Portable VHF

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Portable VHF

Post by Yannis »

I'm sorry to interrupt your Christmas but what ATTRIBUTES would you wish to enjoy in a portable VHF?
ok, this is floating, wateresistant etc, has gps, what else is there to look for?
They're in end of year sale, what shall I be looking for?
Thanx.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
pschauss

Re: Portable VHF

Post by pschauss »

I assume that you know about MSSI numbers and the automatic distress signal function on these sets.

I bought an ICOM IC-M93D. In addition to the features that you listed, it has a function which supposed to flush the water out of the speaker/microphone.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes the MOB function, right, I forgot it, what else?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... fault.aspx

standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=182D978C9908C3DD4EBE62DC0E44BFED&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

Yannis

You are over thinking this. I don't know what situations you need to plan for or what conveniences you want with the Radio, but I would go through the ICOM and Standard Horizon Website, posted above and go through their handhelds and what each one offers. I see some have an FM radio for listening to music, strobe lights etc.

Try to figure out what options you really want and then those you really need. Problem is no one handheld will probably give you all the options you think you need. So as I see it, you will need to pick the one that comes the closest and still provide all the necessary safety features.

Plus since you are in Greece (at least that is what you say) you need to make sure that what is sold here in the US will work for you in Greece.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, thanks, I’ll see what these guys have to offer.

The reason I’m asking all this, is because it’s about time I acted a bit seriously on safety issues, beyond just lifejackets and fire extinguishers...
Also, because I’ve seen some promotions and the prices vary from around €150 to €450, so I thought these two arent equal, so I started questioning what is what.
However I’m not too technical and I would prefer if there was a wide consensus that would untie my hands.
Yes, the location is important I guess, but I would buy locally or from Europe anyway, so the system be compatible, 220v charging etc.

I’m experiencing some problems with my current VHF’s range, I think it’s the antenna which is mounted on the fb side but there is a lot of SS tubing for the bimini as well as all the solar panels’ thick SS frame right next to it that might create this problem.

I read that there shouldn’t be any metal adjacent to the antenna, I might have to move it up on top so that all this steel frame is below the antenna, not right next to it, as it is now.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yanis

Not sure what is available in Greece, but I like Digital Antenna's. Get it as high as you can and I bet the solar panels give off electrical interference. Also, the Coast Guard has a bulletin out about LED lights causing problems.

ICOM and Standard Horizon are the two of radios recommended the most. Remember the handheld will be for communicating with the boat while someone is ashore and if you ever need to hit the old life raft. Range is limited due to low wattage and low antenna height.

I would say the most important features are:

1) quality
2) Water resistance
3) GPS function

Everything else is a bonus. I would include an EPIRB and or PLB to your list. If you are in Mayday type trouble the EPIRB or PLB will save you before the Handheld does.

I am surprised Santa did not leave you one under the tree. I guess it was Coal for you?

Anyway, getting near time to visit family, enjoy your Christmas.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Yannis...

I would not buy any unit that does not have a removable built in primary battery as well as a backup flashlight type battery holder so if your primary battery loses ir's charge you can remove it and replace it with a backup battery power source.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony and Frank, thank you and happy new year,

Interesting issues you’re bringing up!
Tony, I haven’t yet looked thorougly, but I can’t locate any vhf type of box under the tree...I’ll have to look again!

What would you say is a normal range for a handheld vhf I should expect?
In the part of the Aegean I use my boat, there shouldnt be any distance between a boat and any land farther apart than, say, 10nm. Which is to say that the max distance between two land masses should be no more than 20nm.

While the epirb is the most efficient safety/location device, would a MOB distress button (that emits your gps positioning) do the job given the above distances?

I hope that gravy wasn’t too heavy on your stomach !
Carl

Post by Carl »

VHF range is line of sight. Higher you go the further the signal goes.
Higher you go on a small boat the rolling of the boat has signal shooting into the water and at the sky...so too high and too low are both not good.

Short antenna on a handheld brings that range down a good amount.

Kudos on dealing with safety before you have a need.
And remember, handhelds are great to have, but its like having a bucket of sand if the batteries are dead or you can't get to the radio when its needed.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

I would not count on a handheld transmitting more than 6 miles. On a real good day you may get 10 but that might be only two or three times a year.

Get yourself a PLB. Then at least you know, someone will always be able to find you since they ping location off of satelites.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,
At your suggestion, I’m making myself familiar with the PLB technology...
As I read in various sites, I conclude this thing is better than a simple handleld vhf, as it secures your position directly with the authorities, as opposed to just hope to find a vessel or land rescue crew within the limited vhf range, plus, it emits a signal long enough for rescuers to locate you.

Question: How would this product be used in the event of ANOTHER person’s MOB situation?
Assuming a crew member falls off my boat in conditions I am unable to locate them in the water (very rough conditions, in the dark etc) do I myself activate the PLB? In the event that this activation happens almost simultaneously with the MOB incident, can the rescuers register and track all the emission history of the PLB so that instead of locating me on my boat (which has inevitably moved away from the MOB person) they can source the initial emission ping which is closest to the MOB?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

A PLB is a personal locater beacon so it is keyed on the individual holding it. Or the boat it sits on. If someone falls over without a PLB there is no way of tracking them. In rough water I would suggest everyone have a life jacket and a strobe light.

