Trailer Configuration

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captain Decent

Trailer Configuration

Post by Captain Decent »

Well I got my B31 home but it’s collecting algae and I need a way to move her around. I found an 18k trailer that has potential but with the boat in the water configuring the bunks looks kinda hard and I don’t wanna break anything. Does anyone have a trailer setup well that could be so kind as to pull some dims off it. I’m looking for things like bunk spacing, overhang, frame width, Axle location etc.

The boat has a lot of strakes so I’m not sure how to avoid landing a bunk on one of those and the stern looks like it has to overhang the back of the trailer around 5ft to avoid the props. Lil help?
Donmystic1

Re: Trailer Configuration

Post by Donmystic1 »

I would hire a trucker with an hydraulic trailer to move it for you
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I don't know what use you reserve for the trailer, however, for 18K you can splash and remove your boat from the sea for many many years...I mean too many perhaps! by using the marina trailer. Plus they do the job, while you sit around finishing your beer.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

I think you mean an 18,000lb capacity trailer not price, right? Good trailers can be had for around $10K. I was close to pulling trigger on bunk trailer, but vehicle towing specs that would not cover GVCWR was an issue, and didn't want to buy a dually just for this. My other concern without the fully legal rated setup is if something were to happen on the road, my insurance underwriter was not sure coverage for any company would be extended once they found out that either the truck and/or trailer were not of legal capacity. As was said, we use a professional with a hydraulic trailer to bring the boat to/fro home each year - fully insured, no worries. Best of luck.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

The trailer is rated for 18k. Boat weighs 13.5k. Looking for advice on trailer configurations from someone who has a tried and true setup. Hiring a shipper every time is not an option.
John F.

Post by John F. »

PM or look for posts by Keith Poe. I’m pretty sure he has a trailer for his B31.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
WAC

Post by WAC »

Call Alex at ABTrailers. 818-780-1594. He just built an 18K rated trailer for my 31. I haven't put her on it yet but it sure is pretty. Sitting in my shop waiting for project day. I won't be putting it on any time soon as my father passed away and settling things up is gonna take a while. I can provide measurements if you like but I can't vouch for the fit just yet.
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I'll echo the advice to call Alex at ABT. He built the 18k trailer for my B28… I picked up the trailer in LA, then drove to Long Island where the boat was. The boat fit was perfect!

Good luck!

John
coolair

Post by coolair »

the cradle diagram is posted here at the bottom. http://bertram31.com/bert31_fs.htm

Here are the trailer pics for Gerry Santiago's boat http://bertram31.com/santiago/images/trailer/
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854