Perko Parts Replate?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ernie Sandoval

Perko Parts Replate?

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Can I replate these Perko interior parts or do I just replace them with something new? Everything is fairly pitted and when I tried to polish them there were pockmarks in the chrome. Is it cost prohibitive to restore? I think the outside chaulks and the like will have to be redone? They look like they could be expensive! Thanks for all the help!!
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
Carl

Re: Perko Parts Replate?

Post by Carl »

Alot depends on the places that do re-chroming around you.

In my area they don't mind the chroming part, but asking them to strip, buff and prep for chrome...they charge like they are doing brain surgery on Einstein.

I'll admit it is alot of work to prep for chrome, especially on some items and that has to be paid for. For some items, like our Bow Chock, rear cleats and hawse pipes, I had then done. Not going to find exact replacements so I didn't mind laying out some extra bucks to have re-chromed. But other items, pull them off and change them out with replacements.
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Ok, thanks Carl. That’s what I was starting to think. I just had no idea how expensive it was. The interior new stuff isn’t too bad on price. On the plus side I can upgrade to LED lighting.
Ernie Sandoval
Carl

Post by Carl »

Don't hold me to these numbers as it was almost 12 years ago, but for the two hawse pipes and two rear cleats I believe the bill was about $250 from a company I do a fair amount of plating with. I also told him not to bother polishing the ID or the outside of pipe, just the top and start of radius going in. He was the most reasonable.

The side cleats I was able to buy solid SS Cleats that matched up just about perfect in the $30-$40 neighborhood.
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Thank you! I’ll call a few places and update so people reading might have an updated ballpark. I was also thinking about going the SS route but sort-of wanted to stay original? Hey Carl, do you know if the window hardware is worth getting and making the center windows open up? The windows are missing all the hardware (would love a pic) and totally sealed up. Do they leak like crazy when not silconned up? I had a Grand Banks that had those type windows and I loved them. So nice to turn the generator off and get those cool breezes through the cabin.
Ernie Sandoval
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

You have hit one of my hot buttons here…

Maybe I shouldn’t speak critically of a major vendor here, but IMHO Perko products are for the most part grossly overpriced crap.

My experience with Perko products is that after a couple of years exposed to the elements their surfaces become rough and ugly.

When I replaced all my deck fittings on “Phoenix” three years ago I used solid stainless steel exclusively. They won’t get all pimply and corroded like Perko’s stuff does, instead they will last forever. In many cases you will find Perko’s prices are actually higher than stainless. I favor Suncor products, but I have used Sea Dog also with excellent success, and there are other good stainless suppliers if you look for them.

I won’t allow Perko products on my boat.

Enough said?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Carl

Post by Carl »

IRGuy wrote:You have hit one of my hot buttons here…

Maybe I shouldn’t speak critically of a major vendor here, but IMHO Perko products are for the most part grossly overpriced crap.

My experience with Perko products is that after a couple of years exposed to the elements their surfaces become rough and ugly.

When I replaced all my deck fittings on “Phoenix” three years ago I used solid stainless steel exclusively. They won’t get all pimply and corroded like Perko’s stuff does, instead they will last forever. In many cases you will find Perko’s prices are actually higher than stainless. I favor Suncor products, but I have used Sea Dog also with excellent success, and there are other good stainless suppliers if you look for them.

I won’t allow Perko products on my boat.

Enough said?

True....Perko "used" to be pretty good stuff back in the day when our boats were made. Alot of the items Perko is the OEM.
Today its alot of shiny crap. Downside is trying to find other manufacturers for some of the items.
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

I guess if I have to make a switch to SS then this is the time to do it. Thankfully the interior stuff is pretty minor. Is that bow cleat/lights a “Bertram” specialty item?
Ernie Sandoval
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Yes. the box chock is unique. I had mine re-chromed for $$$. I have been buying quite a few parts from Gemlux. http://www.gemlux.com/

Quality in my hands feels good, and the prices are reasonable. You can get "deals" on their close-outs page.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

[quote="CamB25" You can get "deals" on their close-outs page.[/quote]

Your a luckier person then me...the only time I ever seem to find stuff on "Close Out" pages is after I bought and installed one at full price.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Carl wrote:[quote="CamB25" You can get "deals" on their close-outs page.

Your a luckier person then me...the only time I ever seem to find stuff on "Close Out" pages is after I bought and installed one at full price.[/quote]

The trick is to spend 10 years on the project....everything is bound to go on sale at some point! Of course, most of my parts have started to turn to dust from lack of use!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

CamB25 wrote: The trick is to spend 10 years on the project....everything is bound to go on sale at some point! Of course, most of my parts have started to turn to dust from lack of use!

LOL...you crack me up.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Cam...

Only 10 years?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!