How to Make 31 Bertram Towing Look Easy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ernie Sandoval

How to Make 31 Bertram Towing Look Easy

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

I thought I had it bad! This was taken in Ft. Stockton Texas on my way to Phoenix. Wind Generator blade destined for San Angelo Texas. Driver said whole package was 232' long. The guys working were fixing the bumper where he hit a deer. You'd think they'd pull these kind-of slow but I saw a set of trucks with blades the next day and they were really moving. Probably 80!

Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
Tony Meola

Re: How to Make 31 Bertram Towing Look Easy

Post by Tony Meola »

Wow That is some Blade.

I have not towed a 31 but I hear they actually move pretty easily.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Tony a 25 will go 80 and it doesn’t even flex the flybridge windscreen. Ray knew hydrodynamics as well as aerodynamics.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

It pulled pretty nice. I’d say I averaged 60-70 the whole way. It was 2500 miles from Miami to Cave Creek roughly. Averaged about 10 mpg. I think if I was doing it again I’d get a dually and an Aux fuel tank in the bed of the truck. It towed surprisingly straight and true.
Ernie Sandoval
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ernie

No one hassled you over having a wide load? Most States get crazy when you go over 8 feet.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Tony: I went online and got a oversized permit for Florida. It cost $18 and took 5 minutes. You can go over 8’ 6” but you have to get that permit. I think you can then go to 12’ on some roads (it checks your routing) and if you want to go to 14’ you have to have flag cars I think. The permit has some other stipulations (flags on corners, no night or holidays) but that’s about it. I didn’t get one for Alabama or Louisiana since I wouldn’t be there long. I did get one for Texas. They require a insurance bond for $10k. You can get that from your insurance company. It’s $100 per year. Permit for Texas was $65. I wasn’t able to get one for New Mexico or AZ. I rolled the dice on them. I just flat ran out of time. The width wasn’t too bad except where they were doing construction and had those concrete barricades in the road. Seemed like every time you got into those construction zones 20 semis would show up and get your blood pressure up a bit when they blew past you at 90. It always looked really close in those mirrors!
Ernie Sandoval
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

My 31 Bahia trailered from Lauderdale (Pompano) to Sag Harbor, NY without any permits.
It was under the radar until Pete P saw it on the LIE !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I don't know. Both you and Steve got lucky in those southern states without a permit. They would lock you up forever down there. Or some local yocal cop would just keep the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

I was a little nervous about the states I didn't have permits for too. A couple times the police drove by and gave me a wave!? I guess they weren’t too worried about it. I’m dreading California when I have to take it to Long Beach to ship it to Hawaii. Also the drive from Hilo to Kona should be interesting. No real good way to get around the island. I was thinking I should probably drop it straight in the water in Hilo and drive the boat around on it’s own hull. Then just pull the empty trailer. I guess I’ll deal with that as it comes. I can’t imagine trying to get an oversized permit in Hawaii. You can barely get your tags renewed over there without 30 Id’s!
Ernie Sandoval
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ernie

I have made that drive from Hilo to Kona. Long drive. I would not look forward to pulling a 10,000 load on those roads.

If you run it it might be faster and once you get around the southern end of the island past the volcano, it should be pretty flat. Otherwise given the winds on the Hilo side, I would say it could be sloppy.

Last time I was there was in 96 I am sure it is more crowded now. Fished on the Sundowner when the Isaacs ran it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The trip, southbound, must be around 200-250nm?
Not an easy alternative, right? Let alone the weather...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bertramp wrote:My 31 Bahia trailered from Lauderdale (Pompano) to Sag Harbor, NY without any permits.
It was under the radar until Pete P saw it on the LIE !!
what were the chances of that....
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Tony: You can’t believe how much the island has grown! I think I remember reading somewhere that the population has grown 82% since 2000. Kona even has rush hour traffic now. You can barely get down the high road in the morning before 8 am. I probably saw you over there and didn’t know it. I remember the Sundowner. I used to work for the Harbor Master moving the mooring balls around in Honokohau on my days off from Jack’s Diving Locker to make some extra cash. Kona was a small town back then. Everyone really helped each other out. They’d see bubbles in the water and you were soon talking story and “checking” something out. LOL. I always ended up changing zincs and cutting fishing line/nets off boats for the charter guys. I met the Issacs a few times. Black Bart and all those guys were there. Great fisherman! That seems like a million years ago. My uncle had a couple of boats in there since the early 70’s. He has a 35’ Cabo there now and I was fortunate enough to get the slip next to him that he has a little center console in. That’s how this Bertram purchase came about. I remember all the 31’s and 28’s there. I always loved that boat and someday knew I’d try to get my own. Feel free to drive the boat around South Point for me! Haha
Ernie Sandoval
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Yannis: I’m not sure how far it is by water. I know I definitely don’t want to drive on the smaller outer roads around the island. The saddle road (cuts through center of island) is like a highway now since they redid it. You’d still have to drive through some smaller neighborhoods to get to the wider part. By car that still might be the best option. Then get over by Waikoloa and go down to the low road into Kona. The worst part would be the steep ascent down to the low road. I’m still taking volunteers! The pay is terrible, accommodations small, waters warm, beer is cold and the fish is Ono (delicious)!!
Ernie Sandoval
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanx Ernie,

Its about to start snowing here, Im waiting for my son to come from abroad, I lit the fireplace, it’s winter...the sea and all boats can wait ...
All of them!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ernie

Darren ran the boat the day we went out. Really nice guy. Had my wife with me, and they could not be nicer. Unfortunately we lost the only billfish we raised that day. My wife had it on for about a minute. But hey that is fishing.

I gather you were born on the Island. Alwyas thought it would be a great place to retire too. I am suprised the housing prices are not even crazier than what they are. In fact, they compare to the prices we pay up here in New Jersey. I just could not figure out a way to get the boat from NJ to there on the cheap.

Good luck with the trip and keep up posted. If I ever get back there, I will look you up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Tony: The housing prices yo-yo around there a lot . Hawaii has always had itself tied to directly to tourism and when it goes down they go down. The Big Island is trying hard to diversify and also pull in some tech business. It seems to be working. Tons of new business. I personally believe there is going to be pretty steady growth. I travel for work and I fly between the islands sometimes. Many of the pilots I've talked to say that they just can't take Honolulu anymore. Way too expensive and super crowded. They are selling houses about $1000-1100 a SQ/FT. That's insane to me! You can get on the B.I.for $200-550 a SQ/FT. Cheaper is more rural but bigger lot and higher is in town. It just depends on where you want to live. Kona now has Costco, HD and Lowes. What else could a guy want!? I'm actually from Phoenix but spent every summer over there since I was 4. About 45 years I've been hanging around Kona. It truly is a special place to me. When you make it over don't hesitate to look me up. Maybe we can get a Marlin to stick!
Ernie Sandoval
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ernie

Back in 96 I spoke with some mainlanders who moved to the big island. They said it actually became cheaper and healthier for them. They stayed away from junk food due to the expense, and all fruits and vegies were fresh. They were down to one car and said they hardly ever ran the AC and of course the mode of dress for them were shorts and T shirts.

The said the added bonus was that they were too far away from family to just have them dropping by to stay a week. LOL

If I ever make it out there again I will let you know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315