Might have to move to Denver - what to do with my B38??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

incoming

Might have to move to Denver - what to do with my B38??

Post by incoming »

Just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys on this. I bought a B38 a year ago and have been investing heavily in her planning to keep her basically forever. She's unique in that she's a 1985 that was re-powered with 8.3L cummins in 2002, and had an interior refit (possibly around the same time, maybe more recently) with a unique layout in the saloon that works really well for us. We've yet to see a boat for sale for even twice what we paid for her that we like as much.

Life happens though and I've found I may have to move my family from the DC area to Denver. Its heartbreaking for the whole family to think of parting with her. But the only thing perhaps more heartbreaking would be to see her rot from not being used.

The way I see it, we have three options. We can sell the boat at a loss (probably get what we paid for it but not the ~50% more we've invested in it since) and hope one day to get back to a place where we can replace her. Maybe buy a solid hull in need of some love and have a complete re-fit done ourselves.

Alternatively, we could, over time, use much of our family vacation time to move her from the Chesapeake bay to the great lakes. It would be a great adventure. Once there, Chicago is a 2 1/2 hour flight from Denver, and I could see us perhaps flying out to the boat a couple of times a year to cruise the great lakes. Since it's fresh water, the hope would be that she won't degrade as fast even though she's only being used a couple of times a year. But still, from everything I know about diesels, freshwater notwithstanding, they do not like to sit. And with the cost of storing and maintaining this size boat, plus the cost of flights, etc., to swallow every time we want to use her - it would be a lot of money for not a lot of use.

Third option would be to put her into charter service in Florida or the Bahamas. I suspect she'd do well but I think with ~15 years already on the engines and the beating she'd take from being chartered, she'd probably be in need of a complete refit again within 3 years or so.

It's easy to say the smart thing to do is to just sell her. But I wanted to get some thoughts from a crowd that love their boats as much as I do. What do you think?
1985 Bertram 38 / 2002 6CTA 480CE's
Carl

Re: Might have to move to Denver - what to do with my B38??

Post by Carl »

Wow...you could not find a more landlocked spot in the country if you wanted to.

Tough call...

If it were me and glad it is not, I'd sell.

Storing with intent to use would have it sitting and sitting. I do not have the funds to pay someone to keep a boat in shape for me when not being used. So If and when I did finally make a trip to use I'd expect to be spending some time and money to get her up to speed. The thought of that alone would not make the trip high on my list of possible trips. Then you have the weather and conditions thing to deal with...get all ready and can't leave port...done that on a boating vacation.

Charter- - Unless you know your captain real well expect maintenance fees to be up there. Then of course your charters will not be treating your boat like it was theirs or like a friends boat being borrowed. There is a good reason charter boats are bare bones.

Forth option...put in a real big swimming pool, haul and launch the boat in there.
Any fair size lakes or ponds in the area?

Sorry to hear...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Incoming,

This is a real tough decision, albeit, not the toughest...
Keep this in mind, as whatever may ever happen to a boat, it’s still just a boat (so long as you avoid being in it while this happens)!

So, let’s see....
What really can go south in an unused boat is her mechanicals, of which the engines are the most important part.
The hull itself, for a grp boat like this, can remain in an optimal condition longer than any egyptian mummy.

Therefore, I would suggest you remove and sell the engines (anyhow they are already 15yo and they would further deteriorate if kept unused for such a long period) and store the rest of the boat in a store house for a very logical fee.
You can also remove expensive stuff so as to minimize insurance fees as well as bad temptations. For example your electronics or an expensive refrigerator or anything ...either sell it too, or take it home.

Upon your return, and having in mind that you already have a boat, also, knowing your needs well by now, you can take your time to find good engines of your choice and replace your old ones.
If you do the math I believe this is the most favorable solution, considering also that the state your old engines would be in when you return, might yet imply that you will either have to reman them or even...scrap them, as their value would have further declined.

So, you manage to keep your lovely boat with your investment in it, you save whatever you would eventually have to invest into another boat plus new improvements, you minimize storage costs (as your costs will only be storage fees and not running condition upkeep), you collect some cash from your old motors and you disburse at your ease when time comes!

