What is this?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

What is this?

Post by pschauss »

I found this in the fuel line which runs from my tank to the fuel pump about midway along the passage between the two engines.

I assume that it is a filter/water separator as it seems to have a provision on the bottom for draining it. Is it redundant, since I have the spin-on fuel filters next to my fuel pumps.? What sort of maintenance do I need to do on it?

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/48835524

thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Re: What is this?

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Looks like some one put a cartridge filter of some type in the line. I would open it up send if there is a filter in it I would pull it out. Put the cap back on and close it up. Make sure it doe's not leak.

To replace it would mean running a new line. What type of shape is the cannister in?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hard to tell from picture, but as its in the fuel line I'd say fuel filter or a valve.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I was hoping that someone would recognize it as a 70's vintage standard part.

The exterior looks seriously corroded so I will try soaking it with Croil before I attempt to unscrew the top. If I have to apply any serious amount of force to remove the top, I will have to immobilize the body of the unit which is a risk. I believe that this section of the fuel line slightly below the top of the fuel tank so I will need to isolate it before I start messing with it.

Thanks for you comments.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Here it is from a different angle. Sorry that it is not in better focus

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/48838394
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Just found one on Ebay. It was made by Perko - part number 715B.

FWIW, it's only the feed for my port engine. Apparently the one on the starboard side was removed when the previous owner's mechanic replaced the fuel line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perko-Marine-F ... SwKH5al0NW
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Peter,

Given the two different levels of the hoses, the bottom drain and the shape, it looks to me as a very old water trap.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Huh...old fuel filter.

Nice heavy duty design...far from what Perko seems to put out these days.

As to maintenance...that is a robust unit, stone filter will do a heck of a job filtering but my concern with a stone filter is the amount of surface area. Filters we use now are cheap pleated fabric like material. While not as robust, those pleats add a lot of surface to catch contaminants before clogging.

Nice to have a drain to remove water quick...but if it were me. I'd remove from the line and stick with a single quality spin on and keep spare filter elements on hand, over having two separate in line filters. The exception might be if element was a very course element...but even then I like simple.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Carl wrote:Huh...old fuel filter.

...but if it were me. I'd remove from the line and stick with a single quality spin on and keep spare filter elements on hand, over having two separate in line filters. The exception might be if element was a very course element...but even then I like simple.
I am starting to have the same idea. Since this is the port engine with the fuel pump and spin-on filter on the inboard side, replacing the line all the way back to the tank should be a pretty simple task. I will add that to my growing list of projects.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I am thinking about bypassing this filter with a new fuel line going directly from the pickup at the tank to the modern filter which is next to the fuel pump. Should I just buy the hose for it and install the end fittings myself or have something custom made with the fittings installed?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou