VHF antenna

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

VHF antenna

Post by Capt.Frank »

Well I have decided change my 30+ year old antenna's.
Boat has a 8' on a 4' extension VHF and what I think was a 16'+ old SSB antenna. I was thinking of 2- 8' Shakespeare 5225 Galaxy antenna on 8' extension. I have removed the old loran and my cell phone antenna from boat to clean up the tower. I have 2 radios scaning with one radio, talk on other one. Fish offshore and like having the range. I might do a 6db and 3 db. Asking for advice to see if there is a better option or antenna's out there.
Anyone ever here of airwavemarine.com ? Looks good, just never herd of them.

Thanks
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Re: VHF antenna

Post by bob lico »

very happy with 23' - 9 db as main antenna and a W/P hand held for bridge opening and rara alongside conversations. offshore 100% 9db
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have a 9db 6' and a 3db 3'.

I have an A/B switch and can use either one. The radio has high power and a low power settings.

On low power I can speak to local boats without stepping on everyone in the canyon. With the 3db antenna I can hear everything that is nearby. On high power I can call the coast guard from 25 or 30 miles away. With the 9db antenna I can hear stuff from far away.

The problem with the 9db antenna is that it is too focused (directional) to be useful for inshore communication. So I have both.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

year mike i have a 3db with A/B switch along with 9DB but have never used it.the hand held is convient and on dashboard.i also get 30 miles with the 9DB. mounted on the side of bridge with upper and lower mounts for strenth and 4' extra height over gunnel mount.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473