Good luck!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
incoming

Post by incoming »

There are some nice lakes in the area but they aren't connected to anything. Transporting a boat that size over land to the continental divide, if it's even possible perhaps with significant disassembly, seems like it would be...prohibitively expensive. I'm guessing tens of thousands of dollars. The closest you can get by water is the Missouri river...maybe kansas city or something like that, still 8 hours away.

Yannis - interesting idea about removing the engines and storing the hull for future use. But I'm not sure I have the heart to tear her apart like that, even if I was to keep her. It sounds cheesy but I'd rather someone else have the ability to use her as is. If I'm willing to re-power something in the future I'm sure I'll be able to find B38 hulls in reasonable condition.

Appreciate the sanity check. I think I know what I'll have to do.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wow tough call.
Two and half hours to Chicago, the Gulf is probably about the same so is the West Coast. The cost of flights will kill you plus as the kids get older it will be harder to get them to fly to the boat for a week or two.

I know it is hard but one has to do what one has to do. If you decide to sell her, hopefully the new owner will take care of her. You can always ask him to give you first shot on the resale if they ever decide to sell it later on down the road.

I think your hands are tied on this one.

Remember one thing, no matter what you do, you are always welcome to continue to stay in touch through this board. The day may come when someone on her might be able to help you find another one.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

How about putting it on lake Powell? Then after a year or two on the great salt lake?
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Incoming,

Sorry to insist, but carefully removing two engines is not tearing apart anything. After you close down the hatches, nothing is even visible!
To use my previous analogy, the ancient egyptians removed all internal organs and brains from the pharaohs' bodies, so that their body wouldn't deteriorate...just do the same with a boat. Mummify it!

Then, what's the point to prefer someone else have the boat and enjoy her? I thought you said that it will be excessively difficult to find another similar boat even for twice the money...also, that you had sentiments with this boat in particular.

Lastly, to find another descent hull to repower in the future is feasible alright, however the hours you spent and the money you have already put into your current boat would have been lost. Repowering another 38 or similar boat is only a fraction of what you'll be asked to spend timewise and moneywise into any other vessel.
Unless there is someone today who's willing to offer you a deal that you cannot resist.

Whatever you choose, I wish you luck.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Sell her; in the end it'll cost you less and, more importantly, cause you less heartache if you know she's being used as intended rather than sitting idle. If you have time or, in lieu of that, a good broker you can make sure she goes to the right owner. When we bought our boat it was as much an interview of me by the seller as it was an examination of the boat by me- they wanted to be sure the boat was going to a owner who knew what they had and would be a good steward of a classic. Because of that process, we got to know each other well and the previous owner (now a friend) is welcome aboard anytime they choose. If you hit it just right you may be able to rid yourself of the obligation of ownership but retain the privilege of periodic use with the new owner.
Max
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis-

Pulling and selling motors kill any prospect of using the boat for a short while...find a couple week time period to fly out and make a voyage. Now to do that you have to go find motors, install and fix any hiccups.
If down the road its decided that the boat has to go...whats a 38' hull with no power worth?

Lay boat up long enough...by the time you get back into it your taste may have changed.
Around here, putting a boat of that size on the hard is going to run a couple grand a year...that is money that could be put towards buying another boat down the road.

Some people after being out of boating lose that desire to be out on the water. Many of the people who lost their boat in hurricane Sandy took the insurance money thinking of getting back in...but soon found other things to occupy their time and money.
Me, I laid mine up for 3 years, I was in little rush to go back...that was till I was walking the dog on the beach seeing guys pulling in a couple Stripers. That feeling in the gut had me go to boat and grab my surf pole...finding boat having been ransacked, no poles, no nothing of value left, I lost the interest for another year. But the urge came back, mostly by my wife and two girls pushing for it. Anyway, I still have my old boating buds out with me from time to time..they enjoy the day but at the end of the day they are good for quite some time.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I like Yannis' mummification option. I plan to do this to myself one of these days...my wife might help! :-D

Might be a forth option: Store the boat in the water with a caretaker to keep it exercised and operational. Ideally, find a yard that knows Bertrams, like Worton Creek. Rent a slip and let them keep it maintained while you are distracted in Denver.

The chances of finding another one are slim. I heard a good saying on American Pickers: "You never regret what you buy, only what you sell". I regret selling my 911, my Jeep, 68 Cougar, 13 ft Whaler, etc.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

C’mon Cam, you aint at mummification age yet, after all it takes at least 10 years to become eligible to even apply, lol!

