Re: Progress Report on #4 Knee Replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie J.
I am doing great compared to the last 8 years of constant pain. I have a couple of minor complaints but overall It's feeling great. #1. The new knee is made out of Zirconium, Ceramic with titanium stems driven up into the tibia and femur bones. The problem is that w=hen the temperature gets below 25 degrees my knee gets very cold and becomes painful, if I don't wear lined chinos pants, long underwear and a ace bandage around my knee. Last week we had a snow, ice, sleet and freezing rain storm I had to get the 3 to 4 inches of stuff off my car before it froze into a block of ice, took me 45 minutes to get it all cleaned off , by the time I finished my knee was very cold and painful, it took about 1/2 a hour with the heating pad to get the cold to go away. I guess it's time to go back to a warner climate for the winters. #2 After I sit in a chair or drive my car for any length of time I get a sensation of painful blood flow going by my knee when I stand up or get out of the car, feels like the blood rushing down to my lower leg and foot, I have to stop moving and allow the blood to flow past my knee, it's annoying and painful.

I have a month of PT left twice a week, hopefully by the end of February I will be able to start swinging a golf club. But compared to the last 8 years it's a pleasure not having the constant pain and having to use crutches I am down to just a cane to help me walk. I found out that the old knee (#3) was only attached inside the joint by 7 mm at the femur and 4 mm at the tibia, no wonder every time I stepped down I felt like someone was stabbing me with an ice pick.

I cannot say enough about Dr. Nayfeh he is miracle worker as far as I am concerned. If anyone is having issues with their knees he is the only one to go to. He is one of 6 or 7 orthopedic surgeons in the U.S. that does cement less implants and he's the first doctor that actually took the time to listen to me about what was going on in my knee.

So that's what's happening with the new knee, after 4 knee replacements and 18 surgeries I thing I am going to be alright. I just turned 72 yesterday, I am retired from surveying boats for the present time, people say that retirement is supposed to be the golden years as far as I am concerned it's the rust years. Charlie are you still going down to the Stuart Florida area during the winter months? If anyone wants to talk about Bertram's I am available every afternoon after 3:00 P.M.
Pete Fallon
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pete, I am delighted to hear your great report; thanks for sharing! Keep up the PT regime so you can be back climbing over boats real soon.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Thanks for the update Pete and congratulations on your new good health. I think most of us were wondering (and worrying) about you.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

We have never met but I know I speak for the sand box that we are happy for your recovery. I for one have been concerned as you have had very few posts lately. I have missed your insight and knowledge you are willing to share with the group. God bless for your continued recovery and healing.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete,

I am thrilled to hear that you think it is a success. That is fantastic.

Yep, I hear it is not perfect, but a HUGE step in the right direction!

Be well my friend.

Dug
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,
That cold is why Florida gets overwhelmed every winter.
Finish your pt, find a 25 year old honey, move to Florida and live the retirement years playing golf and indoor activities.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Pete-

Glad that you're doing better. Good luck with the PT and recovery. And the cold just sucks regardless.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Glad to hear that you are on your way to a full recovery and hopefully a normal life again. I would expect as you heal the feeling of the blood rushing past your knee will lesson.

Don't listen to Bruce about the 25 year fold honey. It is cheaper to higher them by the hour and less of a headache. Just kidding.

You are right time to head south. Plus why live in a high tax area.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
If you do it right, medicare will cover the cost if you have the right suppliments.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete,

Nice to hear!
It'll get some time getting used to, you'll get to learn the do's and don'ts, but overall, you'll soon be a happy man.
All the best.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Great news Pete! I am so glad you are finally getting some relief! If you get to the point that you can wear one, the neoprene pull on knee "brace" should be warmer than an ace. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Great news! Go south where it is warmer!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I forgot to mention that one of our members (Priceless 31 Bahia Mar) who is an orthopedic surgeon in Salisbury, Md recommended Dr. Tariq Nayfed to me, so if anyone is having complex issues with their knees Dr. Nayfed is the one to go to, He's in Silver Spring, Md . he will be moving to Potomac Md in the spring. Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone that posted. Hey Bruce what kind of insurance supplement should I get for the young ladies and what do you call the treatments.
Pete Fallon
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Glad to hear Pete and always remember the 3 F’s, although here on a boating sandbox the first is regularly ignored.
If Floats, Flys or F£#k’s, rent it!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Great news, Pete. Hope it keeps getting better.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete-

Seems that few things in life are 100%. So a few complaints sounds about right.
And on the upside, it looks like most of your troubles can be dealt with by getting out of these cold northeast winters.

Thanks for checking in...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,

I went to the Ortho doctor Tuesday all okay with the knee xrays looked real good. He said to keep up the PT for another month into March. He said most of the pain was coming from muscles and tendons that haven't been able to move right for the past 8 years. I asked about golf and he said start slow and work your way up to full swing motion. He doesn't want to see me for 6 months except if something goes really wrong. He has moved to Potomac (7811 Montrose Rd Potomac MD very close to 270 West) nice new office. Anyway I am doing well down to just a cane to help me walk, no leg brace or crutches after 8 years. Just an update on my condition, I'll see you guys at Tropic Star in the summer hopefully.
Pete Fallon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

That is great news. Starting to play golf is a big jump from what you were doing before. Soon you will be back on the water.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pete, thanks for the update and congrats on your continued progress. I'm sure that you are an ideal patient and following the PT regime by the book, so I am confident that you will be back in the swing this summer. Keep up the great work!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Loving the news Pete, keep it coming!!

Well guess we will have to wait the 6 months for news from your next doctors appointment.
But hey, do check in and tell us how the golf swing is coming along.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete,

We have a lot of PT’s in our family and I learned the following:

Apart for pt for your leg, you might want to consider doing some pt on your torso. The fact that you have to lean on that cane when you walk, puts particular strain on certain muscle groups on your upper body (shoulder, back, etc) that would otherwise be balanced as per the normal walking procedure.
I’m sure your doc knows all that, I just wanted to show off my medical skills!
Good luck!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Pete I sent you a msg. I passed along your contact info to friend looking for a survey up your way. Hope you are feeling good enough to do it or couuld refer him to someone.

Pete
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Peter,
I haven't heard from you or your friend as of Tuesday night , I am still not back into surveying yet but will help him out as much as I can.
Faithful thanks for all the encouraging thoughts, Yannis, I am doing both upper and lower PT they started both while I was in rehab back in November.
Carl congrats on going with the 6BT Cummins, you might want to think about moving the exhaust ports on the transom to the sides to do away with the station wagon effect especially with an express cruiser model when moving slowly and also increasing the size of the exhaust to 5" and adding mufflers and surge tubes.
Pete Fallon
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

thanks Pete I gave Tom your number I found on the site here. Just gave you a heads up through the messaging through this site...
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Excellent news Pete. Glad the knee is finally heading the in right direction for you.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Pete, great news for u. In case u forgot, u didn’t have to shovel snow when in Stuart Florida ,there are still houses here