Docking lights/Headlights

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kross1

Docking lights/Headlights

Post by kross1 »

Hi All
I just ordered a set of docking lights for my boat. I don't like to call them headlights but if you do a search you find a lot of lights for your dock not the boat.
I got LED's from a company called TecNiq. They seem to make a lot of lights for emergencie vehicles .Anyone know anything about them. By the way there are lights there now just replacing them.

Thanks
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
ranjr13

Re: Docking lights/Headlights

Post by ranjr13 »

I think docking lights are excellent, used when entering harbor or docking to pick out moorings, assisting a boat in distress, working around anything that won't light up just by the lumens given off from nav lights. We had halogen large style docking lights in our 28 - that was 20yrs ago, before good LED bulbs were available. My only concern would be to make sure you get an excellent fit if it in any way changes the mount of the light. There are a lot of concerns, and some examples from folks in this sand box, where docking lights have blown out (inward) during heavy sea contact, creating a very large opening for seawater to enter when pounding into a head sea.

On our 31, I' have LEDs to put on - but they are not replacing large existing lights - they require only 2 or 3 small screw holes, and a wire hole very small (22 or smaller gauge wire). Thus there will be no large hole to ever cause a possible path for large water. I'm not familiar with TecNiq - if you google Whelen their factory is a town away from me here in Connecticut, and we use them exclusively on our emergency apparatus. If you have any issues with the TecNiq lights go with Whelen lights, the Cadillac of the emergency vehicle warning industry. I believe docking lights are great - just don't leave them on all the time. Best of luck, enjoy!
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I love my docking lights. Barengatts with the lexan cover. Some day I will change the bulbs to LED.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You don't worry about them blowing in? Big wave.... and all of a sudden you're taking in a gallon every few seconds?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I'm not concerned about the lights coming off the boat. The ones that are there now are rock solid and these are going on that frame work as they are a little bit smaller.
I will let you know quality and brightness when they arrive .
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My boating is limited to the Chesapeake Bay, which while rough is not the ocean. These lights are two layers. The inner light and the outer lexan protective lens. i am not going to make claims like the Titanic, but I am comfortable with them for what I do. There is a greater danger from sinking by hitting flotsam at night than sinking from breaching the lights.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Read Bob Licos posting in the "Exhaust Water Discharge Thread"

Wed 2/20/2019. 4:20pm
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I don't have them and really don't feel the need for them. I have a great LED flashlight that I keep in the helm area and love it.

Also, I simply don't want to put a couple of holes in my boat.. IMHO I have too many already.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Dug

Post by Dug »

I had docking lights. When they worked they were cool. But the Morse lights that were cast aluminum died, the housings cracked and the plastic ones i replaced them with just never worked either. And then i blew one out on a bad run one from the canyon and that was it. When Alchemy got beautified, they were GONE!!! If you want then in your boat i understand. But ill take a FLIR anytime. :)
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I received the lights they seem well made. They have two settings hi and low witch seems like a nice feature. Comes with lifetime warranty, who’s Lifetime I don’t know but will see how it goes.
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Amen on FLIR. Use the radar to locate items in the water, use the FLIR to differentiate between mooring balls, geese or kayaks. Incredible tool when used after a little practice. Concern with water intrusion in nasty sea with large original style docking lights, but not with new modern surface mount led lights.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i second dug! A vicious ocean WILL break those lights-----------trust me!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

BTW. if you get caught offshore with those docking lights on, the COAST GUARD will stop you and rip you a new asshole as well as a full inspection!!!! you will really piss them off don`t do it. this is a International law BTW those two light with port and starboard and mast light with be the sign of towing a 200 meter or more barge or ship.i spoke with a large party boater just after it the incident happen.all kind of aftermath sex,drugs,and rock and roll.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

...and they are not too found of spot lights in the eyes either.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl 100% correct, police harbor patrol or Coast Guard consider this an act of terrorism along with a laser light on an patrol boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473