Carl,

Of course it kills the option to use the boat every so often, you first said its difficult and expensive to even consider it.
The owner has to decide sentiment over economics.
If sentiment prevails (as was my interpretation of his first memo here) then mummification is the most suitable solution.
If economics is most important (that was not implied) then sell. But then, there aint no more nice sweet berty like this one, unless he disburses a ton of money in the future with dubious results.

PS: Puting a full boat in a marina or yard may indeed cost 2k per year. Puting a motorless boat in a shed away from comotion would be far cheaper...anywhere. Even under a pyramid.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cam- - Two happiest days of a boat owner...the day they buy their boat and the day they sell the boat.

Closest I came to being sentimental was selling my target rifle and selling my vette.
I had time for neither and they just sat and sat.

The car I felt bad as it went down the block, but soon as it made the turn at the corner, I had a sense of relief.

Yannis- -
Storage is great if you know your coming back.
Hoping to maybe come back maybe in a couple years and maybe use from time to time is another story.

Bringing a boat to a new location sounds great...but what if you find the place is not a place you want to be.
Part of boating is the people and places you use the boat.

Guy I bought my boat from wanted something smaller so he could fish the back bays by his summer house down the Jersey shore. He hated it there, brought boat back to Staten Island the following year.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I never assumed anything around if and when the owner would or wouldnt come back.
Nor did I assume that he may or may not take the boat to a new location.
How could I, how would I know?
I just suggested that if the boat is so dear to him, then, in order to be able to use it again he would rather mummify it.
He is the only one to know if his relocation is permanent, in which case, as others have also suggested, he should sell, as unfortunately the new location is deprived of beaches and reefs.

However, what youre saying about the people and places is spot on. As a matter of fact Im ready to admit its only people and places...almost nothing to do about the boat itself...bizarre but true...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: As a matter of fact Im ready to admit its only people and places...almost nothing to do about the boat itself...bizarre but true...

Not bizarre at all in my opinion.

A boat is just a tool to get me where I need to be...on, in or near the water. There is also something special about spending time with others that share in a similar enjoyment.

As to keeping, selling storing or mummifying...my thought is to toss out any and all options so someone can see what fits their needs. Sometimes its a new idea that get things rolling. Other times its sitting back and realizing this just isn't going to work for us, we are better just cut the ties now.

Me, I'd like to hear and know all the pitfalls before making a decision. I hate when things don't work out in the end someones says, yeah I was thinking that could be a problem.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,
Inasmuch I would feel embarassed to show to a business meeting in pink pants and a Travolta like shirt, similarly I would rather prefer to visit my friends at the beach in a Bertram, than in one of those round assed, single I/O, three bedroom 30 footers...equipped with ghetto blasters of similar aesthetics!
incoming

Post by incoming »

You guys are great. Regardless of what I decide I will definitely accept the invitation to stick around on the forum and, if nothing else, "boat vicariously" through you guys. And maybe start the ultimate find-an-old-bert-and-refit-it planning thread that will keep the wheels turning until the time comes I can get back to the coast.

I did consider the option of "loaning" the boat to a responsible friend who would use it, enjoy it, and maintain it. It just seems like the kind of thing that could end badly given the liabilities involved and the open ended notion of the fact that I have no idea when I'd ever get it back.

We'll see what happens. Maybe this will all work itself out and I'll end up staying put here on the East Coast.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl,
Inasmuch I would feel embarassed to show to a business meeting in pink pants and a Travolta like shirt, similarly I would rather prefer to visit my friends at the beach in a Bertram, than in one of those round assed, single I/O, three bedroom 30 footers...equipped with ghetto blasters of similar aesthetics!

LOL...I hear you Yannis.

But truth be told, I'd rather show up in one of those monstrosities then not show up at all.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Incoming-

Time does have a way of taking care of things.

Loaning the boat out...yes you have been thinking about every option.

But like you said it could end badly. Depends on the type of people you are and what issues pop up and who gets to take care of them.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Incoming,

Not even the “uncle from Chicago” * would consider paying the costs of a boat on which someone else is taking his trips and vacations, let alone paying for damages occured during the use of the boat, in his absence. Like Carl says, it is something I would certainly not consider as an alternative, simply because the probability of things going sour is too high.

