Hailing Bob Lico

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

saburke17

Hailing Bob Lico

Post by saburke17 »

Trying to reach Bob, I emailed him a few weeks ago with no reply. Is he not an email type of guy? I'm looking for templates and pictures of 4lha repower. Anyone else by chance have the info? I want to reduce the shaft angle like he does.

Sean
Tony Meola

Re: Hailing Bob Lico

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob is not good with email or PM's. I do not have any other contact info for him., He does check in from time to time.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I receive between 200 and 250 e-mails a day on three accounts. sometimes i miss a day or so because i am in NJ working on 38' Bertram or with John Lane from Fork river NJ when i get to e-mail there are 6oo messages on the three accounts , PM`s for this site over the limit.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Hey Bob, thanks for the Reply, any chance you can pm your number. I'm about to start a 4lha repower and I've gone blind staring at the screen looking at your posts. i'm on page 29 of 91 for your posts lol. I want to drop my engines to reduce the angle and want to talk to you about maybe building me some props

thanks
Sean
727-519-4425
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:I receive between 200 and 250 e-mails a day on three accounts. sometimes i miss a day or so because i am in NJ working on 38' Bertram or with John Lane from Fork river NJ when i get to e-mail there are 6oo messages on the three accounts , PM`s for this site over the limit.
Bob

So know you are hanging with John Lane. Tell him you know are a good friend of mine. John is one of the best Diesel Mechanics around.

Are you at his shop in Waretown? I am hoping to stop by and see Ray Belangers boat. It is John's shop being repaired. John also put the engines in Jimmy G's boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i was aware of Jimmy G`s boat but never inquired on the status of Ray B boat.john is still building interior walls in engine storage warehouse. Fork river is a great place to keep a boat with a clean shot to the ocean without the hardships of Fire Island Inlet.we also have to deal with ,State Dec.,State police,county police ,islip town police, and the USCG. to check to see if i have a fire extinguisher for the fourth time!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

saburke17 you realize this is not a job for a fiberglass novice. a huge hole in the bottom of the boat in the location of the old shaft log will be complicated to maintain the bottom fiberglass structural integrity. are you doing the engine installation?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

My spare bow chock is on Jimmy G's boat.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Hey Bob, Yes totally aware of the consequences of the fiberglass part. I have a fiberglass guy lined up already for that part. I will be supplementing the Engine install guys with specific info on dropping the beds and such. Just trying to cut the guess work out with info from guys who have done these type of re-powers. Having first hand knowledge with Bertrams and a 4LH will help cutout the mistakes, I can Definitely compensate you for your time as i'm positive it will save us time and money on the install. The props are key too, and would want a pair from you if possible or suggestions at the very least.

Sean
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:saburke17 you realize this is not a job for a fiberglass novice. a huge hole in the bottom of the boat in the location of the old shaft log will be complicated to maintain the bottom fiberglass structural integrity. are you doing the engine installation?
Bob

Is the 38 in John's yard? I may be down that way over the weekend before New Years and into New Years. If we are both down there we should catch up. Let me know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the 38' Bertram is in a yard off RT. 35 in Keyport and the Catapillar C-7 engines are being built in John`s shop at the Fork River Marina .they have one alternator at 24 volt with separate charger feeding engine battery bank and the other engine with 12 volt alternator for house,and generator battey bank of AGM batteries.the dual electrical panels are state of the art from Viking factory topping off a completely rewired boat.looking for 30 knot cruise and state of the art electronics from Furuno.interior strip down and will be redone in book matched teak on walls and new galley cabinets.new coosa board cockpit with custom kill boxes .repower will be finished in a month with shafts,structs,and engine installed. slow going on new bulkhead with ladder to bridge moved to starboard side and huge tinted window with sliding door.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

What yard in Keyport? Wagners and Petersons is about the only ones I know that can handle a 38'.
Thought you where at Highlands Municiple.

Tough ride from Long Island...

If you ever need a stopping place, give me A hoopla. Live by outer ridge, work by VZ
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the 38' Bertram is on the hard at Raritan Marina ,NJ.they have a brand new 50 ton travel lift that will come in handy when i balance the boat.i can move generator forward or aft for counter balance along with removing 2000 pounds from the total weight mainly forward of main bulkhead.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raritan Marina in Laurence Harbor, sure know that one. My buddy Steve has his boat there. If you see The Hooch, tell him Carl said hi and see if he wants to grab a bite at Chris Micheals?

