkhead, controls and gauges on dash in front of window...and the large chair base. Might be about the same...configured different.
Express boxs do however have two access hatches on the top. Those are hinged for a quick look inside or removal.

To the steps....

I am going to explain going the other way. From the galley you walk out onto a hatch that is maybe 16x16"' then there is one mid step up at 6" x 16" and finally up to the companionway hatch you see that is at cockpit height.

In and out of cabin is a non issue being done in two steps.

Stepping up on motor boxes is a larger tougher challenge for some. Also one needs to remember from the motor boxes, it's a good ways down. It becomes 2nd nature very quick.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Also one needs to remember from the motor boxes, it's a good ways down. It becomes 2nd nature very quick.[/quote]

...until one day you forget. Several years ago my wife wound up with two badly smashed ribs when she fell between the engine boxes while getting the boat ready to dock.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amberjack wrote: ...until one day you forget. Several years ago my wife wound up with two badly smashed ribs when she fell between the engine boxes while getting the boat ready to dock.
Oh...thats gotta hurt. Sorry to hear that.

Boats and water can be fun...can be dangerous too.
Does not take much to turn a good day into a bad one.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Amberjack wrote:Also one needs to remember from the motor boxes, it's a good ways down. It becomes 2nd nature very quick.
...until one day you forget. Several years ago my wife wound up with two badly smashed ribs when she fell between the engine boxes while getting the boat ready to dock.[/quote]

One of my concerns definitely.

Carl - Thanks for the measurements. Some picks below of the steps between the boxes as you described. This boat, as you indicated, is different from stock. Boxes are about 55" from bulkhead to back of box. The first step is about 26.5" and the 2nd step about 36" from the bulkhead respectively. The chair is even with the top step so you have to swing around the chair a bit to to land on upper deck. Doable for sure but...

Back of Box

Step View

Transom to Back of Box Length

Thanks.
Mark B
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I also have an express I have the longer Cabrerra engine boxes. My hatch between the engine goes about a foot from the door where there is a step down into the doorway I have a pretty good size area under the hatch which I keep a cooler
Mark

Post by Mark »

Anthony wrote:I also have an express I have the longer Cabrerra engine boxes. My hatch between the engine goes about a foot from the door where there is a step down into the doorway I have a pretty good size area under the hatch which I keep a cooler
Anthony - More room and bigger area for deck level step down off the boxes, nice!

Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes your hinged hatch is a little shorter then mine...its also even with back of motor box.
Your bottom step is a bit longer...

Same basic setup except getting to the helm. Not sure about swinging around the chair...but mostly as Its not usual to me.

When docking...leaving the spring is the last line off while I hold boat...make sure rest of lines are off...people in there spots, no boats coming or going...
If all good, It s step on gunnel, step on Port motor box, over to the helm box, into reverse and gone. The opposite when leaving.

Can't say I have ever had an issue, nor my wife or kids.

As to walking in and out of the cabin in seas...it's not a problem.
Boat is very stable in that area even in harsh sea's...tall motor boxs on the sides guide you along.
Running the boats easy to stand and walk...

Drifting and trolling beam to the sea....the rocking is a bit of a different story.
LAtCH everything down and walking without walking into things is a task.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Does anyone know where I can get a set of engine box hinges like the one's in Mark's pictures?

Thanks.

JR
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mike - Thanks for picking me up. I was going to have to do some research myself to answer Jack's question.

Jack - Pics were from a boat that is for sale up he in NJ so I have very limited info.

Mark
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The boat you are referencing is the Konoa. It was originally refurbished by L&H and I believe has been Repainted since then. The engine bay is huge with the 4bt Cummins. It is a great example of what can be done with the express hulls. Probably number one express on the east coast.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Mark

Post by Mark »

JP - Nice for sure. Just not sure about those 4BTA-250hp with 2000+ hours and the vibrations that come with it. Also most of work done in 1999 so already 20 yrs old including aluminum tank , wiring etc. Definitely a nice looking express.

Mark