* in the 50’s and 60’s, during the golden era of the greek cinema, a multitude of classic black and white films were produced.
It was that post war period where the country was poor and thousands of greeks had already moved to the US to find a better future than the one promissed to them by governments in the bombarded post war europe...
It was in one of those films that a certain acting character had managed, amidst a multitude of hardships, to survive and become rich in Chicago. He would eventually one day take the trip back to his hometown in greece, where he would show dressed in modern suits, driving modern cars and spending...dollars, something that was the equivalent of a modern day Midas, incarnating thus the american dream in the eyes of his relatives and old neighbors in awe.
So the phrase “the uncle from Chicago” has remained until today, and is still being used, as an expression to denote someone very rich and successful, someone to whom money is simply not a concern!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Man I never knew Carl and Yannis are such deep thinkers.

What we learn about each other from these threads is amazing.

Yannis you missed one thing. Cam is not saying he is ready to become a mummy. He is saying his wife is ready to make him one even if he is not ready. Most of us married folks know that feeling.

Now hopefully Incoming has found out what he is up against if he continues to socialize with us. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

Mummification cannot be exercised on living bodies...therefore Cam’s fear cannot materialize !

On another note, reading through this thread, I just realized where my misconception was.

I assumed, wrongly as it turns out, that whenever someone relocates for business, there should exist a definite time plan for his return back home. In other words, you are asked to move to the new location, you will spend X time there and you will eventually return to base. By definition.
This was based on my personal experience where twice in my business life I got transferred, or even hired, abroad, once in Paris, the other in Bucharest. Both times I knew, more or less, the period for which this transfer would be valid.

Where I mixed up, is that I didnt realize that any similar business transfer in the US may NOT be treated in the same manner as in my case...
Why? Simply because it is a transfer within the same country!
It’s different to be asked to move abroad without a predetermined timeframe, it appears more logical that one could be asked to relocate to another city within the same country, even without a concrete promise to return home, however important the distance.

For us, moving 1000 km away from home, may be 2-3 countries beyond our own, with a different language, school language, currency, ethics, customs, food...; for you, moving 3000 km away from home, you may still be within the same country!

It never crossed my mind that Incoming may not have been provided with a definite return schedule, so as to be able to plan exactly what to do with his Bertram...what a difference in conceptual thinking, even for everyday issues like this one!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Tony,

Mummification cannot be exercised on living bodies...therefore Cam’s fear cannot materialize !

Yannis- - With a statement like that I can only guess your not married.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I never have been, but I have a 20yo son who is half way through his studies in The Hague, Netherlands.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: On another note, reading through this thread, I just realized where my misconception was.

I assumed, wrongly as it turns out, that whenever someone relocates for business, there should exist a definite time plan for his return back home. In other words, you are asked to move to the new location, you will spend X time there and you will eventually return to base. By definition.

...what a difference in conceptual thinking, even for everyday issues like this one!

Interesting how we looked at the same question from two very different viewpoints.

I read it as may and hope to come back some day. Maybe if they relocated boat closer to where they are moving they "might" be able to find the time to use it there...someday.

If it was a couple year temporary move, for me that is a no brainer. Put boat on the hard, pickle motors, pull batteries, shrink wrap with plenty of ventilation and give her a kiss goodnight.

Depending on where you start and finish its between 2500 (4023km) and 3500(5632km) miles across the country.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

[/quote]

Yannis- - With a statement like that I can only guess your not married.[/quote]

Now THAT is funny!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
incoming

Post by incoming »

Carl wrote: I read it as may and hope to come back some day. Maybe if they relocated boat closer to where they are moving they "might" be able to find the time to use it there...someday.

If it was a couple year temporary move, for me that is a no brainer. Put boat on the hard, pickle motors, pull batteries, shrink wrap with plenty of ventilation and give her a kiss goodnight.
Carl has it right. I won't go into details but the short version is circumstances have changed requiring me to leave my current job. When we bought the boat we knew it was a possibility but we also thought regardless we'd be staying on the East Coast. But now that it's a reality one of the best opportunities is elsewhere. Nearly all of our family is on the East Coast and I've spent most of my life here so I believe we'll be back one day. Maybe just a few years? But I've talked to many, many people who thought the same thing when they made a move and it took them more like 10, 15 years before they made it back, if ever.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Denver's not a bad miss...
Your family will love the proximity to arguably the best skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling in the U.S.