That has to make for an easier ride for you.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes easier ride from Long Island not a great marina in terms of that bridge over RT.35 . a song and a dance to open if not on the strike of the hour! if not you wait and 5 pm rush hour forget about it. A great place to build a boat but when it comes time to keep in water slip we will consider other facilities.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

That would be its down side.
The drawbridge and its a bit of a ride to get out to the fishing grounds.
My customers have the marina's right across in Staten Island, cost is great, facilities are ok-ish...but unless fishing in that area (which can be good) its a ride to the better spots or offshore.

If looking for someplace between LI and NJ...you can look at Great Kills Harbor. Nichols is a State concession, is better in price, large, lets you do your own thing but offers little. I was there for 20 years.
Across the harbor is mansion ave right on the water, has bait, ships stores and places to eat. Mansion marina is pretty reasonable and a good fishing marina. Atlantis...a bit yuppy, Captains is small with little and then Staten Island Yacht Sales is interesting...lots of 1st time boat/yacht buyers.
Anyway...kinda middle of Island and great to fish out of whether Raritan bay or offshore.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

love everything about Atlantic Highlands marina except the huge waves in the harbor that was so bad that women could not get on the boat.you could do anything you want during off- season on the boat. we keep the center console there for a while and could be at the "sticks" trolling in minutes that boat will do 63mph and cruise at 50mph with twin 300hp Verado`s. A productive year with over 200 bass trolling with Mojo`s .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Watch if you decide to take that ride from Raritan Marina at that speed, watch! Tons of big wood from Raritan River and the Kill Van Kull...especially after a heavy rain or moon tide.

Yes, it was a year for some big Stripers and the Mojo's were the candy. Although a few big 40's were taken on spoons.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

howie blew apart two lower units and two sets of SS props last year by hitting floating debris floating in the bay and under VN .bridge .we repowered to 300 verado`s after picture was taken,todays looking for a place to bring the boat indoors because the engines are finish and Glendenning controls purchased and ready for installation.searching for a facility today price is no object.marina will remove top down to windshield for transport.

Last edited by bob lico on Dec 27th, '18, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL...New York harbor and around VZ is a whole story onto itself. Piers falling down and breaking apart can't be touched by orders of the EPA or something...so as they break apart they drift down river. Sometimes bits and pieces, other times huge timbers and chucks of piers...almost all floating low.

In high school I used to commercial fish for stripers with one of dads customers, that's when the harbor and bay were really bad. 26' open boat with a single diesel. He attached heavy wall SS tubes down the length of the boats underside. Coming off the keel he formed a cage around the wheel and rudder with the tubes. As we went from spot to spot he'd just tie off the wheel and keep an eye out for ships, tugs ferries as we changed baits, re rigged the poles. All night long we'd be hitting stuff, and some real big stuff, timbers, truck wheels, barrels, boat would almost stop at times then kinda climb over or around and then off we'd go. A little unnerving for awhile...then you kinda got used to it. Odd thing is that guy and his crew went out almost every night in that open boat, pitch black in all kinda conditions, banging into stuff then run up to Fulton to unload before sun came up and he couldn't swim a single stroke.

Yep, that boat will get you around quick.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl i never did this before or even witness this next act !!!!!! john Lane (owner fork river marina) will bring his 38' Henrique from fork river and tow the 38' Bertram from Raritan Marina to fork river the steering is intact but no engine,gears. we will remove props so shaft log does not need water flow.8" no-hub caps over exhaust (plumbing item) thru -hull valves shut. batteries are in the boat so will have at least three bilge pumps working . i am still a little nervous even on a "calm" winter day things can happen.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:carl i never did this before or even witness this next act !!!!!! john Lane (owner fork river marina) will bring his 38' Henrique from fork river and tow the 38' Bertram from Raritan Marina to fork river the steering is intact but no engine,gears. we will remove props so shaft log does not need water flow.8" no-hub caps over exhaust (plumbing item) thru -hull valves shut. batteries are in the boat so will have at least three bilge pumps working . i am still a little nervous even on a "calm" winter day things can happen.

Bob

Is john going to tow you off of his green stick? LOL

John is a hell of a tuna fisherman. Great Captain. But give him a bit of a hard time. Tell him rumors on the street are that he is afraid to get fish blood on his cloths. Make sure you do it at his shop so his guys are in on it. They love giving him a hard time.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob...that should be an interesting trip.

How top heavy is boat without motors and gears?
That would be my only concern, guess couldn't be much worse then some bubble boats...but lots of buoyancy with that deep v and little weight to holding it down in the water.
Then again its a Bertram and even without motors they do have lots of mass.
I can see being a bit nervous it is a descent ride on the outside with a Jersey inlet to deal with.
Maybe consider adding some ballast if it looks wonky.

