70’ spencer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marlin

70’ spencer

Post by Marlin »

Peter, looking for a surveyor in Daytona area for the pre purchase inspection, Hull, motors , wiring, sea keeper ,running gear, glass boat so should not hull issues. Any recommendations
Pete Fallon

Re: 70’ spencer

Post by Pete Fallon »

Marlin,
When do you need the survey done? I am going to get my certification back in the early spring. I just had my knee replaced 2 weeks ago with complete success, however I will be out of action until April doing rehab and getting strength back.
I would recommend the guy I referred all my Florida business to Brian Stetler in Jupiter 561-312-7544, he knows his stuff and he will charge travel time and lodging.
What happened to the last cold molded Carolina built boat that you had a couple of years ago? What is the name of the boat, I was on one in 2014 that was a 70 footer at the Miami or FT Lauderdale Boat Show, really nice boat.You change big sportfishers like I change knee implants. Happy Thanksgiving.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Been following the post on your kne issue, hope they finally got it rite. 2 weeks ago off West End, grand Bahama, a rod let go in the 1800 MAN , Strb engine, port engine shut down with the fire system because of all the oil hitting exhaust components, guest spent the nite at sea fortunately in shallow water near the port. Dozen Boat passed by this smoking Boat , no one stopped to help, Capt did a great job of comforting the guest. Finally able to get tow Boat over for the 12 tow in heavy seas, could not run the seakeepers as they were under oil! Will take months to R&R the long block. The 70 is a couple years old, 500 hours and hopeful ready to fish with Cats. I’ll give him a call, take care and if u get south ,call me
Dug

Post by Dug »

Marlin, that is not good. But good luck with the 70 Spencer!!! Sounds like a heck of an alternative ride and I like the engine package!

Dug
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Marlin,

If you are still looking for a Spencer, Worton Creek is finishing up the work on the 74. I was on the boat today, pretty amazing. 2600 MTUs, 48 knots.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Thx, putting in 2 new motors, insurance covered total cost of the one that blew the rods, I was going to have a 2 year old boat with 1 engine at 0 hours and the other at 3000 hours, had to make the boat marketable in the future. Boat out of service till March/ April. Have the 42 margaritavitch in Green Turtle till the 62 is back
Carl

Post by Carl »

Desperate times call for desperate measures, good that you have a backup!

On a serious note...makes sense to change them both. Becomes new power and the work and prep to pull and replace one...if you have the means when your in there do them both. Any word as to why the rod let go?
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

1880 Man -V12 configuration, 2 oil pumps, the computer says the rear oil pump quit hence, #6&#12 rod bearing didn’t get lubrucation and both rod seized up, haven’t seen the outboard side yet but 4” hole inside aft on block with bent rod sticking out, pieces of rings, sleeve ,piston lying in the bilge
Carl

Post by Carl »

Oil pressure alarm did not go off or happened too quick?