B28 Air Condition install ideas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sunpacceo

B28 Air Condition install ideas

Post by Sunpacceo »

I just received my Webasto 12,000 BTU a/c from Defender that I am planning to install in my 86 Bertram 28. I searched the forum and was hoping to see if some members had already completed an install like mine that could make suggestions to make my install a little easier. I am considering one of two locations, the forward salon seat or the locker between the V berth and the same seat (see pics). Also, I'm not certain on air vent locations.

I look forward to your suggestions,

Tooeez

Re: B28 Air Condition install ideas

Post by Tooeez »

I put mine under the aft dinette seat, ran the duct to starboard, then up behind the inside paneling to deck level, where I put a Y box. One side of that goes to a vent in the side panel above the table, even with the forward end of the table. The other leg of the Y runs forward under the deck into the hanging locker, where I installed the second vent into the V berth. The return vent is in the forward side of the aft dinette seat. The sea water pickup and pump are amidships, just in front of the water tank. The condensation hose runs aft through the bulkhead to the bilge in front of the starboard engine. I had to cut the deck inside the seat and drop it a few inches to get clearance for the unit. If you do this be sure to seal off the shelf the a/c will sit on from the bilge area with Styrofoam, or else the a/c will draw air from the bilge instead of the cabin.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

It looks like it doesnt fit under the seat of the dinette, heightwise.
You might have to remove one drawer and make room for it. Id think its more simple to put it in the hanging locker.
The other locker between galley and v berth, is it too narrow? Under the sink?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

We put that same unit in our 31, under the forward dinette seat, exactly the same installation with tips on sealing it off from bilge air as Tooeez said, also with one vent to the cabin, the other off the Y to the v-berths. Water pump is in bilge right next to intake with strainer mounted on stringer, great setup, works excellent. We did give up the storage drawer under that one seat. Easy to service - if in the locker would be tough to get all the way around it, and if the condensation pan ever leaked the H2O would be coming out of the locker.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Sunpacceo

Post by Sunpacceo »

I do have a question about the condensation drain. I see that Toeez mentioned the hose runs through the bulkhead and into in front of starboard engine. Is that where I want it to drain? SHould I be concerned with engine vapors possibly entering the cabin from this location? I'm now to having a boat with a cabin so bare with me if these are silly questions.
QUOTA2

Post by QUOTA2 »

I had mine installed under my sink and the vent is right by the top self by the galley and vents in the v-berth and head as well. The drain is connected to my sink drain. My 28 is a 74. Hope this helps.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

The drain hose is soft vinyl, about 3/8 diameter--just make the hole the same size, and push the hose through--it fits tight enough no fumes will get by. By the way, I have the hose coming through the bulkhead about 2 inches below the deck the dinette seats mount to, so in the engine compartment it comes out about 18 inches above the bilge. I have it stick out about an inch, with a plastic 90 degree fitting for the water to drip out of.

I thought about putting mine behind the sink. If you take the fridge out there is a huge space behind the sink that runs from the head bulkhead all the way to the v berths. I decided against it because of the difficulty accessing the unit-- I didn't want to lose any storage space under the sink, or make an access hatch. There is also a problem with locating the return vent if the unit is behind the fridge.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I plumbed mine to drain into the fresh water tank. Not common practice but it works for me.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Clever, Kevin, you turned your ac into a watermaker!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
jbottoms

Post by jbottoms »

Kevin wrote:I plumbed mine to drain into the fresh water tank. Not common practice but it works for me.
I've always thought this was a great idea, but what happens when the tank gets full?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I only use the ac if I am on the boat. I have never run into a full tank due to condensation drip. If I did I would just turn on a faucet to lower tank level.
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

mine is in the forward locker just in front of the bench, along with my on board vacuum cleaner. That sounds much fancier than it really it... it is just a wet dry vac plumbed in with a nozzle fitting.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Sunpacceo

Post by Sunpacceo »

Well, it took a little longer to get it to fit than I expected. I had to cut out the bottom of the seat base to drop the unit about an inch. Holes are cut for the 5" duct and electrical going to the units control panel which is installed in the locker. Next will be the seapump to and existing seacock and overflow line to and existing port already in the hull somewhere. see pic.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Was thinking of installing ac on my 28 under the aft bench seat. The condensate drain would go into shower sump.
Please let me know how yours works out.
Vintage
1979 FBC B28
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sunpacceo wrote:Well, it took a little longer to get it to fit than I expected. I had to cut out the bottom of the seat base to drop the unit about an inch. Holes are cut for the 5" duct and electrical going to the units control panel which is installed in the locker. Next will be the seapump to and existing seacock and overflow line to and existing port already in the hull somewhere. see pic.

What size return air grill are you installing in the seat base?
Sunpacceo

Post by Sunpacceo »

I cut in an 8x10 vent and have more room if additional are is needed. adding a breaker this weekend and finishing the wiring. Just in time for 80 degree temps here in Florida
Sunpacceo

Post by Sunpacceo »

I cut in an 8x10 vent and have more room if additional are is needed. adding a breaker this weekend and finishing the wiring. Just in time for 80 degree temps here in Florida
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

i have a 86 and it has a/c and that is where mine is mounted under the forward seat just like you have done works great there