Sounds like you found a great guy to work with.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

"top heavy" is a good point to consider carl.i can fill the 395 gallon fuel tank,100 gallons water tank in addition to the generator. that weight is on the centerline of keel located midships to transom. this 38' Bertram has a bridge with a soft top. i can also remove the 9kw Furuno radar. i guess we should put her in the water and find out.! ---------tony i will break his balls as you insist.we will be hunting tuna out of that same inlet when the boat is completed may even go with a greenstick myself.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Bob-Commercial tugs use chain because it is such a good shock absorber. Patch as much anchor chain into the tow line as possible especially since most pleasure boaters don't carry a sufficiently long tow line. And I worry about that large boat you will be towing tracking off course as it is towed.

Sounds like this will be an adventure with some risk involved, please post images of the tow underway.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i would never tow a boat OUT the fire island inlet but Raritan Bay to the ocean there are no inlets but 1000' super tankers and container ships that do not move even if you are ion one engine mode, lost steering ,or sinking .channel 16 is useless they don`t answer. i don`t know anything about the inlet to fork river marina i know John does. i have 40' of 3/8" chain and will bring.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

In raritan you'll be in close proximity to shipping channels, but you cross'em and done, see a ship or tug and tow, let'em go, they"ll be of little bother. Coming around the hook can be snotty, but I'm sure you"ll pick your day and won't be an issue.

Once past the hook, you'll have no need to go into Ambrose Channel, plenty of deep water all the way down the coast where you can stay in close and follow the shore. No ship issues.

The inlets can be lousey when it's bad...but again,you'll pick your day and shouldn't be an issue. Another plus is Jersey inlets while not a joke are short in comparison to Fire Island.

No comment on a tow chain other then he's not a tug and your not a barge. Somehow I have a feeling your bud towing has done this before and has a good idea of what works.
Last edited by Carl on Dec 30th, '18, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Bob your in safe hands with John haven’t personally met him but heard nothing but good things about him just pick your day right and you will have no problems. I have ran the shoreline many of days you will be good. Can’t wait to see the end results of your project. Safe travels down maybe I will stop down and see you.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bon

You will be coming In Barnega t inlet. Can be nasty on the wrong day. Like I said Jon
Th is good. He knows ivv it is a no got. He would not risk his boat or yours.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony you should know Barnegat inlet is not a good omen !!!!!!! the mid- seventies i raced in A-stock and the weather turned for the worst real fast so the officials put all offshore race boats in one race on the second turn we were bunch up i was driving a 21' A- stock and 48' open boats were next to me. needless to say i woke up in the ambulance next to a dead racer.The race helmet face shield shatter as i hit steering wheel and i had 26 stitches in and around the mouth ,a very long painful healing process. a little off subject but i have not been there since that day.thanks for the info.never realize Barnegat was the way to fork river.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You can come in Manasquan and take intercostal down. Plenty of water for a 38 and only no wake from canal to first bridge. Either way watch for blowout tides that's when the water gets skinny everywhere.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you JP . i would imagine John`s 38' draws at least 4'.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Bob ,jp s idea is something to think about, it is a shorter safer trip. If you do consider that route there is one bridge that you might have to call in advance for an opening ,let’s us know
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the problem with any passage inland is the fear of hitting the boat that is towing you! even slowing to 1 knot in anticipation of a stop and wait for bridge opening or a another boat that decides to stop in the channel presents a problem i have no way of stopping perhaps i could throw anchor from transom in a emergency to completely stop the boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Trust John.

Barnega is not as bad as it was years ago. Under two, coming in Barnegat on a flood tide is fine. She is only bad on an swell with West winds and an out going tide. Personally, if all is well at the inlet I would rather get towed in Barnegat and have a short Trip across the bay.

Once through the inlet it would be a an unhindered run to John's shop. About 6 miles from the inlet.

Manasquan you have to deal with the rail road bridge and then the Mantoloking Bridge. You can clear the Toms River Bridge without issues. Pretty nice ride up the bay if you are Howdy Boating.

Let John make the call.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes i will, he be doing the towing i be hanging on.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, this is "old school" for sure, but we all know how much drag a 5-gallon bucket provides when dipped overboard. Have two buckets in the cockpit attached by 10-15' lines to the aft cleats so in the event the towboat let's off the power in an emergency you can toss overboard. Off course, you'll be at the helm steering away from the towboat, so you could provide enough line to stow them on the bridge for quick release. Just a thought..........
Carl

Post by Carl »

I wouldn't over think it.

