Fuel pickup question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

Fuel pickup question

Post by ktm_2000 »

Single engine boat, I ordered my fuel tank with 2 pickups, case one got clogged.

Should I plumb both to the racor with shut offs right at the racor for each and just keep one shut off until I need it or should I run both continuously?
Tony Meola

Re: Fuel pickup question

Post by Tony Meola »

I don't see an advantage to running two pickups at the same time. Maybe others do and I am sure they will jump in.

You should have a shut off at the racors and I would also put one at the tank. That way if you have to ever break the line at the tank, you can keep the spilt fuel to a few drops rather than what is in the lenght of the fuel line.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

If your pickup is clogs, I'd think chances are good the backup will clog up pretty quickly from whatever clogged the first.

I'd also expect to see your filters start having problems a good while before the pick clogs giving you a heads up on condition of tank.

I could be wrong...

Then again, if the pickup clogs or falls apart you are ahead of the game....

is it enough to run a separate line to your fuel filters with valves and all.
Not sure, but if you do I'd add alternating the fuel source every few trips or at oil changes so old fuel doesn't just sit in the line for years.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Good ideas,

The thought with having both pickups is I could switch to one side take the hose off the racor and blow into it to possibly clear and obstruction, not that the crud wouldn't come back quickly, but it might keep me running long enough to get me out of trouble. I had grand plans of having 2 racors setup with valves to switch between them but I think I was over thinking it and making sure filter is easy to get at and service while carrying 2 spare filters will be good enough.

I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible where-ever I can. My fabricator finally got to working on my job, he called yesterday and my tank is ready, picking it up Saturday. Ended up being 140 Gallons. The fuel hoses coming off the pickups are roughly 4' to the transom and I plan on putting the racor up high under the gunnel on the inside of the transom where it is easily accessible so another 2' there for a total of 6'.

What is the consensus about running rubber fuel lines under deck? On a previous boat, the builder did a SS fuel line from the tank to the racor then rubber after, never an issue with that setup. TTownthomas has copper fuel lines coming off his tank. In my case I will need to pass the fuel lines through a bulkhead at the back of the fuel tank, then through the floor. I was planning on epoxying in PVC pipe fittings to act as chaffing tubes in both places

Is it worth it to run metal fuel lines? If so what is the ideal material to use?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I suppose that you could run one pickup to 1/2" off the bottom and the other 1 1/2" off the bottom. Sort of like a reserve tank setup......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Most of the Bertrams came through with copper fuel lines. I have heard of issues with them cracking, but then rubber breaks down too. So no perfect answer. Running approved rubber hose is perfectly ok as long as you remember to check them every year. Just make sure that you can either replace them through access hatch's or by pulling the deck.

The day will come when you will need to replace them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

putting it all together:

run 2 pickups, stagger heights by one inch
run primarily off the longer one, but switch them up every once and a while, if $hit goes wrong, switch to upper one to hopefully get at better gas.
shut-off valves on each pickup as well as in front of racor
high quality rubber hose
make sure I can get at the pickups for maintenance.

thank you all for your advice!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking at your location...it doesn't look like you will be fueling up in the boonies or out in the stick where fuel can be questionable.
Your not running diesel were algae growth can be an issue...
New alum tank...why all the concern.

Usual gig for gas and aluminum tank is the corners corrode on the inside when water or alcohol is present. The outside can also corrode if moisture is held in spots, usually from improper mounting, like sitting on wood or rubber.
As it corrodes you get tidbits of debris in your filters as its too small to clog the pickup so you kind of read the tank...hopefully before the other tell tale sign...leaking.

The old steel tanks that flaked scale...that I could see being somewhat concernd about clogged pickups...but then by the time that's happening it's time for a new tank.

Having the pickup is great...but I am wondering if I'd think to switch the pickup before I disconnected and tried to see if the line was clogged...by that time I'd have it disconnected and might as well just blow it clear, reattach and give a try.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi Carl,

I've had a water issue before, not sure if it was getting in via vent or I got a load of bad gas. So I am a bit paranoid and would like to do what I can to avoid the situation all together or be able to handle it easier if it does occur. Plus @$100 for the second pickup and valves, hose, etc isn't too much for piece of mind.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Water and clogged are two different things.

If water is an issue, yes two pickups at different heights like Mike suggested, run the lowest pickup as your main fuel line as water will be at the bottom of the tank.
So if a problem does occur the higher line should be fine in good fuel for a little while.
But I'd Bee Line it back to port.

If really a problem, run a 2nd line to a 2nd separator or you'll need to drain the Racor...and your back to gas fumes in boat.

My first priority would be to make sure your not introducing water into the tank. In the old days it wasn't great...today its a really bigger issue. The ethanol fuel sucks up as much water as it can...then when it can;t hold anymore the water and alcohol come out of phase and drop. Water is not good on aluminum...BUT alcohol %'s over 10% etch aluminum...etch as in Eat IT. Plus all your octane rating drops as the ethanol was the octane boost...so now your with bad gas, water and alcohol eating your tank....plus the running issues of water in the tank.

We have a local guy that says he filters in several locations...but still known to have fuel issues. Better to avoid those places even if a bit less costly.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote:Water and clogged are two different things.

If water is an issue, yes two pickups at different heights like Mike suggested, run the lowest pickup as your main fuel line as water will be at the bottom of the tank.
So if a problem does occur the higher line should be fine in good fuel for a little while.
But I'd Bee Line it back to port.
Not only that, but in an 'out of fuel' emergency (I mean a real emergency) you can pump 10 gallons of water into the tank and switch to the high pickup......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I'm glad I asked about this topic, great info here.
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:
Not only that, but in an 'out of fuel' emergency (I mean a real emergency) you can pump 10 gallons of water into the tank and switch to the high pickup......

Can you imagine...run out of fuel, grab a few buckets of water dumping in tank fill...hit the key and take off.

Can you imagine the faces on those that saw that?

Boat runs on water>>>
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Not only that, salt water. LOL, its the salt that makes it work. Now try to get that our of the tank.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I realize I am coming into this discussion ;ate after a lot of good info, but I would think long and hard about dumping water into my fuel tank on purpose. Was this posted on April 1st by any chance?

Seriously, I agree with the comments above that I would have shutoff valves on each fuel line at the tank and also at the lines before they connect to the Racors. This would allow you to shut off a line if you want to open it's Racor but keep the fuel from draining into the bilge or backflowing into the tank... creating a potential fire hazard in the first case and losing prime in either case.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Adding water to a tank to get past the non-usable portion of the tank, could it work yes, but no way would I try it.

I plan my trips to come home and have 25% of my fuel remaining, so hopefully I won't run into the situation which he is proposing a solution to.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think it would be a last ditch chance at best.
Engine starts and all is good...how long till a little motion has sloshing effect and your pulling up water.

kind of cool to think about...highly doubt I'd ever try

on my boat.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I got my tank Saturday morning, the fabricator made them both the same and pressed in the pickups, I do not see an easy way to get them out.

I'll mess with one before the tank goes in the boat to see if I could get it out but I might have to nix the plan on 2 different height pickups.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Maybe its a sign to leave well enough alone. Make sure water cannot get in, buy gas from reputable places, monitor filters and I'm sure you will be just fine.