Filling the fresh water tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Filling the fresh water tank

Post by pschauss »

On my boat, it looks like the only way to fill the fresh water tank is to pull up the aft section of the cabin sole, unscrew the cap, and fill it directly. The only fittings that I see on the deck are for filling the gas tank and pumping out the holding tank. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
PeterPalmieri

Re: Filling the fresh water tank

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That’s how I do it.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Peter and Peter,
Old school for sure, but direct fill is the only way I’ve seen on original models.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If there are no other fittings or hoses going to the tank then that is the way...but I guess you knew that already.

You could always run your own line installing a water fill on the gunnel. But a little secret...if you do not install a water fill on the gunnel there becomes ZERO chance you will ever make a mistake and fill your fuel tank with water.

Laugh...but it happens.

Don't tell anyone as it's kind of embarrassing...but on my last boat I was too busy conversing at the gas dock and started pumping gas into my pole holder. Almost kinda lucky as it flowed right onto my leg...I heard of people that pumped a bunch into the bilge.
Stupid stupid mistake, but as I said it happens when your not paying attention.
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Ours was plumbed to that fitting on the the tank from a deck fill located a ways up the side, outside the window to the head - looks factory original. Far enough from fuel as to not be possible to confuse - you have to walk along cabin side to get to.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

I ran mine up a short distance just to the left of the helm station with the fitting on the floor on my Bahia Mar. Works well and no chance of mistaking it. Easier then pulling hatches to fill. Also add RV water treatment from wal mart. 1 ounce to 20 gallons to keep water fresh. Not for drinking of course.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have fresh water to the head so i use more water than a nnormal 31. i drilled an installed a 1/2" vent hose and a 5/8" fill hose to tank than ran both lines to forward cockpit hatch with a male hose bib on water intake. i fill until water comes out the vent hose to tell me tank is filled. dragging a hose into cabin is a no-no.
Last edited by bob lico on Jul 10th, '19, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Is there supposed to be a drain plug somewhere on the tank so that I can get the water out in the fall?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Post by Carl »

I let mine pump till no water left, kill power, add RV non-toxic antifreeze, turn on power and let each faucet go till it pumps red then button up boat till spring.
In the Spring I let the red pump out, fill with fresh letting pump go till waters clear and fresh.

For what its worth...I have a fill hose that I pull out from under a hatch to fill the tank.
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Drain plug on ours is in center of aft most lower side of tank. Still leaves just a bit in it, so we use water system anti-freeze to be safe.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I follow the same procedure as Carl,
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine is a pipe plug in the bottom of the rear wall of the tank. I added a Tee so that I could have freshwater washdown out of it. Fills from the top.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

The old 18 gallon 31 tanks only had a screw fill on the top and a top of tank vent line. It's fairly easy to add a deck fill just don't put it on the same side as the fuel fill. Run a 1-1/2" white sanitation hose from the gunnel near the dinette rear seat under the cockpit supports into the tank, the existing vent on the tank should be sufficient for venting and overflow. I used an Acorn brand water deck fill push down and unscrew style marked for water, no tools needed. I Replaced the old 18 gallon FRP tank with larger 25 gallon poly tank with a tee fitting off the bottom for fresh water wash down system in the cockpit, a 12v Shurflo 3.5 gpm pump has enough pressure for washing down reels with fresh water at the end of the day. Use pink anti freeze when winterizing you fresh water system. I also replaced the old hand pump style spigots at the galley sink and head sink with a stainless steel single shut off faucet. So you can have pressure water in the galley, head and cockpit with just a 12 volt pump.
Pete Fallon