Natural Aquarium

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

Natural Aquarium

Post by Bertramp »

Hi Folks ...
As you may know, I live in Ft. Lauderdale on a canal.
I recently purchased an under-water light for my dock. It floats off of a dive weight and with the aid of the electronic eye, comes on at dark and has attracted CRAZY amounts of fish.
Lots of catfish, a few flat fish that swim/float kinda sideways (not a flounder or fluke) a bunch of unidentified fish and a Tarpon that is about 30" long.
I feed them canned (fishy) cat food and any protein table scraps.
They all come out for a free meal and are actually getting fat.
The Tarpon however, never seems to eat at feeding time. It comes out, swims around, seems healthy, but doesn't partake of the free vittles.
The smaller fish aren't running from him, so I guess he's not attacking them ....or am I just missing his "hunting trips" ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Re: Natural Aquarium

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Nice.. You are probably missing his feeding time. I am sure he eats well. He just may not like his choice's at your dock.

You need to set up a Salt Water Tank. Get a throw net and see what you get under the lights and put the small ones in the tank. That would be cool.

By the way, how are the Hillsdale girls treating you?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Steve,

We had an underwater light when we lived on a canal in here in Texas. We loved it. Most times it would either be filled with a huge tornado of small bait fish or 2-3 good sized red fish on the prowl. My wife would keep a light spinning real with a lure on it by the garage door. Some nights she’d look down from the deck and declare “I’m going to go catch THAT one” It was a blast in the murky water off my deck in Texas. I’m sure it’s great in Ft. Lauderdale.

I still would like to buy you a cold one sometime when we fly into FLL. I’ll send you a text the next time I go through there with a little bit of free time and see if you’re around. We should be down there a couple times this year.

Danny
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Tony Meola wrote:Steve

Nice.. You are probably missing his feeding time. I am sure he eats well. He just may not like his choice's at your dock.

You need to set up a Salt Water Tank. Get a throw net and see what you get under the lights and put the small ones in the tank. That would be cool.
I travel back and forth to the north. This way, I don't need a feeder or to clean a tank.

By the way, how are the Hillsdale girls treating you?
The Hillsdale girls (daughters) are now married and are Jersey Moms.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

DanielM wrote:Steve,

I still would like to buy you a cold one sometime when we fly into FLL. I’ll send you a text the next time I go through there with a little bit of free time and see if you’re around. We should be down there a couple times this year.

Danny
Would love to have you stop by ....Please let me know
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Congratulations on the married daughters. Next thing you will be telling us you are on your way to being a Grandfather.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315