Master volt P/N conversion

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jhaszard

Master volt P/N conversion

Post by Jhaszard »

I Have isolated the problem with the genset to the injector pump. The P/N is: K-50202160. I am trying to source the part locally from a Kubota dealer but they need a Kubota P/N. The set is a Mastervolt 3.5, 3600 RPM with a single cylinder Kubota Diesel engine. I can't find a Kubota number on the block and don't want to pull the set from the boat to look for it. I have the illustrated Parts Catalogue but can't find a conversion. The price is 887 Euros. About $1,000.00 US or one Aviation Monetary Unit.
Does anyone know how to find a Kubota number for that assembly? I could even have it repaired in Richmond but they want a number first.
The valves are free, although a little loose, the glow plug works, there is fuel from the electric pump to the injector pump, but no firing. I can shoot a little ether to it and it pops over so I know there is compression. I even tried to start with raw water intake closed with no luck.

Can anyone please offer any insight as I want to fix it but know it will be much cheaper from the local Kubota dealer.
ALSO, would a new pump need to be calibrated and/or indexed? Single cylinder installation.
Thanks much friends. John
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Master volt P/N conversion

Post by Bruce »

John,
That injector pump is a plunger style not gear so it doesn't have to be indexed. The timing is controlled by metal shims of which it may have none. just use whats there.

Doubt possibly that Kubota would have the pump, many of those parts are considered proprietary and sold only thru the oem/mastervolt system. All the gen set oems I represented over the years all those parts were only available thru the gen set company and not the engine company. Now when I took them into my injector shop for repair, somehow he was able to get parts from the actual injector pump maker rather than thru the gen set company as they only sold new pumps. Saved customers a ton of money over the years.

Here is a dealer in Annapolis that might be able to rebuild or let you know where to go. http://www.jgordonco.com/complete-marin ... ealerships

I couldn't cross that number to anything. Find out from mastervolt who the inj pump maker is.

Bruce
Jhaszard

Post by Jhaszard »

Bruce
Thanks so much for that information. I called Superior Diesel in Richmond but they wanted the Kubota number. I will give the guy in Annapolis a shout. I was not looking forward to yanking that genset. Eventhough it is a little package, it still weighs 250 pounds.
94 degrees in the shade here today with high humidity. Think I will take the rest of the day off.
My best Independence Day wishes to all of you, my fellow American Patriots.
John Haszard
Jhaszard

Post by Jhaszard »

Made some progress in today's incredible humidity. Neighbor was a Kubota dealer until recently. He said to look under the valve cover and I did. The digits 4761 were embossed in the casting. Tomorrow I will persue that. The shop in Annapolis was closed early Bruce. I will check tomorrow with them.
Next broken/inop item is the 10,000 btu Cruisair A/C raw water pump. I will replace it if I can find the sucker. Any ideas on that? There is a lot of stuff jammed into this little boat in out of the way places. Hard to get to.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Many of those ac pumps are magnetic drive.
Motor spins a magnet which spins a glass reinforce finger impeller in a seperate housing.

Pull the cover, the impeller many times locks up. They must have water to work.

If you've ever seen a Glass beaker in a lab with a spinner in the bottom to mix. Same principle.
Jhaszard

Post by Jhaszard »

I have had old airplanes with magnetic drive tachometers. locating this pump is the issue. Backtracking the hoses from the A/C unit ( located between the vee berths) gets complicated. They run aft amidships and seem to disappear into hidden regions. Guess I will have to remove panels, etc.
Thanks Bruce
Jhaszard

Post by Jhaszard »

Talked to Bobby at the Kubota industrial shop in South Carolina. He sent me the exploded parts diagram with the Kubota part numbers. A Kubota injector pump is $478.00 versus over a grand from Mastervolt. Next step now that I have the part number is to see if the diesel guys in Richmond can renew this injector pump now that I have the correct part numbers. If so, that will hopefully shave some more off the cost.
Thanks for the info on the A/C pump Bruce. Finding and checking out that pump will be the next project.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John,
The raw water pump for the AC unit is usually under the cabin sole aft hatch they might have used the same sea cock as the head intake . The AC intake line is usually a 3/4" or 1" black wire reinforced hose,
Good luck Pete Fallon