Prepare, pick your day and enjoy the ride.
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

So now that we have gotten so far off topic lol, Bob do you want to build me some props?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

phil is my good friend and owner at B%S props and he retired so i no longer have use of the facility however i build Mike O the correct props for his 4 cyl. powers 31Bertram. contact him all the prop information is on hub of props.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Thanks Bob, I'll reach out. While i have your attention, can you briefly explain why you like the zf 220 transmission vs the 63a? I was looking at the cut sheets and it shows the 63A has an 8 degree down angle vs 10 on the 220
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you indirectly answered your own question. number one you never want to exceed 4 degrees of down angle on your final engine installation and two degrees is even better. that being said you have a two degree advantage using the IRM-220 over the 63a. a very important factor when you are placing the engine as low as possible in hull and trying to create the least amount of shaft the least amount of angle. disregard existing shaft angle and install engine with IRM 220 (a much stronger set of gears BTW) remove entire shaft log slide on new temporary pvc. pipe shaft-log on to the new shaft and the results is you new shaft angle you will have to match by way of new shaft log (instructions in Capt. Patrick tips on how to make pvc shaft log) and realignment of structs.
Last edited by bob lico on Jan 2nd, '19, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

That's what i was missing, the 4 degree max down angle. Thanks Bob!!
Amberjack

Re: Hailing Bob Lico.2--large commercial vessels

Post by Amberjack »

This discussion has veered way off the prop topic but obviously has interested a lot of us. Interaction with large commercial carriers deserves a separate topic if I only knew how to do it.

Contact them on channel 13 Bridge to Bridge and they'll respond. They don't bother with ch 16 recreational traffic, probably because they can't do anything about it: they can't stop and can barely steer those ships.

When we were crossing Puget Sound traffic lanes in our sailboat (top speed 8 knots) on a regular basis, after a few heart pounding situations with our auxiliary redlined the rule of thumb became if we could see a ship on the horizon we steered a course to pass astern. Another surprise one day when patchy fog started to fill in--I expected the ship traffic to slow down, instead they sped up. I think they wanted to get out of the Puget Sound vessel traffic separation area before Vessel Traffic Control reacted to the fog and issued a mandatory speed reduction. It was scary to watch something that big go by at 20 knots and disappear into a fog patch.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Re: Hailing Bob Lico.2--large commercial vessels

Post by Carl »

Amberjack wrote: It was scary to watch something that big go by at 20 knots and disappear into a fog patch.

Think its scary watching them disappear...how about fogged in tight, hear a ship, hearing it pushing water...getting closer and closer.
Call out on 16 to see if they have a position on us...no answer.
Run up on bow leaning out over the bow rail to get away from our boats motors while trying to get an ear reading on where you "think" it is. Dad at the helm bridge with a hand on throttles, the other hand on the wheel waiting.

Louder louder...pretty sure its ahead off the port, then wall of black appears out of the fog a hundred feet or so as ship comes into view then goes by.

Bob- -

Why a max down angle of 4 deg on motors?

Think my setup with 63A's will put me at 3deg on motor giving 11 deg on shaft to turn a 20" wheel.
..but thought it could be setup to a 12 deg max if needed.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl that is exactly how you blow NUMBER one cylinder that is also part of the Cummins review for a new or remax. engine installation. 3 degrees is ok but no more.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob-

Wait wait wait...think I got why I am confused.

When you say max down angle of 4 degree's- - are you referring to the front end of motor(bow end) angled downwards?
That I can see as being not good...

...but cannot see why the back end could not be angled down, after all its gonna be angled down when running. Our boats do not run that bow proud, but thinking about a 32 Luhrs sportfish a friend runs with 6BTA's that you almost have to climb when moving forward as she runs real bow proud.
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

carl i'm guessing that if the engine was tipped back any further the oil wouldn't reach the cylinder closest to the bulkhead and would burn out.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

CLUE # 1 -------look at the oil pan ,now think if you tilt the engine forward(# 1 cylinder lower than # 6) were do you suppose the oil in the pan would go please note the oil pick up is in the bottom of the deep end of the oil pan
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

saburke17 wrote:carl i'm guessing that if the engine was tipped back any further the oil wouldn't reach the cylinder closest to the bulkhead and would burn out.
Can't be as when boats on plane the front comes up as boat goes on plane.

I believe what Bob saying by max down angle of 4 deg is the front cannot be lower then the back of motor. If it does oil will run forward in pan leaving the oil sump dry...dry sump no lube to motor...assuming number 1 is first to run dry.

Has to be that, as when they install v-drives they install motors the other way around with front up high to counter the boats angle when on plane. I believe the max angle is 12 degree. At 12 degrees the boat can run with motors almost level and still allow boat to climb a waves by a few more degrees before front becomes lower, oil sump runs dry.

I was just thrown by the term downangle as I had it turned around.

Then again I could be wrong.