Keep or sell the boat?
That's a personal thing.
The practical answer would be to sell.
But how practical are most boats to begin with.

Enjoy the ride out there.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I’d pickle it and tuck it away with some family or friends and attend to minimal refreshing when your turn to use her comes full circle. If what you say holds true to you, bought her right and sunk a bunch in her already Why take the beating on trying to find a better girl later? I’m a sentimental and once something is mine I hate parting with it.
That’s my $.02 good luck whatever you decide.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

MarkS wrote:I’d pickle it and tuck it away with some family or friends and attend to minimal refreshing when your turn to use her comes full circle. If what you say holds true to you, bought her right and sunk a bunch in her already Why take the beating on trying to find a better girl later? I’m a sentimental and once something is mine I hate parting with it.
That’s my $.02 good luck whatever you decide.

Tuck it away with family or frineds??

Its a 38' FBC...you'd better have some good family or friends, cause that thing is going to take up a pretty good portion of the driveway.

...ask a bud who has a condo with one parking spot if you can leave your boat with him for a bit. Bring that over and tell him you'll be back in a couple years.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

My dad bought his last boat a 55 Connie, that had been stored in a yard for 11 years tied up in an estate debacle. The yard mechanic had gone thru and pickled everything on board with a bi year visual check.

After dad bought the boat, it was put back in the water, all systems serviced and oil primed both engines and generators before start up. Everything worked fine with no issues related to the storage for the 8 years dad owned it.

If done right, anything can be put in storage for any length of time.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

What Bruce said is True.

But the issue is, if you never come home and she sits covered for 5 years, you may take more of a beating on the price. Someone is going to claim that they don't know what they are buying etc.

Tough decision. But I am like Mark. My 31 was my fathers, I could not let it go after he passed away. Too many memories and I just think the boat is perfect for what my wife and I do. We fish, we Howdy boat, If we want to run it on trip for a week it is perfect for that.

No matter what it all comes down to dollars and cents. Figure Two thousand a year to dry store it, over 8 years that is $16,000. If you don't come back east, that is lost money.

Toough call, because no matter what you do, at the end of the day you are going to say, I never should of.

I never should of sold it.
I never should have kept it.

Can't win on this one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

There's another possibility that nobody has mentioned yet, and maybe it just isn't realistic in your situation, whatever that might be, but consider this: if you are a boat person (and I assume you are, because you would not own the boat you do, and be on this site, if you weren't) you will not be happy living in the mountains far from any real water, no matter how good the skiing or anything else there may be. You say you grew up on the east coast, and your family is here---well, jobs, careers, and opportunities can be found anywhere, but you only get one family, one life to watch them grow up and show them what they need to know, and for those of us lucky enough, one perfect boat to do it with . . . . .

If at all possible, keep the boat, and store the job.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I kicked myself for selling the Anna E., and three years later bought Crows Nest from Doug. I don't miss the Anna E. at all anymore, except for sentimental stuff--lots of time on that boat when the kids were little. Sell the boat. There will always be another one. I see deals that I think are just great come up a few times a year. If you're on the fence, don't worry. Its November, and she probably won't sell until the spring--and then it may take some time to find a buyer. The market for older sporties is limited. I've looked at a few boats that had been left unattended in a yard. They were cheap (why I was looking) because they had gone to crap. The mechanicals sit, the interior gets dusty/dirty and musty, the seacocks and all the rubber gets questionable, pumps and impellers seize, and hopefully no critters have gotten into the boat. The boat will never be worth more than it is now. Sorry to sound negative, but go enjoy Colorado. Get some skis (not my thing), get a KTM (my thing) and enjoy your time out there with your family. I live on Kent Island if I can be of any help. Good luck.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tooeez wrote:you will not be happy living in the mountains far from any real water, no matter how good the skiing or anything else there may be.

I pretty much feel a need to be by the water...as you said real water.

That said, I could easily live upstate or rural area near a big lake or river with some real distance between me and my closest neighbor.
BUT I would vacation someplace with a beach, boat and it would be warm with good fishing....might have to be at least twice a year.
Then again...a new environment can bring about new interests for me and the family. Maybe something will fill that niche...might even be better.
I do love to ski...but that might be because it's too cold to be on the boat. The two interests never competed.

