Big Marlin caught from Best Boat Ever

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Big Marlin caught from Best Boat Ever

Post by Tommy »

A group of anglers on Sunday reeled in one of the largest blue marlin ever caught off Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, after a marathon struggle that did not end with the billfish alongside the 31-foot boat.

Four hours into a fight that sapped the strength of four novice fishermen who had already battled several large tuna, the 814-pound marlin perished.

Tiburon deckhand Salvador "Chava" Flores spent the next two hours reeling the behemoth to the surface. (The anglers had hoped to release the fish alive.)

Their new dilemma was that the marlin, which had struck a trolled ballyhoo and a large green lure late in the afternoon, was nearly 14 feet long and more than 5 feet around.

The Tiburon (a Bertram 31), run by Pisces Sportfishing, is designed for smaller game and does not have a transom door through which to slide enormous billfish. The marlin was too massive to be tied to the transom outside the cockpit, and the weary anglers and crew were not strong enough to haul the fish over the rail.

Capt. Rosendo Gomez telephoned for assistance, and another 31-foot vessel arrived with four crewmen.

Pisces stated in a news release: "Even with all this manpower of four anglers and four additional crew it was impossible to hoist the monster fish, that had grown in estimation every hour, into the boat."

Fortunately, a much larger Pisces yacht was nearby and arrived to save the day. The marlin was collected through its transom door and delivered to the weigh station in the Cabo San Lucas Marina.

At 814 pounds, according to Pisces General Manager Tracy Ehrenberg, it became "the largest fish we've seen in many years in Cabo."

The largest on record, Ehrenberg said, was a 1,070-pound marlin caught 26 years ago - also in April.

The anglers, visitors from California who had spent 12 grueling hours at sea, seemed in the mood to celebrate.

Mark Molnar thanked Ehrenberg for the Tiburon crew's persistence, saying, "The crew stopped at nothing to achieve the objective and we will never forget that."

Curtis Paul added that it was a day of firsts: "The first time we have hooked one fish on two lines. The first time we have had seven tuna on at one time. The first time reinforcements were sent, and the first time we caught an 814-pound fish."

Typical blue marlin season in Cabo San Lucas waters is late summer and fall.

-Images are courtesy of Pisces Sportfishing
Tommy

Re: Big Marlin caught from Best Boat Ever

Post by Tommy »

Here's the link with photo; I hope it will open for you:

http://a.msn.com/02/en-us/BBVZZyV?ocid=se
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

My boys lost their minds when I showed them that yesterday.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That is some fish.

I remember back in the late 70's a 900 + lb marlin was caught in the Hudson Canyon on a 31 Bertram. They did get that fish in the boat. They ran a line through the front window to the bow cleat and attached a come along and hauled it in over the transom.

I know it did not completely fit in the cockpit. If I remember correctly the bill was in the cabin with the tail sticking up in the air at the transom.

Wish aI saved some of those old articles.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

At the risk of appearing to be tooting my own horn, I’d like to share a couple stories. My Dad, best friend, and I caught a Giant BFT in 1981 on Monster Ledge in a 24’ WellCraft Airslot. Put the fish in the boat the same way. Block and Tackle from bow cleat thru Cuddy Cabin to Cockpit deck, not quite 400#. Caught another one, with the 31 we towed home. A Blue Marlin on the 31 in the Hudson, that was estimated around 800#, 15’ of 300# leader and line was chaffed couple feet above the swivel. Have pics of her swimming away after letting her go. Another over 500#. If I knew how to post pics on this web-site I could show them. Please don’t think I’m trying to be boastful just have a bunch of pics that would really light up 31 Bertram owners, and other’s too. Any help on posting pics, I know you guys would be smiling. 33 years of owning a 31, sooner or later your going catch a big one.
EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Try using IMGUR

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3

Just go down to the posts which pop up in 2018. They explain how to do it. Even I learned.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Early Bird----I bought my bought in your area back in 1987----at the time I was told that the largest blue marlin for NJ was landed from it---took it with a grain of salt----any idea the name of the boat?
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Unreal pictures:

EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Believe it was Ditch Digger???????
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

That was the name of my boat when we bought her-----bought it from Hoffmans
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Is this the boat Ditch Digger that caught that big Blue?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

EarleyBird wrote:Is this the boat Ditch Digger that caught that big Blue?
Did a Doctor own it at the time? I have a vague recollection that a NJ Doctor landed a big Blue back then. Not sure if he got it on a 31.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I found this online for NJ records.

IMarlin, blue
1,046 lbs
Phil Infantolino
Hudson Canyon
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Dr. Infantolino was my Cardiologist, but retiring now.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:Dr. Infantolino was my Cardiologist, but retiring now.

..and the world gets just a little bit smaller.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

If my memory is still somewhat intact. The previous owners of the Ditch Digger did catch a big Blue. Dr.Phi’s is the N.J. State Record. Believe he had a Viking and the name was Heart Mender. Could be wrong, last century.
EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You might be right. He may of had a Viking. I think you are close on the name of the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Dr Phils boat was the heart to heart a 41 Viking. He later bought a 47 Viking that won money in several major tournaments captained by John Mautner.

Louie and Ronne caught a big blue on the Huntress out of Hoffmans on a 31 Bert. Big fish if I remember over 900. Thought the Ditch a Digger had one that year as well. Don't remember the weight.

After Dr Phils fish I know the 44 henriques sunrise released a toad over 900 closer to 1000 with photo evidence and Joe Natoli on the Rybovich Janice has released some over 800 and larger.

What is notable is that all of these were out of Manasquan Inlet and within 6-8 years of one another. We have not seen many big girls in a while now.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

JP
my friend on the real games has had a few released
out of jones, but as you said that was years ago
1968 hull # 316 - 757
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Like I said it was the previous century and I was drinking back then....I knew Dr. Phil’s boat’s name had to due with the heart. We caught a big girl back then, when I get this picture thing figured out I’ll show you all. Chris Carver, Longfin Joe Quinn, and myself caught two nice ones, one day back then. One on the way east wall of the Hudson one on the west.
EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Send the Pics to one of us and we will post them up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

Nice fish. Alot better than my catch that day of 3 snapper!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hey Tony, thank you for the offer. My wife has taken 33 years of fish pics and transferred them from this iPad to her labtop? Soon we’ll try to post these pics. If there is a problem, I’ll look you up. Gotta find the time, getting the 46 year ol’Girl ready for another year and just put her little lady in the water Monday (21’) just a tad busy...20 for Easter Dinner kinda slowed things last week. They’ll be coming. EarleyBird
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hey fellas, here's one I'd like you all to see. Hudson Canyon years ago. 15 feet of 300# leader and main was chaffed quite a ways above swivel. Let her go and she stayed on top to take a couple pics. EarleyBird