I do not have a PLB but have an EPIRB. My feeling is that if I am on my boat, it will be the boat in trouble and if someone falls overboard, I will have to activate the recovery plan. That could be several things depending on the situation. If you see someone go overboard, first rule is have someone keep a watch on the person. As the captain you should hit the MOB button on the GPS which will mark your location. Then make start the recovery.

The real issue when you do not see someone go overboard. The you need to mark you current location and start back tracking over your course. Problem is when it rough they are hard to find, second people will drift off your original course.

You should read the link below when you get a chance.

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/man-overboard-0/

Also I think you are thinking of a product along the lines of this one:

http://emeraldmarineproducts.com/

I have no idea what a MOB system costs but if you are worried about going over it might be worth the peace of mind to look into it. While going over is an issue, the boat getting in trouble is also one you need to keep in mind. The EPIRB ties to your boat. A PLB is or you and you could even use it if you were out climbing a mountain and got in trouble. Ideally a person with a boat should have an EPIRB and a PLB. This way if you were on a friends boat you could have your PLB on you.

If you go over you would have a PLB on you so they could find you.

Safety is not cheap, but once you need it, you will find that even spending $10,000 is cheap.

Oh I forgot, make sure you notify the local recovery units right away. For us it is the US Coast Guard.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Tony, nice article.

I'm leaning more towards one of these, at around €250. I can also wait until next spring, or until a promotion is up...
I also want to combine this purchase with a new gps plotter; my Simrad is going way south lately.
Latest, when I turn it on, no matter where I am, it displays Denmark. I have to move down to Greece every time...from then on, it's OK !! Plus I see some very sticky gooey stuff spilling out from the bottom of the frame...

https://imgur.com/a/WoEPifd
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yannis wrote: Latest, when I turn it on, no matter where I am, it displays Denmark. I have to move down to Greece every time...from then on, it's OK !! Plus I see some very sticky gooey stuff spilling out from the bottom of the frame...

The internal battery has died, corroded, and leaked.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike,

It's that the summer here is very hot and this thing is up there uncovered all the time in the sun.
This gets its internals so hot, that the silicone-like seal all around, has given up...
I opened it and verified it. The point is that now the casing is no longer as water resistant, which will eventually lead to its overall collapse.
It started with Denmark, by next summer it's going to be the colors and then ...pafff...the end.
I can do without, but it's better to have it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/weems-pl ... ecordNum=1

Yannis

I just came across this. It is related to your question about going over board. Thought you might be interested.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

Thank you, but I have been denied access, all EU accts are banned from westmarine due to the latest law regarding global data protection restrictions. Could you possibly post it under a different site? Thanks.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Mike.

So there are two types of MOB;

this one, where someone onboard is allerted through his cellphone about somebody else thrown overboard and through an app is even directed to the exact location, and,

the second type where the person overboard, through a similar device carried by him (PLB), allerts the authorities. And awaits for the coast guard to come save him.

There might be a combination too.

And, of course, there is the EPIRB which is registered to the boat, not the individual.

I’m reading in the above thread that the first type, the one with the app, does not require cell service, in other words, it works even though the telephone signal is nonexistent; do I understand correctly?

So, finally, which of the two types is better?
If we assume that the weather is rough and the boat is in serious difficulty to turn, or even worse, the motors are dead, then the type with the app is useless, you are allerted alright but are incapable to act...if however the conditions are good (visibility, wave height etc...) and the boat works well, then perhaps the app type is faster to find and rescue the person ob.

The PLB on the other hand allerts every conceivable authority which start the rescue operation. If youre still afloat there is a guarantee that you will be found and rescued. Only it may take longer, as usually the coast guard are farther away and there could be some red tape too.

Do I have it right?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yes. The PLB is the better way to go, I think. It costs more, and in this country at least, you need to maintain a registration for each one (they're free to register), but your odds of being found are greatly increased.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... acons.html

Like anything else, it doesn't work if you don't have it on you.....

My Coast Guard friends tell me that most people who end up in the water, get there as a result of a combination of things. Usually it's a guy who was peeing over the stern when the boat hit a bump, and no one noticed he was gone until they were miles away.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks, Mike, very enlightening article.
I’m also oriented towards a PLB.
I haven’t found any indication on the fine associated to improper use, though.

A guy had a big inflatable equiped with an EPIRB. He loaded it, unaccompanied, onto a ferry boat heading to his destination island, while he and his family would catch a flight for comfort. The sea was rough and the particular location on the ferry garage that the inflatable was parked was near an external door of some sort. The waves were high and water spray started leaking onto the inflatable through that door. The EPIRB got wet and started emiting distress signals. Nobody aboard the ferry, captain or crew, were aware of this distress. The coast guard contacted the ship and asked what happened and why they were...sinking. But, on second thought, they couldnt explain how the ferry run over the inflatable to which the EPIRB was registered. Or why the distress location was moving along with the ship.
Long story short, the owner of the inflatable had to pay something like €5k for false alarm.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Just purchase one that is manually activated and hydrostatic. Problem solved.

If you have a hydrostatic release make sure it is mounted clear of any obstructions. Nothing worse that the EPIRB getting hung up on a tower or other rigging and going down with the ship.

Yes it happens.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes, will do.
Only I’ll probably get a PLB not an EPIRB. Perhaps a portable vhf too.