If heading back to the coast is a big maybe of the future...I'd sell boat, make a clean start where I needed to locate. If in the future we no longer needed to be there, the family and I are all in agreement that the coast is calling, move back and find another boat. It may not be the ol'boat you had but does it really matter? Its the family, friends and being on the water that counts. New boat don't work, look for another...
A boats a boat...just a tool, a thing...its stuff that can be replaced.

...flip to that. Coming back someday...store it and it will be there for when you get back.

I am decisively indecisive most of the time.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Carl out here in flyover there is lots of open country and a lot of barns that have space. Also coming from shirt off my back land there is no problem finding a place for a boat that size or even a little bigger. Please don’t take this the wrong way but I forget about the east coast being crowded with folks and every square foot somebody wants to make a dollar off you. Different lifestyle out here we look out for friends and family.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not being taken the wrong way, no worries.

If you have open country with lots of space on your property, yes a 38' FBC is not a problem to store for a bud or a friend.

Where I am, most homes don't have a spare 38'. That could be their entire driveway or backyard...for some it would be both. Plus we are not talking a slender, low profile go fast.

I think about my inlaws or my sisters home...driveway in front of garage, maybe 15' long from sidewalk to house. Sidewalk must remain clear or its a ticket. They have driveway on side of house, but only 10' wide. Stick boat up there it would be on neighbors driveway...by a few feet. Good neighbors, but do they want a boat taking up half their driveway? And for how long...not sure...maybe several years.

We too look out for friends and family...but we have different constraints, space is one of them. Can't give what you don't have.
Those that have the space...chances are they are paying quite abit for it aside from what they paid for it, real estate taxes are ridiculous.
Then comes the eyesore aspect...boats going to be front and center no matter where it goes...lots of neighbors and there is bound to be one that complains. And while I am not 100% sure, I have a feeling that kind of boat is not going to be allowed legally.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I think Mark just offered space in his yard to store a big Bertram.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You will also need a C130 to drop it from.
Can Mark provide that too, lol?
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

No good deed goes unpunished! ;)

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:You will also need a C130 to drop it from.
Can Mark provide that too, lol?

I can talk with my nephew and see if any of his friends can help out. One of his crazy pilot friends probably has access to one or two.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

From what I understand Mr John Haszard flew some transporters in and around that size...another plus, he's located in the right neck of the woods, Va by Chesapeake.
So Tony, you dig up the plane and we may have a pilot.

I think we have a plan.

Mark, If you don't mind, please tidy up a spot for a 38' plus maybe a little room for John to land.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

No, no Carl, no need for a landing patch, its gonna be an airdrop. With the crate!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- - Air drop you say? Well one thing is for sure you do think outside the box.

I'd like to be on the phone when he's asking his agent to make sure the boats policy covers an air drop or will an extra rider be required.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BACK TO REALITY...

I like the idea of using vacation time to move her from home port to the great lakes, with planning could be a ton of fun especially if you can secure long term storage along the way. Once in the great lakes I wonder if a land transport over to the Mississippi and down into the gulf could be another leg to it.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John F.

Post by John F. »

More reality...check the height. I'm guessing she's tall and can't go over land without removing the flybridge. Big and expensive job.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:BACK TO REALITY...

I like the idea of using vacation time to move her from home port to the great lakes, with planning could be a ton of fun especially if you can secure long term storage along the way. Once in the great lakes I wonder if a land transport over to the Mississippi and down into the gulf could be another leg to it.

Pete- Pool up the "Great Loop".

Guys in my club do it, we constantly have "loopers" come stay at our place on there way around.
Cool trip for sure, no land transport needed.

Here's a link

http://captainjohn.org/

...and you know, that is not a bad idea Pete.
Some of the people do a leg, fly home to catch up on things. Then when ready for next leg fly back out for another leg or two, depending on time and schedules.
It's one way to get out and see what areas interest you the most.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I have friends that have done it! From Green Bay to Nawlins.

Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

How about taking on some co-owners who could help with the money and upkeep?
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Its very difficult to work.
I ve done it in the past, owning a Whaler 50-50%.
Apart from usage-time frictions (which are perhaps not applicable here), you have differences in perceptions on improvements, on usage habbits e.g. max rpm and speed agreement, various costs’ approvals etc., even down to who pays for this or that failure.
We ended up selling the boat...
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Hardest ship to float, a partnership. Been there hated it.